Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 06-14-2021, 06:36 PM   #46
newtothegame

Hell, birds at the stadium were even afraid when the BIG UNIT took the mound!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 12:01 AM   #47
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

deGrom has pitched 64 innings and given up 4 earned runs, down to a 0.56 ERA. In just 25 bats, his 5 RBIs tops that number..
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 08:53 AM   #48
Valuist

MLB has a huge problem. Lots of fingers to be pointed; analytics, which has deified pitch velocity, which has led to more strikeouts, walks, foul balls and home runs. Home runs and no hitters have become devalued. An entire generation of young players grew up not learning to hit properly. Too many softball type hitters, swinging from their heels every pitch; half the field open but they are incapable of going to the opposite field. No shame in striking out; "it's no different from any other out", which is nonsense because it IS different. Unless its a dropped third strike, nobody ever advanced on a strikeout, unless they chose to steal. Strikeouts also pile up pitch counts.

It's becoming glorified wall ball. Have a hitter, a pitcher, and no fielders needed. An algorithm can determine batted ball outcomes.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #49
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist View Post
MLB has a huge problem. Lots of fingers to be pointed; analytics, which has deified pitch velocity, which has led to more strikeouts, walks, foul balls and home runs. Home runs and no hitters have become devalued. An entire generation of young players grew up not learning to hit properly. Too many softball type hitters, swinging from their heels every pitch; half the field open but they are incapable of going to the opposite field. No shame in striking out; "it's no different from any other out", which is nonsense because it IS different. Unless its a dropped third strike, nobody ever advanced on a strikeout, unless they chose to steal. Strikeouts also pile up pitch counts.

It's becoming glorified wall ball. Have a hitter, a pitcher, and no fielders needed. An algorithm can determine batted ball outcomes.

It's strange how today's technology, PEDs, and evolution, has seemingly made the MLB and NBA worse, rather than better.

What are the solutions?
Have we outgrown the dimensions of play?
Should we deaden or change the ball?

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 06-15-2021 at 10:13 AM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #50
Robert Fischer
clean money

I'm not suggesting this, but thinking out loud. What if the baseball was a little bigger?

Would that improve hitting and slow the pitching? or would it be ridiculous?

What if the basketball was a little bigger? Would that mitigate the 3-point chucking that we see? or would it be ridiculous?

it's probably not that simple

another problem - If the league did figure out solutions to the gameplay, would the target demographic fan really prefer it? It's one thing for us guys on PA - We enjoy actual sporting events and sports. We appreciate the tactics and strategy and gameplay.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:36 AM   #51
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
I'm not suggesting this, but thinking out loud. What if the baseball was a little bigger?

Would that improve hitting and slow the pitching? or would it be ridiculous?

What if the basketball was a little bigger? Would that mitigate the 3-point chucking that we see? or would it be ridiculous?

it's probably not that simple

another problem - If the league did figure out solutions to the gameplay, would the target demographic fan really prefer it? It's one thing for us guys on PA - We enjoy actual sporting events and sports. We appreciate the tactics and strategy and gameplay.
I don't think we can change the ball. I have an idea, and I'm sure most will think its ridiculous, but so many of baseball's issues come back to the same root problem: velocity. All the factors I mentioned earlier: more strikeouts, more walks, more foul balls, more home runs, not to mention higher pitch counts, higher arm stress and more injuries. Less balls in play does nothing to stimulate fan interest.

The solution? A 95 MPH speed limit. No, we can't do that! That will penalize guys like DeGrom. But will it? i would argue that a guy like DeGrom could easily adjust to the point where he could get right at 95 for fastballs quite easily. And do it stress free. I grew up watching the game in the 70s. It WAS the greatest game. What it has morphed into is a shell of what it was. Not enough action.

How would it be enforced? Any pitch over 95 would be a ball, unless the ball was in play, and the hitting team chose the outcome. Yes, there would initially be delays, but I suspect that would decrease quickly.

Last edited by Valuist; 06-15-2021 at 10:38 AM.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:38 AM   #52
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
I don't think we can change the ball. I have an idea, and I'm sure most will think its ridiculous, but so many of baseball's issues come back to the same root problem: velocity. All the factors I mentioned earlier: more strikeouts, more walks, more foul balls, more home runs, not to mention higher pitch counts, higher arm stress and more injuries. Less balls in play does nothing to stimulate fan interest.

The solution? A 95 MPH speed limit. No, we can't do that! That will penalize guys like DeGrom. But will it? i would argue that a guy like DeGrom could easily adjust to the point where he could get right at 95 for fastballs quite easily. And do it stress free. I grew up watching the game in the 70s. It WAS the greatest game. What it has morphed into is a shell of what it was. Not enough action.
that's actually interesting
Old 06-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #53
Valuist

Initially it would cause delays, but in the big picture, no doubt it would speed up the games. Less dead time.....more balls in play. Less obsession with hitting power. Defense and base running become viable factors.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #54
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Initially it would cause delays, but in the big picture, no doubt it would speed up the games. Less dead time.....more balls in play. Less obsession with hitting power. Defense and base running become viable factors.
I love it. I think players/agents/fans would freak!

When I was a kid, I had this training basketball that was 1.5 times the size of regulation and the same weight. I'd shoot freethrows with it, do drills, and play 1-on-1 with it. Supposedly help with accuracy (for when you switch back to the NBA ball). It definitely forced some focus on accuracy, but was also a little different, so it wasn't a perfect transition back and forth. It also helped with palming the ball, as I could never quite palm the giant ball.

If the NBA made a new ball 1.1 or 1.05 times the current regulation, I wonder how it would affect gameplay.
I know it's taboo to mess with the ball, but maybe that could solve the problems without messing with the 3pt line? Or maybe it would cause an array of new issues...
Old 06-15-2021, 02:38 PM   #55
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

Wouldn't it be better to make the basket SMALLER, instead of making the ball bigger? Do we want to see the players shooting a BEACH ball out there?
Old 06-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #56
Rex Phinney

MLB is so stupid, the changes they need are pretty easy to figure out.

#1. Get the DH into both leagues. STFU about it's not real baseball and some pitchers can hit etc etc etc. Pitchers coming up these days can't do jack shit with the bat and they won't pitch past 5 innings/ 1 at bat anyway.

#2. Stop the damn shifting. Defensive alignment requires two players on each side of second base until the ball is hit. I don't care if teams want the freedom to lineup were they want. Football forces 7 guys to the line of scrimmage and basketball has rules on your defense too. There is nothing wrong with the rules dictating where your defense has to begin.

#3. Limit the number of pitchers on the roster AND get rid of the 10 day IL. Change the IL to 20 day minimum. Too many teams are using the 10 day IL to shuffle guys on and off the roster and thus expand the roster so they can use 74 pitchers in every game. That bullshit.

#4. Adopt a computerized strike zone. You want to strike out a batter? Do it with real strikes. Throw it over the plate between in an honest strike zone and let the hitters do with it what they can.

#5. Get rid of the sticky stuff on the pitchers hands

#6. Allow teams to trade contracts and NOT have any money they eat count against their luxury tax. This would allow teams like the Yankees and Dodgers to spend money like drunken sailors and then trade (and still pay for) big contracts to small market teams. Albert Pujols would have been traded while he was actually still good. Giancarlo Stanton would be on a new team tomorrow
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 06:01 PM   #57
Marshall Bennett

I think the DH was the worst change ever made to baseball. It removed a huge strategic element from the game. These days with all the cheating and other distractions, there's little left on the chessboard to decide games anymore.
Marshall Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 07:15 PM   #58
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall Bennett View Post
I think the DH was the worst change ever made to baseball. It removed a huge strategic element from the game. These days with all the cheating and other distractions, there's little left on the chessboard to decide games anymore.

I used to think that too, but I've changed.

When the pitcher's spot comes up in the order lots of times the decision on when to pull him is automatic. Once you remove that element the manager has to truly decide when a pitcher is done. No more pulling him an inning early to pinch hit. The manager has more responsibility for every pitching decision he makes.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-15-2021, 07:57 PM   #59
thaskalos

The pitcher shouldn't be asked to hit...it's embarrassing. And the manager shouldn't be asked to wear a player's uniform. In some cases, that's an even bigger embarrassment...IMO.
Old 06-16-2021, 08:33 AM   #60
Valuist

The other problem, besides the obvious one (obsession with pitch velocity) is an entire generation who never learned how to hit properly. They grew up watching steroid freaks play fast pitch softball, swinging from the heels every pitch. Most of the great hitters from years ago didn't start out as power hitters. They were just good hitters and added power to their game as they developed.