Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 03-17-2018, 10:59 AM   #31
timtam

I too purchased many systems from RPM. Back in 2014 I bought a system and I thought it looked familiar. The advertising was new but I kept remembering certain things looked the same so low and behold it was the exact same system I bought in the late 80's. I did get a refund but am leary ever since.

Also another thing that's happening is they are taking they're old paper and pencil methods and putting them into software and selling them as brand new
systems. Actually some are so simple you can figure them out by hand faster than downloading and running the program.

What I do now when I get a " new system " flyer is check the examples and you
can actually get a good idea of what they are doing by comparing the program
data and if you have the pp's you can system detect what the jist of the system is trying to give you. It saves a lot of money and actually you can learn
a new angle or two but nothing to make you rich.

One of the worst things I detected was they were selling a system advertised as
brand new and it was in Making Money at the Races by Mike Barr ( I think that
was the correct title) which was originally put out in the late 50's.

On a positive side they do offer refunds and I've called them plenty of times in my younger days and they always honored refunds and were very cordial on the
phone. If your looking for different ways to look at a race some of their products are ok but it will never make money over the long haul.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 11:12 PM   #32
Pensacola Pete
Veteran

Steve Wolson had a booklet called Power Numbers. I don't know if he ever put it into his software.
Pensacola Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-17-2018, 11:16 PM   #33
Afleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyRacer View Post
Hi Afleet,

I remember the program and was able to find the manual and 2 disc's. Copyright goes back to 1994. It looked like an interesting program for that time with its option tables. I never used it because the files were $5 apiece or $2.50 for Gold club members.

Like Prof.Factor I downloaded the "CG32v20.exe" file from the above link. I tried to install on Windows 10 64 bit computer with the idea of running it in dosbox, but Windows didn't recognize the file and blocked it. I run Windows XP 32 in a virtual window(Vmware Player) and was able to install and open it there.

It uses a datafile with a MT2 extension which Bris doesn't sell anymore. I was able to get an old MT2 sample file and the program loaded it and ran. I wondered if it's file format might be the same as Bris's Single File Format. I change the MT2 extension on the sample file to drf and tried to loaded it into several programs that I have and it loaded and ran just fine. I then took a recent single file formated file and change the drf extension to MT2 and loaded it into the program and it ran ok.

The single file format does have the drf speed and varient ratings in it. The thing it doesn't have is the Bris Class rating for each pace line. The program gives you the choice of using the Bris Class rating, Bris Speed rating or the DRF Speed and varient rating or a combination of any of them. The program recommend the Bris Class rating, but it's not in this file. Probably best to use the Bris Speed rating.

If you want to use the Bris Class rating, then you might try downloading the Multicaps file (mcp). It does contain the Bris Class and Race ratings. Just change the extension from mcp to MT2 and it should probably work. The Multicaps file is more expensive.

Didn't really expect these files to work because there is usually a check-sum number at the end of each line that the program is suppose to look for and won't run without it. This program is so old that it was probably not built into it.

After installing the program on Windows Xp, I was able to copy the CGOL folder and paste it back on my Windows 10 computer. I was then able to get it to run in Dosbox but haven't taken the time to set it all up. You will also need to add some new tracks and Best Times to the tables in the program and set preferences. Hope this works for you.
Thanks for the help!
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply