Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #286
lamboguy

thanks for the stats. the thing about them is that if you see them the politions see them as well, and they develop bad idea's.

from the peoplethat i have been speaking with this years in various farms in kentucky and florida are telling me that they are breeding less horses this year. and the only horses they are breeding are from their top mares. the twofold reason this is good is that there will be shortages of horses 2 and 3 years from now, and less demand for them because i suspect you will have plenty of track closings coming down the pike. maybe this wakes up management and they step up to the plate and help insure a better and longer lasting sport.
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 06:32 PM   #287
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Tracks were successful when they were the only game in town AND there were only 40 races a week to bet on AND you had to be at the track to bet AND there weren't that many options to bet on so many more people went home with money in their pockets AND there was mooch money in the pool making it possible to beat the average takeout of 16% (today it is 21% with little mooch money).

Other gambling games are more attractive because the take is lower (more bang for the buck) and things like slots don't require you to think.
I think the demise is a result of two things: 1) the proliferation of competition; 2) the Dumbing Down of America. The lower takeout might address issue one, but I'm not sure how to address the second issue and I think it's the bigger deal!
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 06:41 PM   #288
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
I think the demise is a result of two things: 1) the proliferation of competition; 2) the Dumbing Down of America. The lower takeout might address issue one, but I'm not sure how to address the second issue and I think it's the bigger deal!
Smart bettors seek out lower takeout through rebates. I would argue about the dumbing down of America as an excuse. The remaining core bettors are more sophisticated than ever before. You could have been a lot dumber back then and broke even or come close to break even....now it is impossible.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 06:55 PM   #289
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10
Bob Scott, Chief Executive of Coral Eurobet, plc, said:

"The expected significant growth in turnover will be matched by a sizeable increase in job opportunities across the industry. This is without doubt the most important day in the history of betting. The Government has made a huge investment in the betting industry, one we will demonstrate has not been misplaced. This is a win, win situation for customers, bookmakers, the racing industry and Government."

David Harding, Chief Executive of William Hill, commented:

"The abolition of betting duty and the introduction of zero deduction betting will herald a new era for punters and the UK betting industry. William Hill is committed to establishing the UK as the centre of excellence in the global betting market. If projected business levels are achieved, William Hill anticipates creating up to 1,000 new jobs across its betting platforms. We are confident that the Government's willingness to support our industry will be richly rewarded."

Chris Bell, Chief Executive of Ladbrokes Worldwide said:

"The betting duty reforms will be great for customers, great for bookmakers and ultimately great for the Government. We have been preparing for this since April. We have increased our workforce by 10% and we are ready to do our bit in retail betting, telephone betting and internet betting to ensure that that the UK becomes the world centre of betting excellence."
Thanks for those quotes GM. Very good stuff.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 07:11 PM   #290
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseplayersbet.com
Smart bettors seek out lower takeout through rebates. I would argue about the dumbing down of America as an excuse. The remaining core bettors are more sophisticated than ever before. You could have been a lot dumber back then and broke even or come close to break even....now it is impossible.
Most Americans want fast, constant betting action that requires little, if any, thought. Therefore, I stand by my Dumbing Down of America statement.

I've enjoyed reading all of your comments. Thanks.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 07:37 PM   #291
bucktron

I first made this post over eight years ago and it still may be relevant.

Racing needs fresh blood. The only way to revitalize racing is to get the McDonald’s Generation hooked on the Sport of Kings. How? If you like blood you have to work in the blood bank . The “I don’t want to know anything, I just want to get paid “ Generation is looking for something for nothing. Many of them are disrespectful of the technological accomplishments of the Baby Boomer Generation and that is the Key to the Blood Bank. Any opportunities to prove their technological prowess, their technical superiority over their elders makes their jugulars expand. Even an old Vampire with dentures could possibly have a field day. The following might work.

1. AN ANNUAL NATIONAL COLLEGIATE HANDICAPPING CONTEST.
2. ANY COLLEGE STUDENT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER (According to Age Laws of Each State).
3. EACH REGIONAL TRACK CURCUIT WOULD HOLD THE CONTEST OVER NO LESS THAN 25 CARDS WITH A PLAYER HAVING TO MAKE A SPECIFIED MINIMIUM NUMBER OF PLAYS TO QUALIFY.
4. THE TOP 5 HANDICAPPERS FROM EACH CIRCUIT GO ON TO THE NATIONALS.
5. THE TOP 10 COLLEGIATE HANDICAPPERS OR HANDICAPPING TEAMS (Perhaps the Math and Computer Departments of many of our prestigious universities might be convinced, with the proper Marketing, that this is their NCAA National Championship Tournament) WILL COMPETE AGAINST THE OLD GUARD THAT QUALIFIED IN A SIMILAR WAY.

Perks:
1. FREE SOFT DRINKS FOR THE STUDENTS (Soft Drink Companies send Marketing Checks to Fast Food Franchise’s ranging form 15% to 25% of the total Cost of Sales for Syrup. They would probably provide the Soft Drinks Free)
2. $.25 HOTDOGS FOR THE STUDENTS.
3. Free Grandstand Admission for STUDENTS showing their College ID.
4. A Free “Introduction to Handicapping Class” every Saturday Morning.

Prizes:
1. CASH (Based on commitments of Tracks and Potential Sponsors)
2. COLLEGE SCHALORSHIPS (Based on commitments of Tracks and Potential Sponsors)
3. RESEARCH GRANTS (A chance for many universities to display how bright their math and computer science students are. An opportunity to show that their students have the same type of creativity that the MIT’s and CAL Tech’s students have).
4. POTENTIAL JOB OFFERS AT HIGHER STARTING SALARIES to winning student SOFTWARE DEVELOPERS. This would be a NATIONAL VEHICLE to prove to MAJOR CORPORATIONS that you can create and not regurgitate when it comes to state of the art software development.

The OUTCOME would invariably be thousands of young, well educated, well paid, arrogant new HANDICAPPERS injecting new blood into the wonderful game we love. The EVER CHANGING PUZZLE will trick them into believing that the new technological methodologies that they will bring to the dance will make them RICH. Little do they know, there is “No Royal Road” then maybe there is.

Bucktron

Last edited by bucktron; 12-29-2009 at 07:44 PM.
bucktron is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #292
Horseplayersbet.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike

I've enjoyed reading all of your comments. Thanks.
Thanks for being able to handle my broken record message.

Horseplayersbet.com is offline   Reply With Quote Reply