Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-06-2021, 05:37 AM   #1
Half Smoke

tricks of the grocery stores

It's not like you're going to save a fortune by not getting beat by grocery stores - maybe a few hundred a year - but its nice to know their tricks didn't fool you

trick 1:

of all of their tricks - this one is the trickiest

most of the time you get a better deal on the larger size. but not all of the time. sometimes the smaller size is the better deal and if you don't pay attention to the small print on the price label - the per ounce stat - you can end up paying more by buying the larger size. Utz potato chips used to sell a tiny bag that was a much better deal than the large bags. lots of other examples. they know lots will automatically go for the larger size and they'll make more profit

trick 2:

not totally fair to blame the stores for this one, more the factories - but the stores are surely complicit:
the price stays the same but the amount of food in the package is less than last week or last month
many times, if the food is sold in a carton the carton is the same size - its just the food inside the carton that is less
ice cream is a good example of this - ice cream used to be sold mainly in half gallons - then maybe 30 years ago the cartons started shrinking - now its nowhere close to a half gallon
Breyers is the worst with this: their cartons are tiny - maybe only 1.5 quarts - as their cartons shrink their price stays the same

trick 3:

bait and switch. of course just about all retailers do this so its not really fair to just point at grocery stores. but they do it often with their meat, advertising a sale price and then when you go to look at the meat it can be seen that its low quality stuff - particularly beef

trick 4:

showing a very low price or a sale price on store brands
store brands are usually significantly inferior to name brands
there are a few exceptions where the store brands are pretty good

trick 5:

my store does this. a sale item is shown at 3 for $6.00 and that usually means you can buy 1 for $2.00
but sometimes you can't. in very small print it says you must buy 3 to get the sale price
but you didn't see that and you're already at the register with just one - and you don't want to buy 3 - then you say what the hell I'll take it - so you didn't get the sale price

to be fair to the stores, particularly the larger chains, because of intense competition you can sometimes get good deals on good products

I hate to knock the little stores but the reality is they are much more conscious of having to secure a nice profit on everything they sell

one more that relates to quality, not price

all grocery stores instruct their stockers to rotate the stock
this means that when a new shipment comes in before putting it on the shelf they pull out the older stock out first and put it on the floor
then they put the new stock in the back and the older stock in the front
this way they don't get stuck with out of date stuff on the shelves that they have to throw away

so, if you're going to buy a box of cereal - if you take the time to move the boxes and pick one from the back - a lot of the time you will get a much fresher product

Old 10-06-2021, 07:10 AM   #2
Dave Schwartz

Good of you to point this out, but I think this is just "the way it is" and has been for years.

Below is what has me concerned.

PREDATORY PRACTICES...
bother me way more.
I've always been fortunate to not live in a "bad" area. About 30 years ago, when I was fortunate enough to (figuratively) move "up the hill" a little, the nearest grocery stores were a bit on the expensive side.

The newest & nicest of those had amazing quality deli & made-for-you products. In fact, that had Chinese take out that was probably in the top 10 of all Asian food in town.
The Real Story
One day, I was across town visiting someone who lived in the (literally) poorest part of Reno.
I stopped into a grocery store owned by that same company simply because I was driving by and I knew the brand.

Imagine my shock when I discovered the highest prices I'd ever seen in a grocery store!

I walked through the produce section to find shockingly high prices, yet the quality was really quite dismal.

So shocked by this, I walked through the entire store.

In the meat department, there were no good cuts of meat. No rib steaks or filet mignon too be found. None.

Instead, I found what was visibly cheap quality meats, but AT PRICES APPROACHING THE PRICE I'd pay for a good rib steak on the other side of town!

From canned goods to paper products, it was all the same: items priced as much as TRIPLE what they would have been on my side of town.

I walked out of that store appalled at what I had seen.
And I knew exactly what that was: This was a neighborhood where there wasn't much to choose from and the company was exploiting the people!
I imagines that many people in this neighborhood road a bus to get to work.

A large number of people walk to & from that grocery store.

Thus, most people had no easy, practical choice.
This store was pretty much the only game in town.
Now, I've never thought of corporate America as having much of a heart.

But the 30 minutes I spent wandering around that store destroyed any belief I had that corporate greed wasn't the norm.

Last edited by Dave Schwartz; 10-06-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 08:55 AM   #3
Inner Dirt

As far as trick 2, who ever made Crystal Light drink mix tried pulling one that backfired, must have been a half dozen years or so ago. It comes in a variety of sizes, one of them is a 6 pouch container, where each pouch makes two quarts. It sold for around $2.99, while it's store brand competitor was usually 2 for $5 that made the same amount.

All of a sudden Crystal Light keeps the packaging the same size, puts a big "STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" on the container, keeps the price at $2.99 and of course, now inside are 4 pouches, not 6. The previous product offering made 12 quarts , but just said 6 pitcher sized pouches on the outside.

That marketing ploy to increase profits didn't last long, people switched to store brand and realized it was decent, Crystal Light shelf space shrunk and
"STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" disappeared, probably within 6 months they were back to a the 6 pouch container that made 12 quarts for $2.99. Still to the day with hoarding the Crystal Light doesn't start selling till store brand is out on that same flavor.

Of course I noticed all this because I switched to store brand, they didn't even get me once, the "STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" caught my eye first time.

I seriously wonder what kind of MBA management type thought they could pull that over on people?
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #4
Half Smoke

as to Dave's point - just to add one other fact

some of the small ethnic based grocery stores are very dirty inside
I don't at all trust their fresh meat offerings
they are regulated by the State - but it looks like there is little or no enforcement

I don't want to say which stores I'm referring to - don't want to point fingers at an ethnic group - but I will say this - the Latino stores that I've been to are very clean and the personnel are pleasant and helpful

I often go to these little groceries and it's fascinating to me to see all the different products they carry

I tutored an Indonesian guy in English and as a present he gave me a box of white coffee - an Indonesian specialty

from Wikipedia about white coffee:

"In Indonesia, the term white coffee or kopi putih refers to coffee beans which are roasted less than regular coffee beans. The shorter and lower heat roasting yields lighter-colored coffee beans, called biji kopi putih or white coffee beans. The white coffee beans are harder and different in taste than regular coffee beans. White coffee has a savory and mild taste compared to its regular counterpart. Due to its shorter roasting time, white coffee has a higher concentration of caffeine."

I'm a coffee lover and a heavy consumer of it - I now drink instant white coffee - 3 in 1 - contains a little bit of cream and a little bit of sugar

the Indonesian stuff he gave me was good - but I found that the Korean brand - Maxim White Gold is better - that's what I now drink

for decades I looked down my nose at instant coffee - avoided it like the plague - no more - there's also an excellent granulated instant coffee from Columbia - the brand is Colcafe which I also drink - alternating

no more brewing for me - no more cleaning a nasty coffee pot, filter holder, and machine

Last edited by Half Smoke; 10-06-2021 at 09:11 AM.
Half Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #5
FakeNameChanged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inner Dirt View Post
As far as trick 2, who ever made Crystal Light drink mix tried pulling one that backfired, must have been a half dozen years or so ago. It comes in a variety of sizes, one of them is a 6 pouch container, where each pouch makes two quarts. It sold for around $2.99, while it's store brand competitor was usually 2 for $5 that made the same amount.

All of a sudden Crystal Light keeps the packaging the same size, puts a big "STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" on the container, keeps the price at $2.99 and of course, now inside are 4 pouches, not 6. The previous product offering made 12 quarts , but just said 6 pitcher sized pouches on the outside.

That marketing ploy to increase profits didn't last long, people switched to store brand and realized it was decent, Crystal Light shelf space shrunk and
"STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" disappeared, probably within 6 months they were back to a the 6 pouch container that made 12 quarts for $2.99. Still to the day with hoarding the Crystal Light doesn't start selling till store brand is out on that same flavor.

Of course I noticed all this because I switched to store brand, they didn't even get me once, the "STILL MAKES 8 QUARTS" caught my eye first time.

I seriously wonder what kind of MBA management type thought they could pull that over on people?
That "trick" as you called it has been going on for decades. Since I grew up living near Hershey, Pa., I recall back in the '70s or '80s at the latest, they reduced the size of their chocolate bars but kept the price the same. That was mentioned on the news as kind of a big deal when it happened. As a kid, I knew exactly how many ounces of chocolate were in my bars.
I just noticed that last year or two, that some of the craft beers I prefer have reduced the 12 oz. bottles to 11.2 oz. WTH! Same thing with bottled water.

Last edited by FakeNameChanged; 10-06-2021 at 09:11 AM.
FakeNameChanged is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2021, 09:17 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeNameChanged View Post
That "trick" as you called it has been going on for decades. Since I grew up living near Hershey, Pa., I recall back in the '70s or '80s at the latest, they reduced the size of their chocolate bars but kept the price the same. That was mentioned on the news as kind of a big deal when it happened. As a kid, I knew exactly how many ounces of chocolate were in my bars.
I just noticed that last year or two, that some of the craft beers I prefer have reduced the 12 oz. bottles to 11.2 oz. WTH! Same thing with bottled water.

My favorite is the shrinking tuna can. I have a small machine shop and make a lot of small parts. I often use tuna cans to put them in during processes. Been using tuna cans for decades. The small can used to be 7oz, they have dropped by the 1/2 oz, all the way to 5oz over 20 years or so. When is 4 1/2 oz coming?
Old 10-06-2021, 01:11 PM   #7
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I caught this one at my store.
Bag of 6 Kaiser rolls, baked on premises, 1 bottom layer in every bag was noticeably stale - rock hard stale.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:25 PM   #8
thaskalos

I've been in the grocery business for more than 40 years, and I know one thing for a fact. If the customers weren't so destructive...the prices would be much lower than they currently are. I wish you guys could spend a day with me so you could see some of the things that I see on a daily basis.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:35 PM   #9
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I've been in the grocery business for more than 40 years, and I know one thing for a fact. If the customers weren't so destructive...the prices would be much lower than they currently are. I wish you guys could spend a day with me so you could see some of the things that I see on a daily basis.
Absolutely, thaskalos. Grocery Stores are, unfortunately, a good place to see Societal Decay at work...

My personal favorite...at my local Wal-Mart, during the weekly shopping trip...I see multiple families (yes, their kids are with them...and are watching/participating) getting $$$ worth of Deli food...and eating it while they "shop". They then discard the container...without ever paying for it.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:08 PM   #10
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Absolutely, thaskalos. Grocery Stores are, unfortunately, a good place to see Societal Decay at work...

My personal favorite...at my local Wal-Mart, during the weekly shopping trip...I see multiple families (yes, their kids are with them...and are watching/participating) getting $$$ worth of Deli food...and eating it while they "shop". They then discard the container...without ever paying for it.
Don't you know that this "grazing" trick (what the trade calls it) is a perk for shopping Wally World?

Produce departments in various supermarkets also take a big hit with these grazers, as they chomp on fruit as they're shopping. A banana here, an apple there, a pear somewhere else...and it all adds up over time. The eat-as-you-shop "trick" is very old
Old 10-06-2021, 02:13 PM   #11
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Don't you know that this "grazing" trick (what the trade calls it) is a perk for shopping Wally World?

Produce departments in various supermarkets also take a big hit with these grazers, as they chomp on fruit as they're shopping. A banana here, an apple there, a pear somewhere else...and it all adds up over time. The eat-as-you-shop "trick" is very old
Our Kroger location here keeps a fruit basket by the front door for people to eat as they shop.

That trick is very old to the Lowlifes who partake in it.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #12
AndyC

Quote:

A sensible response as to why higher prices aren't always due to "predatory practices".
Old 10-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #13
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkchester Road View Post
Our Kroger location here keeps a fruit basket by the front door for people to eat as they shop.

That trick is very old to the Lowlifes who partake in it.
I wonder if anyone ever picked up the entire basket to devour its contents before checking out?
Old 10-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #14
Inner Dirt

Quote:

I don't think you could tell us anything we would not believe. Most people only care about themselves. I think one of the greatest example of messes is the fastener aisle at any hardware store. The loose ones are the worst, people will toss them anywhere, the packaged ones quickly get tossed back in the wrong bins. You cannot trust in the least that what is supposed to be in the bin will be. When I need fasteners for maintenance work or projects I usually just order them online from McMaster Carr as they get here next day. If I am desperate and end up at a Lowe's or the like,I will bring measuring instruments with me into the store to make sure I get the right thing. I was in a Lowe's once and the guy working the fastener aisle said on a busy day that aisle can become a mess 2 hours after everything was put back in the right place.
Old 10-06-2021, 02:54 PM   #15
thaskalos

Just one minor case...

Customers take the motorized shopping carts from our stores, and drive them all the way to their homes, sometimes miles away...where they keep them for a week, and then drive them back to the store so they can do their shopping again...and drive them back to their homes again. And when I confront the customers about this...they call me "insensitive" to their disability status. I've had to hire employees to try and put a stop to this, but I am succeeding only moderately. It takes 4 employees and a cargo van to return a motorized shopping cart back to its rightful place...assuming, of course, that you can find it.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: