Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-12-2019, 05:45 PM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Happy Loving Day

U.S. Supreme Court Decision, Loving vs. Virginia, 12 June 1967, struck down anti-miscegenation laws in the U.S. Interracial marriage is constitutional right.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:43 PM   #2
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

12 June 1994....OJ murders his wife.
Not much love there.
Old 06-12-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Not much love there.
December 30, 1975

Tiger Woods born.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Not much love there.
Depends on how you slice it.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-12-2019, 10:02 PM   #5
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Love hurts!
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM   #6
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Love hurts!
Yea, yea
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #7
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
U.S. Supreme Court Decision, Loving vs. Virginia, 12 June 1967, struck down anti-miscegenation laws in the U.S. Interracial marriage is constitutional right.
Another example of common sense overcoming so-called science steeped in Darwin's theory. Common sense triumphed over scientific racism, which proclaimed through scientific measurements certain human populations are inferior to others.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Peer reviewed, too.!
I thinkg a lot of them signed some document.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Another example of common sense overcoming so-called science steeped in Darwin's theory. Common sense triumphed over scientific racism, which proclaimed through scientific measurements certain human populations are inferior to others.
How so?

Quote:
The Supreme Court announced its ruling in Loving v. Virginia on June 12, 1967. In a unanimous decision, the justices found that Virginia's interracial marriage law violated the 14th Amendment to the Constitution.

They struck down racism left over from very deep dark south ant-black prejudices.
Old 06-14-2019, 12:11 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
How so?

They struck down racism left over from very deep dark south ant-black prejudices.
Would that be the same racism rooted in the dimwit party?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
How so?
Democrats created those old laws and SCIENCE supported the idea that Blacks were inferior.

Once the south went GOP, the racism dwindled.
Other than in people like Robert Byrd, of course.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:14 PM   #12
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
Democrats created those old laws and SCIENCE supported the idea that Blacks were inferior.

Once the south went GOP, the racism dwindled.
Other than in people like Robert Byrd, of course.
Ahem,the CONSERVATIVE Democrats kept black people down.And the LIBERAL Democrats and LIBERAL Republicans (the ones that are called RINO's but are conviently trotted out when needed)were the ones who passed the Civil Rights legislation.And people saw the courage of the black people down South facing down the Klan and the white power structure (which was pretty much the same thing).And I would call very few of those Souhern whites at that time liberals.

That's the reason most blacks remain loyal to the Democratic party.Many simply don't trust conservatives.
And the conservative party is mostly Republican.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-14-2019, 02:30 PM   #13
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

No. Democrats enacted those laws.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:46 PM   #14
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
How so?

False, the Court may have struck down a State Law, a State law based on scientific racism rooted throughout the world.

The American sociologist W. E. B. Du Bois once wrote, “The problem of the twentieth century is the problem of the color line.” His words were borne out, in part, by science. It was the century when the scientifically backed enterprise of eugenics—improving the genetic quality of white, European races by removing people deemed inferior—gained massive popularity, with advocates on both sides of the Atlantic. It would take the Holocaust to show the world the logical endpoint of such horrific ideology, discrediting much race-based science and forcing eugenics’ most hardline adherents into the shadows.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ISlHLCGUH7Q.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

It had to do with the belief of inferior genetics. At one time the Red Cross, not a southern institution, segregated blood banks, due to the belief black blood is inferior to and not compatible with white blood.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2019, 05:50 AM   #15
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
False, the Court may have struck down a State Law, a State law based on scientific racism rooted throughout the world.

The American sociologist W. E. B. Du Bois once wrote, “The problem of the twentieth century is the problem of the color line.” His words were borne out, in part, by science. It was the century when the scientifically backed enterprise of eugenics—improving the genetic quality of white, European races by removing people deemed inferior—gained massive popularity, with advocates on both sides of the Atlantic. It would take the Holocaust to show the world the logical endpoint of such horrific ideology, discrediting much race-based science and forcing eugenics’ most hardline adherents into the shadows.
Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ISlHLCGUH7Q.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

It had to do with the belief of inferior genetics. At one time the Red Cross, not a southern institution, segregated blood banks, due to the belief black blood is inferior to and not compatible with white blood.
You are using an exception in scientific attitudes towards race that had occurred in the early 1900's.
Quote:
W. E. B. Du Bois once wrote, “The problem of the twentieth century is the problem of the color line.”
.....was written in his 1903 treatise The Souls of Black Folk,

Yes it was continued by the Nazis as a twisted justification for their racial superiority like the phony use of
Quote:
Eugenics is the science of improving the human species by selectively mating people with specific desirable hereditary traits. It aims to reduce human suffering by “breeding out” disease, disabilities and so-called undesirable characteristics from the human population. Early supporters of eugenics believed people inherited mental illness, criminal tendencies and even poverty, and that these conditions could be bred out of the gene pool.
Your author...Ramin Skibba took this dim period in science out of context The height of the modern eugenics movement came in the late 19th and early 20th century. And fell into disrepute after WWII.

Modern scientific thought on the subject of race is very different than what was first believed as an outcome of bigotry and racial attitudes left over from the clash of the civil war and shortly after Jim Crow laws.

The Supreme court decision Loving vs. Virginia, 12 June 1967was a true reflection of the civil rights movement and rightfully decided not as a repudiation of eugenics or bogus racial theories long discarded by mainstream science.

Last edited by hcap; 06-15-2019 at 05:56 AM.
hcap is offline   Reply With Quote Reply