Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #46
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Police View Post
I guess I should have come out and just said the crowds at Keeneland are a result of great racing, great venue and a shorter meet, something a lot of tracks should look at. I was just commenting that Saratoga and Keeneland are doing things right and others might benefit from looking at what they are doing.
What you wrote is right.

As someone responded, these are boutique meets and are the exception rather than the rule.

This thread shows that racing has problems. Unfortunately, the industry refuses to address the biggest ones of all: Integrity & take out.

As long as young people think the game is crooked and a stupid bet, things will continue.
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #47
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream_Police View Post
I guess I should have come out and just said the crowds at Keeneland are a result of great racing, great venue and a shorter meet, something a lot of tracks should look at. I was just commenting that Saratoga and Keeneland are doing things right and others might benefit from looking at what they are doing.
Take away the picnic tables ans what is Saratoga doing so great?
I would guess more people go there to picnic and party than play races. They would be dean in winter. Look at Delmar with two meets.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #48
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Take away the picnic tables ans what is Saratoga doing so great?
I would guess more people go there to picnic and party than play races. They would be dean in winter. Look at Delmar with two meets.
Tom,

Well, they do have that very good chowder, right?

Seriously, though, you actually uttered a golden thought: SAR is committed to the success of SAR. Not just the track, but the whole town.

They care.

And the track is reasonably responsive to customer needs. Name another major track that does that.
Old 06-04-2019, 03:48 PM   #49
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
What you wrote is right.

As someone responded, these are boutique meets and are the exception rather than the rule.

This thread shows that racing has problems. Unfortunately, the industry refuses to address the biggest ones of all: Integrity & take out.

As long as young people think the game is crooked and a stupid bet, things will continue.
Unfortunately...this thought has gradually been conveyed to the OLD people, as well.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:06 PM   #50
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
........As long as young people think the game is crooked and a stupid bet, things will continue.
I don't recall a time when racing wasn't considered crooked. I think many handicappers prefer this viewpoint as an excuse for losing despite perfect handicapping.

I haven't heard or read that young people weren't betting because they thought the game was crooked. I have heard that they prefer other games with more favorable odds.
Old 06-04-2019, 04:22 PM   #51
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
I don't recall a time when racing wasn't considered crooked. I think many handicappers prefer this viewpoint as an excuse for losing despite perfect handicapping.

I haven't heard or read that young people weren't betting because they thought the game was crooked. I have heard that they prefer other games with more favorable odds.
In all my years at the racetracks and the OTBs, I don't think I've ever met a person, young or old...who has described horseracing as an "honest" game to play. The most that I've ever heard as a testament to the game's "integrity" is that, "only a minority of the trainers cheat"...and this has been the minority view, by my experience; most people think that cheating is much more prevalent than that.

In the old days...the sport could survive its tarnished reputation and its unfavorable odds, because it was the only legal gambling game in town. Alas...those days are long gone.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #52
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
In all my years at the racetracks and the OTBs, I don't think I've ever met a person, young or old...who has described horseracing as an "honest" game to play. The most that I've ever heard as a testament to the game's "integrity" is that, "only a minority of the trainers cheat"...and this has been the minority view, by my experience; most people think that cheating is much more prevalent than that.

In the old days...the sport could survive its tarnished reputation and its unfavorable odds, because it was the only legal gambling game in town. Alas...those days are long gone.
I just have a hard time believing that the "tarnished reputation" is much of a factor.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:10 PM   #53
thaskalos

Quote:
I just have a hard time believing that the "tarnished reputation" is much of a factor.
When the winning horse's odds are cut in half at around the time the horse rounds the final turn...what thought do you suppose is occupying the minds of the majority of the wagering customers?
Old 06-04-2019, 06:14 PM   #54
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
Would the young people start flocking to the track if the music of Dr. Dre became the main listening attraction?
Who?
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-04-2019, 06:52 PM   #55
AndyC

Quote:
When the winning horse's odds are cut in half at around the time the horse rounds the final turn...what thought do you suppose is occupying the minds of the majority of the wagering customers?
Good point, it just never hit me as being crooked.
Old 06-04-2019, 07:19 PM   #56
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Indeed!

Back in the 70s and 80s I used to buy a "sports almanac" every year. I remember that the #1 spectator sport in the world was always horse racing.

That all changed around 1986 or so. As I recall, that was when the tax laws changed. Really has been the kiss of death for racing.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #57
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Good point, it just never hit me as being crooked.
Never occurred to me it wasn't.
I realize now much of what I thought was crooked was just plain old incompetence.

But there is still a lot of crooked stuff going on in racing.
Past posting, doping, stiffing.....
Old 06-04-2019, 11:44 PM   #58
AndyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Never occurred to me it wasn't.
I realize now much of what I thought was crooked was just plain old incompetence.

But there is still a lot of crooked stuff going on in racing.
Past posting, doping, stiffing.....
I was referring to the late-odds changes. Everything else is/was suspect.
Old 06-05-2019, 12:05 AM   #59
bob60566
Vancouver Island

[QUOTE=thaskalos;2475855]When the winning horse's odds are cut in half at around the time the horse rounds the final turn...what thought do you suppose is occupying the minds of the majority of the wagering customers?[/QUOTE]

It is a joke played out to often.
bob60566 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 AM   #60
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

How about a DFL wager?

Which horse will finish dead ass last?

Everybody complains about being a loser at the track; even the 1st timer. How about a wager on the horse that will finish dead last? Would be the same as any other pool, right? At least give everybody's lovable loser a shot at glory, amirite?

How about a $.10 P6 DFL jackpot carryover as well?

A 99/1 now becomes 1/5.

You could roll home and say my picks finished dead last every race, and yet I won $5K.

Last edited by Lemon Drop Husker; 06-05-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply