Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Handicapping Discussion

Old 07-31-2020, 11:08 PM   #1
Bill Cullen

Have there ever been any really good books done on the distance & surface of a race?

Have there ever been any really good books done on the distance and surface of a race? Most of the studies I've seen treat distance secondarily.

Thanks in advance if you reply and I'm a little slow in acknowledging.

Bill C
Bill Cullen is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-01-2020, 02:58 AM   #2
Psychotic Parakeet
Sartin Methodology Fan

I painstakingly compile distance specific stats, as they really help me with handicapping, way better than any other method I have tried. I have done it so far for the turf routes at Del Mar for their summer season. I get jockey/trainer, sire/broodmare combination, post position, ML and final odds, lay-off data, and running styles. You'd be surprised what you unearth. Some jockeys are crazy-good with certain distances and surfaces.

Here is an example after 20 races so far from the Del Mar meet with the 8.0F turf races:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.55.52 PM.jpg (324.3 KB, 80 views)
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 AM   #3
Bill Cullen

Hi PP,

Thanks for your reply and your information.

Best,

Bill C
Old 08-01-2020, 10:33 AM   #4
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Good question.
A couple of weeks ago, Andy Serling and Tom Amos were talking about the differences between a 9 furlong race at Toga as opposed to Belmont, 1 turn vs 2 turns. Another topic Andy has talked about a lot is turn backs.

We should start a thread in the Handicapper's Corner and talk about this topic, and one about surface. I remember someone posting about surface handicapping a while ago - maybe a search here for "surface handicapping" will turn up something....good topics!

I will use my db to check things out, as best I can, and I am sure others will join in.

Last edited by Tom; 08-01-2020 at 10:37 AM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2020, 11:15 PM   #5
mountainman

The difference between many t-bred distances is not real estate, or even a horse's innate ability to cover the specified furlongs at an individualized rate of travel. T-breds do not perform in vacuums, and the differences are field composition as relates to running style, gate skills, race-flow, and trips.

As I've said lots of times on the show, the real difference between 5 1/2 and 6 furlong races is NOT 110 yards.

BTW, on a deeper level, it's the commonly shared (mis?)perceptions amongst horsemen concerning distance that, in my opinion, gives races of various distances such a dissimilar look.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #6
Bill Cullen

Hi Tom,

Best,

Bill C
Old 08-07-2020, 11:32 PM   #7
Bill Cullen

Hi mountainman,

Best,

Bill C
Old 08-08-2020, 12:23 AM   #8
PressThePace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
BTW, on a deeper level, it's the commonly shared (mis?)perceptions amongst horsemen concerning distance that, in my opinion, gives races of various distances such a dissimilar look.
I could not agree more. There are times when I scratch my head at some of the placements that trainers make when it is crystal clear what distance the horse needs.
PressThePace is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: