Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 06-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #1
willphorse

Question/Opinions?

Good Afternoon PA Friends...

I am in search of opinions....

As I move forward with my SNAPSHOT software, what direction should I take?

It seems as though the graphs are hard to read for many. Handicappers don't want some weird graph to look at and attempt to interpret correctly. I have had the past few months to analyze prior to posting, so I am able to read it fairly well, but it probably will not be able to be utilized by many "old time pen and paper handicappers".

My question is this.... Would it be better to offer the graphs, full card selections, longshot selections, or best bets?

This truly has been eye opening for me, but now looking for which direction to take it.

Any opinions are appreciated!
willphorse is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2019, 02:21 PM   #2
Bogo

I appreciate your posts. I personally would like selections with a reason. The reason can be speed ,class, or anything else that you find has been useful at a given track. Although many people post quality selections it is hard for me to learn anything from them without knowing how they arrived at the selection. Thanks for sharing.
Bogo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #3
willphorse

Absolutely! I'll be honest Bogo, my posts recently have been without even looking at a program other than my software. With the success its had without even looking at a program, it can be extremely useful in conjunction with handicapping the program manually.

Thank you very much for the opinion. Will do my best in the future to give a great reason along with the selections.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
willphorse

Also wanted to touch on something...

Handicappers are designated as Class/Speed/Form, etc...

Why does everyone follow the same path? Most handicappers lose on a daily basis. If that is the case, why handicap a race the exact same way is half of the public?

If you go by speed/form/class, etc, typically you end up with the favorite right? Isn’t that because the majority of the public are using the same factors?

Rather than classifying horses by those demographics, why not relying on pure science? NFL now keeps track of scientific statistics such as running speed, ball height, velocity, etc. Why can’t these same statistics transfer over to Horse Racing? They are athletes after all, right?

With this in mind, this software was developed to the best of my scientific capabilities. It breaks down velocities at each call, taking into consideration ground covered, racing covered or uncovered, etc.

The goal is to get an idea which horses grind, which horses make a major brush, etc. After this information is compiled into a graph. The goal is to be close! If, at this point, you have an idea of who could be close based on today’s field, post, and track conditions, then it all comes down to trip.

It is mathematically, scientifically, and humanly impossible to predict trip. However, you should be close enough with this, that with proper betting techniques and patient wagering, is it possible to make money consistently at the track?
Old 06-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #5
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willphorse View Post
Also wanted to touch on something...

Handicappers are designated as Class/Speed/Form, etc...

Why does everyone follow the same path? Most handicappers lose on a daily basis. If that is the case, why handicap a race the exact same way is half of the public?

If you go by speed/form/class, etc, typically you end up with the favorite right? Isn’t that because the majority of the public are using the same factors?

Rather than classifying horses by those demographics, why not relying on pure science? NFL now keeps track of scientific statistics such as running speed, ball height, velocity, etc. Why can’t these same statistics transfer over to Horse Racing? They are athletes after all, right?

With this in mind, this software was developed to the best of my scientific capabilities. It breaks down velocities at each call, taking into consideration ground covered, racing covered or uncovered, etc.

The goal is to get an idea which horses grind, which horses make a major brush, etc. After this information is compiled into a graph. The goal is to be close! If, at this point, you have an idea of who could be close based on today’s field, post, and track conditions, then it all comes down to trip.

It is mathematically, scientifically, and humanly impossible to predict trip. However, you should be close enough with this, that with proper betting techniques and patient wagering, is it possible to make money consistently at the track?
Most handicappers may look at the same factors. However, the way some interpret it may differ than others. Some may use a certain race while someone else tosses it for a particular reason. Some may average out the last 3 while others are averaging the last 5....etc...
Old 06-08-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
willphorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachv30 View Post
Most handicappers may look at the same factors. However, the way some interpret it may differ than others. Some may use a certain race while someone else tosses it for a particular reason. Some may average out the last 3 while others are averaging the last 5....etc...
Excellent point!! That’s the great part of handicapping; Everyone decides their own fate. Doesn’t make it right or wrong.

I know some old ladies at the track that play $2 a race in $0.10 Super Quick Picks....it is their choice how they spend their money.

Doesn’t make it right or wrong... but let me ask this...

Is it possible to use the same factors, race after race, and make a profit? How many times has one looked at the program after a race and think “HOW DID THIS HORSE WIN... NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!”

Just trying to look at things from a different perspective instead of the run of the mill, class, speed and form.

Not saying it’s right, wrong, or indifferent... just creating a conversation lol
Old 06-08-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by willphorse View Post
Excellent point!! That’s the great part of handicapping; Everyone decides their own fate. Doesn’t make it right or wrong.

I know some old ladies at the track that play $2 a race in $0.10 Super Quick Picks....it is their choice how they spend their money.

Doesn’t make it right or wrong... but let me ask this...

Is it possible to use the same factors, race after race, and make a profit? How many times has one looked at the program after a race and think “HOW DID THIS HORSE WIN... NOT IN A MILLION YEARS!”

Just trying to look at things from a different perspective instead of the run of the mill, class, speed and form.

Not saying it’s right, wrong, or indifferent... just creating a conversation lol
I find that for whatever reasons, any handicapping method just seems to be clicking at times and not on other occasions. IDK if it's the track bias that night, wind conditions, or just that certain elements that you don't factor into your handicapping are just on fire that night. When that's the case, you have two choices, find a new track that night or adjust your handicapping on the fly.

Last edited by coachv30; 06-08-2019 at 05:28 PM.
coachv30 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #8
Ray2000
Apple 2GS Wiz

I'd say with your "speed-pattern" approach, stay away from claimers, races with first time starters, and hi class or low class trot races.

Don't shy away from outside posts if your pattern analysis calls for it especially on contenders in the 2/1 - 4/1 expected odds range.

Good Luck with it, we'll be watching..

Hey Coach, how about a Same Tr/Dr with a speed pattern that fits....
Bret Harte
Ray2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #9
coachv30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2000 View Post
I'd say with your "speed-pattern" approach, stay away from claimers, races with first time starters, and hi class or low class trot races.

Don't shy away from outside posts if your pattern analysis calls for it especially on contenders in the 2/1 - 4/1 expected odds range.

Good Luck with it, we'll be watching..

Hey Coach, how about a Same Tr/Dr with a speed pattern that fits....
Sounds like a winner...has to be a BOMB though

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: