Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #1
Parkview_Pirate

Air Force and future weapons

Wow. Now it's "Call to Action" instead of "A Great Place to Start" (which it was) back in the 1980s.

Good to know those 2030 tax dollars are already spoken for.....the interesting weapon simulations begin about 3:10 in the video.

Last edited by Parkview_Pirate; 03-29-2018 at 10:46 AM.
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkview_Pirate View Post
Wow. Now it's "Call to Action" instead of "A Great Place to Start" (which it was) back in the 1980s.

Good to know those 2030 tax dollars are already spoken for.....the interesting weapon simulations begin about 3:10 in the video.

https://youtu.be/HPZpp_Y6Er8
The F35 can already do that.

Its electronics suite is built for full battlefield integration so it can quarterback its own operations.

Neat vid.
elysiantraveller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #3
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Everything after 3:10 in the video is almost assuredly already up and working. The Air Force never lets a hint of anything out unless they are already using it at least in Nevada or at Edwards.

The first time I saw the X-29 and the F-117 was about 1985 and the F-117 was a rumor but nobody thought it was flying.......it had been for awhile

Last edited by JustRalph; 03-29-2018 at 12:47 PM.
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-30-2018, 06:11 AM   #4
Parkview_Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
The F35 can already do that.

Its electronics suite is built for full battlefield integration so it can quarterback its own operations.

Neat vid.
I haven't been following the project too closely, but I understand the F-35 has some problems.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...f-35-problems/

I find the military rather amazing at times - some programs are so expensive and complex, and some just keep trucking along - like the B-52, all of which are older than me except the H models.

When I was in the USAF in 1982, the F-20 Tigershark seemed like a better idea over the F-16, as the Eastern Bloc and Communist threats were always able to bring the numbers into battle and overwhelm the superior Western technology. In some ways, that scenario is still in play, with the current and potential enemies of the U.S. putting far more cost effective solutions on the field, as well as less complex and more reliable ones. The F-35, the Littoral Combat Ship, aircraft carrier vulnerability the the latest Russian cruise missiles, etc., all indicate that a real shooting war may be a real problem for the U.S.

And if the economy goes downhill, we know that politicians like a good war for diverting attention...
Parkview_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: