Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #16
lamboguy

please tell Eddie that we all need him and love him and that he has friends here that care about him.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 09:31 AM   #17
onefast99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Stay strong.

Who is going to win the Stanley Cup?
Rangers in 7....
Old 11-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #18
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
Layers of agony. I turned to my buddy when Julian made his move and said it was too early. Oh well, the memories were priceless.
Yes they were. Big picture in life, we remember great wins and bad losses, and both are what makes it great, as long as neither ruins or runs your life. Like what I just did there?

Is Eddie's "cancer" really serious? I hope he's doing well, I just suspect a lot of people get a cultural shock from the term and it might not be as serious as it sounds just with a blanket word from the outside. I'm hoping that's the case, at least.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 11:00 AM   #19
RunDustyRun

If he is not going to be on the broadcast for the BC I would guess it is serious...wish him well as I really enjoy his commentary...you can tell he is a big fan of the sport
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #20
headhawg
crusty old guy

I met Edzo right after he signed with the Blackhawks. He came into the local community college, and I happened to be working as a student service aide. I recognized him right away so I made sure I was the one to help him. I wanted to meet him again so I could buy him a beverage and share a story about that meeting plus talk to him about a couple of parallels in our lives, handicapping being one of them.

Wishing you all the best Eddie O. Stay strong and beat this thing.
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 AM   #21
stuball

Prayin for you Eddie

I was always looking for you on the telecasts of horse racing and have a huge respect for your knowledge of the game...I always included your picks and am glad to say it has worked out well..I hope a full recovery for you and wish the best of the best for you now and forever....

Stuball
stuball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-02-2017, 05:07 PM   #22
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonSoupKid View Post
Yes they were. Big picture in life, we remember great wins and bad losses, and both are what makes it great, as long as neither ruins or runs your life. Like what I just did there?

Is Eddie's "cancer" really serious? I hope he's doing well, I just suspect a lot of people get a cultural shock from the term and it might not be as serious as it sounds just with a blanket word from the outside. I'm hoping that's the case, at least.
Eddie has returned to call Blackhawk games. The issue is he wants to focus on the treatment of his cancer. I do not know how bad it is or if it has spread. He is a super guy who I think all would love to spend time with and drink a beer while talking about horses. (Or even Bob Costas' toupee)

One thing we can all take from this is the need for males over 50 or those that have a family history of cancer to have a colonoscopy performed per your doctor's instructions.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 03:37 PM   #23
bishlap

good luck - best wishes, Eddie.
bishlap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 PM   #24
clicknow

I wish Eddie the best of luck, in taking care of himself and his health.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
One thing we can all take from this is the need for males over 50 or those that have a family history of cancer to have a colonoscopy performed per your doctor's instructions.
Women, too. I can't express this too strongly:

I would have full blown colon cancer, NOW, if I had not had a colonoscopy. I had grown a very large polyp that as not removable by the gastro during the coolonscopy and so I had to see a surgeon. IT was so large the surgeon even said "holy cow!" when he saw the photos. He was able to get it all out, and it's a good thing, because the pathology came back "cancer in situ", i.e. cancer was contained w/in the growth.

Unfortunately this means I have to have colonoscopy every 6 months, probably for rest of my life, since i am prone to the "bad kind" of polyps. Had this thing been allowed to grow...well, they would have had to take part of my colon out at the very least.

However, colon cancer, if caught early, is one of the most CURABLE cancers.

Just a public service announcement.......schedule a colonscopy if you are 50 or over.......do it NOW. Buy it as a Xmas present to yourself.

BTW, I am extremely healthy, take no medications, don't eat processed foods or junk or fast foods, and swim and walk every single day. There was no way I would have known I had this "thing" if I had not gone for that colonscopy, and am as a result, cancer-free.

sorry for the diversion......I just really wanted to express the importance of doing this.

Last edited by clicknow; 11-04-2017 at 09:35 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #25
mlyles1

So true Clicknow. I lost my mom to colon cancer at 56. She was stubborn and would never go to the doctor. If you have someone who you care about 50+, please make them get it done.
mlyles1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-05-2017, 11:57 AM   #26
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I wish Eddie the best of luck, in taking care of himself and his health.

Women, too. I can't express this too strongly:

I would have full blown colon cancer, NOW, if I had not had a colonoscopy. I had grown a very large polyp that as not removable by the gastro during the coolonscopy and so I had to see a surgeon. IT was so large the surgeon even said "holy cow!" when he saw the photos. He was able to get it all out, and it's a good thing, because the pathology came back "cancer in situ", i.e. cancer was contained w/in the growth.

Unfortunately this means I have to have colonoscopy every 6 months, probably for rest of my life, since i am prone to the "bad kind" of polyps. Had this thing been allowed to grow...well, they would have had to take part of my colon out at the very least.

However, colon cancer, if caught early, is one of the most CURABLE cancers.

Just a public service announcement.......schedule a colonscopy if you are 50 or over.......do it NOW. Buy it as a Xmas present to yourself.

BTW, I am extremely healthy, take no medications, don't eat processed foods or junk or fast foods, and swim and walk every single day. There was no way I would have known I had this "thing" if I had not gone for that colonscopy, and am as a result, cancer-free.

sorry for the diversion......I just really wanted to express the importance of doing this.
very worthwhile info. i get both a colonoscopy and endoscopy every other year. its the few times that i could ever endorse going to see a doctor for. when they can cut it out before it spreads you are improving your odds. if its already spread there is little that the doctors can do for you.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2017, 10:58 AM   #27
LemonSoupKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlyles1 View Post
So true Clicknow. I lost my mom to colon cancer at 56. She was stubborn and would never go to the doctor. If you have someone who you care about 50+, please make them get it done.
Sorry for your loss, but part of patient autonomy is also that desire to refuse treatment. Also, the costs in every way can be enormous. If you do in fact pay for health insurance (they are truly premiums) of course you should undergo at least decade screening as suggested above, at ages 50 and 60. If clean, you're likely not gonna get anything meaningful, even if you live much longer.
LemonSoupKid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 04:08 PM   #28
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Good news on Eddie!!!!

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/2...es-cancer-free
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:15 PM   #29
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Some much needed good news around here! Very happy to read this.
PaceAdvantage is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-23-2018, 04:35 PM   #30
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Some much needed good news around here! Very happy to read this.
Yes it is. Hopefully I'll see in at Pimlico in May

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: