Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-14-2021, 12:01 AM   #16
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
You might get more response to (yet another) "favorite announcer?" thread. With the noted exception of that poor guy now retired from Tampa, they seem much more popular than analysts.

For one thing, horseplayers don't see announcers as competition in the handicapping arena. For another, many handicappers consider THEMSELVES the final authority on assessing horse races. And, of course, being presented on tv as an "expert" goes a loooong way towards engendering resentment and skepticism. Especially from such a cynical lot as horseplayers. And then there is the unfortunate truth that a good analyst must, from time to time, knock things, whereas an announcer can keep it pure Pollyanna. And this also widens the popularity gap in some (owners!!!!! trainers!!!! jocks!!!! It is RIDICULOUSLY easy for announcers to cultivate popularity with these groups.) circles.

Race callers, however, exhibiting a practiced skill that handicappers are not trained at, have things teed up for more favorable reviews-in proportion, of course, to their respective talents. No matter that many callers have worked for decades at developing their craft-lots of players still hold them in awe, adhering to the (completely inapplicable) "hey, I couldn't do THAT !" line of reasoning. Conversely, tons of handicappers watch televised analysis and firmly believe they could do it better.

The bottom line? Praise and respect for thoroughbred announcers costs handicappers zero. It can simply be plucked from the ether. But props to an analyst sometimes must be extracted from the player's own ego.
No offense Mark, but there also are very few real analysts that provide information before/between races. NYRA does it far and away the best; you do a good job with your track, no question. Brad Thomas at Momouth, also excellent (haven't watched much this year). But it's not like every track has a keen analyst dissecting races. I played Parx for years as purses skyrocketed, you got some picks at the start of the card and occasionally some rudimentary review of the PPs during the card. Delaware Park in 2021 has freakin' J.J. Graci mumbling and giving picks, and he was old when doing Garden State recaps 35 years ago (J.J.'s family doesn't need to come whack me, everyone knows he's not good on TV).

We could mention NYRA, and Vic, and a few others way down the list but it's bleak.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2021, 12:22 AM   #17
46zilzal
velocitician

Million Dollar Racing used to be on a Canadian Sports channel and weekly reviewed all the major stakes around the world,,, Sadly it was only carried for about 2 years

It was great to finally see course like San Siro in Italy, the major French courses, and some of the very unique ones in Germany.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:25 AM   #18
46zilzal
velocitician

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post

Ultimately, MAJOR changes are coming in all facets of life....I'm ready and I hope you are too.
Yes climate degeneration is going to make major dents in food production, clean water availability, average mean temperature and, or course, oceans rising.
Old 09-14-2021, 09:44 AM   #19
westernmassbob

“NYRA does it far and away the best”

I’ve said it before NYRA provides plenty of info and gets very granular when it comes to dissecting each race. For the novice listeners and handicappers it can get overwhelming. There is a thing called putting too much thought into something and you end up going against what your original selections were. NYRA (specifically Andy Serling) provides a tremendous amount of insight into each race. If you like that sort of thing great but the tale of tape comes with the predicted selections. I watched a race live at Saratoga a few weeks ago where there was five entries. The winner went off the favorite. The NYRA format for talking horses selections is picking four horses. This horse was completely left out of selections by AS. If you listen to the dissection of that race prior you would never have thought the favorite would be left off of his selections. Anyway I like the NYRA product best overall with Gulfstream coming in a close second. I think Jason Blewitt was a loss to NYRA and Gulfstream but bigger things came his way.
westernmassbob is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #20
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by castaway01 View Post
No offense Mark, but there also are very few real analysts that provide information before/between races. NYRA does it far and away the best; you do a good job with your track, no question. Brad Thomas at Momouth, also excellent (haven't watched much this year). But it's not like every track has a keen analyst dissecting races. I played Parx for years as purses skyrocketed, you got some picks at the start of the card and occasionally some rudimentary review of the PPs during the card. Delaware Park in 2021 has freakin' J.J. Graci mumbling and giving picks, and he was old when doing Garden State recaps 35 years ago (J.J.'s family doesn't need to come whack me, everyone knows he's not good on TV).

We could mention NYRA, and Vic, and a few others way down the list but it's bleak.
I get it. And to be honest, I mute the sound at simulcast. Not a knock on my esteemed peers, at all. I just prefer to go it alone. But then again, Mahoning is the only track I bet, at least in a serious manner.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-14-2021 at 10:10 AM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2021, 10:36 AM   #21
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post

I’ve said it before NYRA provides plenty of info and gets very granular when it comes to dissecting each race. For the novice listeners and handicappers it can get overwhelming. There is a thing called putting too much thought into something and you end up going against what your original selections were. NYRA (specifically Andy Serling) provides a tremendous amount of insight into each race. If you like that sort of thing great but the tale of tape comes with the predicted selections. I watched a race live at Saratoga a few weeks ago where there was five entries. The winner went off the favorite. The NYRA format for talking horses selections is picking four horses. This horse was completely left out of selections by AS. If you listen to the dissection of that race prior you would never have thought the favorite would be left off of his selections. Anyway I like the NYRA product best overall with Gulfstream coming in a close second. I think Jason Blewitt was a loss to NYRA and Gulfstream but bigger things came his way.
But NYRA still does it far and away the best...is what you really meant to say.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:47 AM   #22
Andy Asaro

The best handicapping shows give you information that is NOT OBVIOUS.

Serling does a pretty good job at that but many others just handicap on the fly.
Andy Asaro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-14-2021, 10:51 AM   #23
classhandicapper

I prefer shows with analysts that have insights or specialties I don't have.

I like to hear the perspective of jockeys, trainers, and people good at judging horse physicality from race to race because I don't have those skills. For the rest of it, I prefer being on my own and actually hope I disagree with the handicappers on the show since they might impact the prices in a way that helps me.

Last edited by classhandicapper; 09-14-2021 at 10:57 AM.
classhandicapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-18-2021, 11:53 PM   #24
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I prefer being on my own and actually hope I disagree with the handicappers on the show since they might impact the prices in a way that helps me.
My main piece of advise to Mnr players is to focus on races about which you disagree with me. I say this even on the air.
Old 09-19-2021, 12:19 AM   #25
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

You're a Eddie Mush...

Quote:
My main piece of advise to Mnr players is to focus on races about which you disagree with me. I say this even on the air.
Don't like it when you agree with my price plays....Jinx...

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 01:16 AM   #26
ranchwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by westernmassbob View Post

Didn't Serling pick a winner in 1992?
Old 09-19-2021, 01:31 AM   #27
mountainman

Quote:
Don't like it when you agree with my price plays....Jinx...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AISm_ZoctM
My endorsement will jinx your price. That's for sure.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-19-2021 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 01:35 AM   #28
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
If I pick the horse on air, your price won't last for long.
Yes Sir, you are correct....except we rarely agree...It's all good..
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-19-2021, 01:40 AM   #29
mountainman

Quote:
Yes Sir, you are correct....except we rarely agree...It's all good..
That's the spirit. Have a great night, sir.

Last edited by mountainman; 09-19-2021 at 01:42 AM.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #30
classhandicapper

Quote:

Not that I play MNR often, but IMO you are actually very good.

A lot of on air handicappers are very good. I just prefer when they like another horse. I don’t need anyone with a following on TV keying my horses.