Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-09-2021, 06:14 PM   #1
VeryOldMan

Cleanest US Jurisdiction?

I've become even more cynical about this sport lately - appreciate Hong Kong's system, but am not in the mood to bet early Wednesday morning and overnight Saturday/Sunday.

What is the best hope here? I enjoy NYRA's coverage and they don't seem to have the issues like CA and FL, but is there any reason to think NY is any better? Opinions wanted.
VeryOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 02:15 PM   #2
AskinHaskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeryOldMan View Post
I've become even more cynical about this sport lately - appreciate Hong Kong's system...

... the system where they shoot poison darts at the horses from underground???

Yep, that's a grand system.
AskinHaskin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 02:44 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

it's hard to be cynical and go to that dark place, and you have apprehension whether Hong Kong's pristine system = clean perfection, or corruption and information in the hands of a few.

You watch pro sports, and you played ball, and you understand the system, and you see everyone today with at least 15lbs more lean muscle.

My Magic Johnson and Kareem is today's LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

Every talented NFL prospect goes from say 230 in high school to a lean 270 in College and the NFL.

We all know about Lance Armstrong and cycling and we've seen guys like Phelps and Bolt who would have been too 'lanky' now setting records with both more strength and stamina.

We know very little publicly about breeding and rearing of these animals and how advancements in medicine and science could affect that.

I have my own battles, and I can't live in that dark place. I can be apprehensive. I can anticipate changes.

All I want is consistency. Whether it's a horse that always runs a 100beyer with an average trip, or whether it's an owner who likes to always move his well-meant claims up 10 points. I want it to be consistent. I don't want a lot of horses to run faster or slower to what is consistently expected. I don't want connections who run horses at a baseline to suddenly start doping. I don't want dopers to suddenly stop doping.

I'll do the rest.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:03 PM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I would guess the 7th at Belmont today knocks them out of consideration

Hong Kong might as well be on the other side of the planet.
Oh, wait, it is!

Never mind.

My 2 cents, for winter, Tam, OP, Lrl.
ABA anything but Aqueduct

Last edited by Tom; 10-17-2021 at 04:12 PM.
Tom is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 05:11 PM   #5
Maximillion

I play most tracks and cant think of one where most horses run with machine-like consistency.I dont think horse racing functions that way or ever has....even if it was nothing but hay, oats and water....and that might actually be a good thing.
Maximillion is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 06:02 PM   #6
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

"Most" apples in any barrel are good too, but how many rotten ones are you willing to accept? Hard to get the taste out of your mouth if you bite into one.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Fischer View Post
it's hard to be cynical and go to that dark place, and you have apprehension whether Hong Kong's pristine system = clean perfection, or corruption and information in the hands of a few.

You watch pro sports, and you played ball, and you understand the system, and you see everyone today with at least 15lbs more lean muscle.

My Magic Johnson and Kareem is today's LeBron James and Anthony Davis.

Every talented NFL prospect goes from say 230 in high school to a lean 270 in College and the NFL.

We all know about Lance Armstrong and cycling and we've seen guys like Phelps and Bolt who would have been too 'lanky' now setting records with both more strength and stamina.

We know very little publicly about breeding and rearing of these animals and how advancements in medicine and science could affect that.

I have my own battles, and I can't live in that dark place. I can be apprehensive. I can anticipate changes.

All I want is consistency. Whether it's a horse that always runs a 100beyer with an average trip, or whether it's an owner who likes to always move his well-meant claims up 10 points. I want it to be consistent. I don't want a lot of horses to run faster or slower to what is consistently expected. I don't want connections who run horses at a baseline to suddenly start doping. I don't want dopers to suddenly stop doping.

I'll do the rest.
While today's players might be taking "special" supplements that lead to them having a lot more lean muscle than they did years ago, the average power forward won't have 15 pounds more muscle in the next GAME than he did last game. His skills also aren't magically increasing overnight. Yet jumps in ability like that happen in horse racing more than we'd like to see. From a gambling (much less ethical) perspective, not at all the same.
castaway01 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-17-2021, 07:35 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
While today's players might be taking "special" supplements that lead to them having a lot more lean muscle than they did years ago, the average power forward won't have 15 pounds more muscle in the next GAME than he did last game. His skills also aren't magically increasing overnight. Yet jumps in ability like that happen in horse racing more than we'd like to see. From a gambling (much less ethical) perspective, not at all the same.

good points.

there was a guy who got caught trying 'levamisole' in a horse.

you know, during the cocaine epidemic in the '80s and '90s, cartels would use levamisole as a 'cut' to stretch cocaine. It was cheaper than cocaine, similar enough in appearance and metabolized to a 'stimulant' that smoothed out the 'come down' of cocaine.

"Levamisole is an imidazothiazole chemical most frequently used as an antihelminthic agent in cattle. Over the last decade, levamisole has been increasingly encountered as an additive in both powder and crack cocaine. A white powder with a “fish scale” appearance, the chemical is physically similar to powder cocaine. In vivo, levamisole is metabolized to aminorex, a compound with amphetamine-like psychostimulatory properties and a long half-life; a priori, this property allows levamisole to potentiate and prolong the stimulatory effects of cocaine while bulking up the drug to increase profit for the dealer."
Old 10-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #9
burnsy
self medicated

Arlington International Race Course is the cleanest . Gotta clean it up to sell it.
burnsy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2021, 02:04 AM   #10
Spacenoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AskinHaskin View Post
... the system where they shoot poison darts at the horses from underground???

Yep, that's a grand system.
To be fair that was one isolated incident 15 years ago.
Spacenoid is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-19-2021, 10:43 AM   #11
HorsemenHeist

Grants Pass is the cleanest circuit I can think of. Almost never see a breakdown or a drug positive. Purses low enough that people there compete for the love of the sport, very charming.
HorsemenHeist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: