Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 05-06-2019, 06:40 PM   #1
UnifiedTheory

Permanent Scratches? - Bris Data Files

Does anybody know if there's a way to permanently remove scratches from Bris data files?

I'm hoping that such a thing exists as sometimes I grow weary of removing the same scatches over and over again when loading Bris data files.

At the moment, I'm mainly using the Handifast software to paper test several methods. If I could remove the scratches from the Bris data file permanently then at least I could eliminate that part of the monotonous repetition.

Any input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 07:54 PM   #2
Speed Figure
DJ M.Walk

You should try this! it works great!
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...6&postcount=28
Speed Figure is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-06-2019, 08:17 PM   #3
fast4522

headhawg does it again, great tool.
fast4522 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-07-2019, 12:08 AM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

Thanks guys. I wasn't sure anyone was using it.

Unified_Theory -- make sure to get HDST v1.1. You can find it in post #36 in this thread: HDST
Old 05-07-2019, 08:00 AM   #5
UnifiedTheory

Exactly What I Wanted - Headhawg ROCKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
Thanks guys. I wasn't sure anyone was using it.

Unified_Theory -- make sure to get HDST v1.1. You can find it in post #36 in this thread: HDST

I just downloaded HDST 1.1. Thank you very much Headhawg!!

Your scratch program is exactly what I was hoping for! It will save me a lot of time and remove monotonous efforts. Awesome!

Best of luck in all your endeavours!
Old 05-08-2019, 07:57 AM   #6
UnifiedTheory

Question HDST - Scratch Issue

I'm extremely grateful that Headhawg created HDST and makes it accessible to PA forum users for free.

Unfortunately, HDST isn't working for me consistently just yet.

1. The Equibase scratch file downloads instantly and the software says it downloaded properly. But then when I load a data file it says the dates don't match the scratch file so it cannot be used. (screenshot)

2. I put the scratches in manually for ten Golden Gate race cards and most scratched horses stayed scratched but two horses from the ten race cards did not stay scratched. For example, GG 4-20 10th -- three horses scratched but one of those three, Smokinhotredhead will not stay scratched. I tried many times used the same successful steps I did with the other successful scratches but Smokinhotredhead will not stay scratched.

I tried using two other programs to check whether the scratches stayed scratched just in case the problem had something to do with the way Handifast reads the data files but the other programs still have the same problem.

If Headhawg or anyone else can help me with this issue I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Attached Images
File Type: png Date Problem.png (111.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-08-2019, 08:44 AM   #7
headhawg
crusty old guy

No one has reported that problem you are having with the mismatched files, so if there is a bug I am not aware of it. Here's what I think might be happening. HDST parses the scratches.xml file which is what the downloaded Equibase file gets named. If the date in that file does not match the datafile date it will produce the error message that you received. HDST will only download the current Equibase scratch list, not any archived information from previous dates. So, for example, if you downloaded yesterday's scratch file after all races were completed you could run any datafile for 5/7/19 and HDST would (should?) work fine. However, you couldn't load a datafile from, let's say, 5/6/19 without getting the error message as the scratches.xml file would be for 5/7, not 5/6.

For your second problem, did those horses that won't scratch happen to be the first horse in the datafile for their corresponding races, usually the #1?
Old 05-08-2019, 06:23 PM   #8
UnifiedTheory

HDST - Post #1 Scratches?

Quote:
No one has reported that problem you are having with the mismatched files, so if there is a bug I am not aware of it. Here's what I think might be happening. HDST parses the scratches.xml file which is what the downloaded Equibase file gets named. If the date in that file does not match the datafile date it will produce the error message that you received. HDST will only download the current Equibase scratch list, not any archived information from previous dates. So, for example, if you downloaded yesterday's scratch file after all races were completed you could run any datafile for 5/7/19 and HDST would (should?) work fine. However, you couldn't load a datafile from, let's say, 5/6/19 without getting the error message as the scratches.xml file would be for 5/7, not 5/6.

For your second problem, did those horses that won't scratch happen to be the first horse in the datafile for their corresponding races, usually the #1?

Thanks Headhawg for your prompt reply. I would have responded sooner but I just got home from work.

About the Equibase scratch file, that supposed issue is on me. I didn't realize that the scratch file is only for the current day as I was under the impression it also contained archived scratches for 2019.

About the two scratches in ten GG cards that didn't stay scratched, to answer your question...yes both horses were in post one.

Hmmmmm.
Old 05-08-2019, 10:43 PM   #9
headhawg
crusty old guy

Sorry about any confusion. You can archive the current scratches as you exit the program but the original information from Equibase is for the current date only. As far as the other issue, post #26 in the HDST thread explains what is going on. I had to enable a "safe" mode or many programs that use race info from the first horse in each race would render the modified file useless. Bottom line? The first horse in each race in the data file cannot be scratched; the program prevents it.

I did create HDST v1.2 but it was never released because I did not thoroughly test it. v1.2 provides an option to NOT enable this safe mode. That means for programs like Handifast the scratching of the first horse is allowed. Handifast does not use the fields that have race data exclusive to the first horse.

Last edited by headhawg; 05-08-2019 at 10:52 PM. Reason: added info
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #10
UnifiedTheory

HDST v1.2

Quote:
Sorry about any confusion. You can archive the current scratches as you exit the program but the original information from Equibase is for the current date only. As far as the other issue, post #26 in the HDST thread explains what is going on. I had to enable a "safe" mode or many programs that use race info from the first horse in each race would render the modified file useless. Bottom line? The first horse in each race in the data file cannot be scratched; the program prevents it.

I did create HDST v1.2 but it was never released because I did not thoroughly test it. v1.2 provides an option to NOT enable this safe mode. That means for programs like Handifast the scratching of the first horse is allowed. Handifast does not use the fields that have race data exclusive to the first horse.

Thanks again Headhawg for the illuminating info.

Handifast is my favourite handicapping software, and once I evolve my HF analysts to a proper degree it will most likely be the only handicapping software I use.

If you'd be willing to send me HDST v1.2 in a pm, I would vow to never share or sell it to anyone and if I have any issues with it because of it's untested nature I would only make mention of it in a polite and positive manner.

However if you'd rather not release v1.2 to anyone because it's not thoroughly tested, then I understand.
Old 05-09-2019, 08:42 AM   #11
headhawg
crusty old guy

I just went ahead and uploaded v1.2 to the HDST thread. It's in post #45.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:37 PM   #12
UnifiedTheory

Thank you very much!!

Quote:
I just went ahead and uploaded v1.2 to the HDST thread. It's in post #45.

I'm very happy to have HDST v1.2 now. This saves me a lot of time/hassle and makes paper testing 100+ racing cards much more enjoyable.

You are truly a generous man and a great bonus for the handicapping community.

Happy handicapping!
Old 05-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #13
hyipro

Can it scratch the bris multi file types also ?

Seems to work great on single, other bris file types ?
hyipro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #14
headhawg
crusty old guy

Sorry hyipro. HDST only works with the single file format.

Tags
bris, data-files, handifast, remove-scrathes, scratches

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: