Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #46
RunDustyRun

Javier Castellano seems to be fading...just not as strong in the lane these days and it is noticeable when a stronger jockey is riding next to him down the stretch...

Rafael Hernandez is a rider I've always had time for....tried Keeneland a few years back and I thought he was on to bigger and better things but it's not like Woodbine is some back water track

Last edited by RunDustyRun; 10-12-2021 at 05:45 PM.
RunDustyRun is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2021, 05:48 PM   #47
the little guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunDustyRun View Post
Javier Castellano seems to be fading...just not as strong in the lane these days and it is noticeable when a stronger jockey is riding next to him down the stretch...

Rafael Hernandez is a rider I've always had time for....tried Keeneland a few years back and I thought he was on to bigger and better things but it's not like Woodbine is some back water track
I don't think you have been paying attention to how well Javier is riding this meet at Belmont.
the little guy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 12:34 PM   #48
Robert Fischer
clean money

Dylan Davis ...

Thursday, Belmont back.

Gonna check out some of these riders
Old 10-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #49
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
I don't think you have been paying attention to how well Javier is riding this meet at Belmont.
I have. 29% exacta finishes in turf routes.
That is far better than his 10% at Saratoga.
Old 10-14-2021, 02:21 PM   #50
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Imo, Javier has been really effective from off the pace - especially when he works out a trip allowing him to tip to the outside. (Saturday's G1 on the turf. Earlier in today's BEL R3.)

On the other hand, when he rides from off the pace and decides (or is forced) to stay inside - his bid usually fizzles. (Earlier in today's BEL R1.)

Could be the prevailing bias hasn't been kind to rail closing trips. Or maybe he's been unlucky and managed to find traffic the handful of times I've seen him try to close along the inside through the stretch.

Guess I need to go back and watch a lot more video if I want to better understand why he's been so much better closing on the outside than on the inside.

-jp

Last edited by Jeff P; 10-14-2021 at 02:22 PM.
Jeff P is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-14-2021, 02:28 PM   #51
Robert Fischer
clean money

Davis with a nice drive to win R1
I don't 'love' him visually #eyetest on a horse, but solid

but in the 4th
ouch... Rosario completely outclassed them all. Apparently 'live' or perhaps he actually had awareness of getting forward mid race given the obvious pace scenario.

Davis broke with Tingling Mint, but seemed to either have the misfortune of a really off-form mount, or ride as if he had no understanding of the race.

Cherry on top was having to 'wait' and swing out near last

I'm still looking at these guys. Just been getting into the physicality stuff, but 'positional awareness' is a skill that is a must have to compete at the highest level.

Lezcano looks pretty good on a horse at the moment. I'm looking before I know the names.
Old 10-14-2021, 09:06 PM   #52
SG4

There's a jockey named on a mount at Belmont tomorrow, Edward Escobar, who according to Equibase has ridden sparingly in North America since 1997 with 79 rides, and has yet to hit the board. That has got to be a record for futility I'd think
SG4 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-15-2021, 10:40 AM   #53
classhandicapper

I'm going to say Jose Vargas Jr deserves more and better mounts in NY despite recent struggles in NY.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:54 PM   #54
Robert Fischer
clean money

Lezcano yesss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post

Lezcano looks pretty good on a horse at the moment. I'm looking before I know the names.

Another good recent ride by Jose Lezcano.

(among several recent rides, Yesterday a nice ride in the G2 Sands Point aboard the Abreu long shot.)

you know, made the comment above after scouting Belmont and Thistle Downs briefly for 'physicality' (sorta like the eye test, w/ some reasonable fundamental insight) of how a jock looks to me on a horse. I didn't want the names to bias me, so did it 'blind' (unintentional humor).

Was surprised it was Lezcano and not Jose Ortiz (who also sits nice on a horse) or someone.

Is it me , or did Lezcano recently riding a nice streak where he's gone from a 'C' rider in the colony to a 'B-' or even 'B' for a while?

I know Keeneland is running, I know even Javier has come roaring back to form and looking a bit better than the Summer racing, but hey I made a message board comment, and hit a $5.70 exacta...

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I'm going to say Jose Vargas Jr deserves more and better mounts in NY despite recent struggles in NY.
seen some good solid rides from Vargas

Last edited by Robert Fischer; 10-17-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Robert Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2021, 09:32 PM   #55
Robert Fischer
clean money

Luis Villanueva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
Luis Villanueva
had two more mounts since I posted the other day.

both were long shots that ran 3rd, both over $10 to show.

handicapped the most recent one. $12k?clm Turf horse who had no business finishing in the top half of the field. Didn't worry about it and went to a funeral. Horse was no good.

He got the lead inside and took it a long way, looked beaten for 3rd but persevered to hold 3rd and galloped out well.

looked like a bad $5k? claim a while back, and then 3-back the jockey change and has been chipping away at relatively 'break even' and certainly entertaining.

Didn't play either one. This recent race had a horse who dueled him who fin 2nd while much-the-best... pretty logical 'key', and then luis V. 3rd... about $500 Tri... $11? to show... Always looks good after the race..

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: