Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-26-2021, 01:04 PM   #61
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
I hope to be cleared by my doctors to return to work in the next week or so but Mountaineer would then need to sign off on it. This journey has been mentally and physically debilitating and there were days I thought I was going to die. On a positive note, I did lose 35 pounds in the first three weeks.
Continued prayers for your recovery and return. Thank you for taking the time to let this group know. You are missed! My dear bride never minds my having Mountaineer on in the background with the soothing tones of Mark's analysis and your wonderfully inflected calls.
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #62
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarchCapper View Post
Continued prayers for your recovery and return. Thank you for taking the time to let this group know. You are missed! My dear bride never minds my having Mountaineer on in the background with the soothing tones of Mark's analysis and your wonderfully inflected calls.
Is your dear bride single?
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2021, 01:48 PM   #63
BarchCapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Is your dear bride single?
Not for the last 34 years! And, sadly, she only has brothers, no sisters.

Last summer I sat down and made the list of tracks I've been to - it's 45 at last count. Then I went back through the list and put her initial next to ones she'd been to. She's accompanied me to 28 of them (including Mountaineer)!!!!! That's better than some regular horseplayers I know.

Her closest contact with horse racing before meeting me was learning to drive in the parking lot of Finger Lakes racetrack!

I know I'm blessed!
BarchCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #64
Peter Berry
Track Announcer

It's been two months since I called my last race at Mountaineer. At this time I don't know when, of if, I'll be allowed to return but I'm in good health, fully recovered, and ready to go.
Peter Berry is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2021, 10:44 AM   #65
mountainman

Have endeavored to respect your privacy. I am the uncontested world champion at minding my own business. Do want to state that I very much desire your return. Callers of your caliber do not grow on trees.

Work it out and get back in the booth. There is always a way.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:39 AM   #66
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Are you guys saying what I think you're saying.

That they don't want him back?

Unreal.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #67
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Berry View Post
It's been two months since I called my last race at Mountaineer. At this time I don't know when, of if, I'll be allowed to return but I'm in good health, fully recovered, and ready to go.
Thank you for the update, Peter. Best wishes to you.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:46 AM   #68
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post

Unreal.
It sure is, PA.
Old 09-15-2021, 11:47 AM   #69
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:

Unreal.
Probably a money thing, similar to why NYRA did what they did I would guess. Announcers should be more important in the simulcast era but tracks don't seem to be thinking that way.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2021, 11:49 AM   #70
Elkchester Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Probably a money thing, similar to why NYRA did what they did I would guess. Announcers should be more important in the simulcast era but tracks don't seem to be thinking that way.
Exactly, cj. Unfortunately, Tracks/Racinos all seem to think alike about this...and it hard to see anybody going against the grain of this anytime soon.
Old 09-15-2021, 12:07 PM   #71
mountainman

Quote:

Unreal.
On my part, not saying that at all. Just expressing a desire to have Pete back. Nor am In the loop concerning whatever the issues are. And even if I were, it would not be appropriate for me to elucidate.

Mike, minding my own business and adhering to my subservient place in the hierarchy has been helpful to my career.

But, again, I still consider Pete and I a team. We are stronger together. And I hope he comes back. In fact, I prefer to consider it imminent.

Pete is a super-intelligent guy and extremely well-spoken. He will divulge what he wants to, as is his right.
Old 09-15-2021, 02:22 PM   #72
PA.race.fan

Those that run MTR (Century) are piss poor. They do a horrible job of marketing the racing scene there. I’d love to volunteer my services and ideas to them. As a race fan, with a degree in Marketing from a fine University, I guarantee I could increase the excitement there immediately!!!
PA.race.fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #73
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
Those that run MTR (Century) are piss poor. They do a horrible job of marketing the racing scene there. I’d love to volunteer my services and ideas to them. As a race fan, with a degree in Marketing from a fine University, I guarantee I could increase the excitement there immediately!!!
They do know more about racing than any regime I've worked for. And have established their commitment through some very hard times. Those things are big to me. I need the job.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-15-2021 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2021, 04:07 PM   #74
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA.race.fan View Post
What is MTR?

Are you referring to MNR?
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-15-2021, 06:09 PM   #75
jameegray1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post

But, again, I still consider Pete and I a team. We are stronger together. And I hope he comes back. In fact, I prefer to consider it imminent.
I said exactly the same thing earlier today.

You two together are what makes Mountaineer special and I know long-time Mountaineer fans are beginning to drift away since the interruption of your partnership.

Hope any issues can be resolved and Pete gets back quickly for the good of the track and the fans.
jameegray1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply