Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.56 average.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:12 PM   #46
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty moose
I want to apologize to you, I didn't mean to curse at you. I live here in NY and don't really care for the product from a betting standpoint. I play Finger Lakes way more than I do NYRA. So I'm not aligned with any tracks.

You say without the bettor there is no horse racing, 100% right. So don't spend your money at any of the tracks you don't like. You came across very personal. Put your self in a race track employees shoes.
It's all good, Moose. It just shows how much we all truly care about our beloved Sport of Kings.......
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 11:17 PM   #47
dirty moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
No...I don't think I'll do that. I think I'll just sit back and read the opinions of geniuses like you.
How boring of you. Hopefully everyone else sees thru your BS.
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 PM   #48
thaskalos

Quote:
How boring of you. Hopefully everyone else sees thru your BS.
Yeah, pal...that's why I became a horseplayer. I lose sleep over what others think of me...
Old 09-16-2014, 11:21 PM   #49
dirty moose

Quote:
Yeah, pal...that's why I became a horseplayer. I lose sleep over what others think of me...
Yet you keep responding....
Old 09-16-2014, 11:25 PM   #50
thaskalos

Quote:
Yet you keep responding....
That's because, deep down, I find you sort of interesting...although you DO seem a little misguided. Had you not been misguided...you would have seen that I am NOT one of the "problems" that this game has. In fact...this game would be THRIVING if all the players were like me.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-16-2014 at 11:26 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #51
dirty moose

Quote:
That's because, deep down, I find you sort of interesting...although you DO seem a little misguided. Had you not been misguided...you would have seen that I am NOT one of the "problems" that this game has. In fact...this game would be THRIVING if all the players were like me.
Well until you tell us your plans or tell us how you are, I guess I'll continued to be "misguided"
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #52
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
You guys wanna put all these people out of work so you can make a few more bucks on your exacta, make you no better than the horsemen.
It makes us the CUSTOMERS.
And that is all that counts.
WE get to be greedy - it is GAMBLING, for God's sake.

Do you pay T bone prices for Chuck stake so the dishwashers can keep their jobs?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:33 PM   #53
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Yes, the BETTOR makes the game...but that doesn't mean that the game is his to control. The game belongs to the horsemen and the track owners...and they run it as they see fit. We horseplayers sometimes call this "our game"...but we are confused on this issue. It doesn't BELONG to us, and we don't even have a voice in the way that it's been run.

The horsemen and the track owners have made all the decisions...and now they must live with them. THEY are the ones who have wrecked this game...and the blame for its condition belongs squarely on their shoulders. The horseplayer in an outsider...and an unwelcomed one at that. How can an unwelcomed outsider ever take control of anything?
It all starts with you and me, Thask. We have a newly elected "horseplayers" board member of the NTRA, a classy filly named Judy Wagner. Be sure to give her a call and share with her what you've shared here. You can also support the efforts of HANA, if you choose. The whole process has been slowly coming together in a unified front from the horseplayers perspective. What I've told you probably is old news, but others reading these posts today have confirmed there INDEED is a concern for a forthcoming contraction... If we go to war, I want you on my side, Thask......
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 11:35 PM   #54
barn32
tmrpots

Quote:
But if you don't like the way the do things, just simply don't give them your money.
We won't, and as a result the track will eventually go out of business.
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 PM   #55
dirty moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by barn32
We won't, and as a result the track will eventually go out of business.
And that's much better than waving the hand of god and shutting all but 10 tracks down. You gave them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't fix anything, now it becomes they're own problem.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:41 PM   #56
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall
It all starts with you and me, Thask. We have a newly elected "horseplayers" board member of the NTRA, a classy filly named Judy Wagner. Be sure to give her a call and share with her what you've shared here. You can also support the efforts of HANA, if you choose. The whole process has been slowly coming together in a unified front from the horseplayers perspective. What I've told you probably is old news, but others reading these posts today have confirmed there INDEED is a concern for a forthcoming contraction... If we go to war, I want you on my side, Thask......
My friend...if you've read my posts here then you know that I've been calling for the horseplayers to unite for YEARS now. The "industry" treats us like hopelessly addicted degenerates...and we've given them no reason whatsoever to change their minds about us. The players need to unite and flex their MUSCLE...to show that they are a force to be RECKONED with.

The game today is being run with only the HORSEMEN in mind...and the horseplayers have only THEMSELVES to blame. You don't expect people to GIVE things to you. You prove to them who you are, and what you bring to the table...and then they can't possibly refuse you.

Last edited by thaskalos; 09-16-2014 at 11:44 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 AM   #57
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by magwell
Sad as it is Randall is right, the reality is technology and the evolution of the game is changing the playing field. In the future probably like 10 tracks will be running. Right now in Lexington KY people are buy horses like they understand that,that's reality it's not pretty, but that's the way it is.......
I was thinking would this really be a bad end result for horse racing in the U.S.? It would be a trend moving towards a closed horse racing system. I'm just uncertain if 10 tracks is the correct number. Similar to HK racing, the same number of horses competing. Competitive fields and annually the handle will probably be in the high double digit multi-billions. Since expenses should be lower, the track take-out should be lowered. The downside will be that most track executives and racing commissioners will be unemployed and wondering what went wrong.

But, I haven't really thought this through.

Last edited by whodoyoulike; 09-17-2014 at 12:41 AM.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 AM   #58
magwell

Contraction is diffidently the future of the game, right now we are going through the labor pains of it.How long will it take ? probably many years but it's coming........
Old 09-17-2014, 03:05 AM   #59
raybo
EXCEL with SUPERFECTAS

Well, as a resident of a state that has a disproportionately high percentage of gamblers, and thus a huge amount of money available with which to wager, we also are one of the largest states, in terms of area, and yet we have only 3 race tracks statewide (set up that way when racing was finally legalized again), and only one at a time running live races (hundreds of miles between tracks and thousands of people unable to drive to one of those 3 tracks on anything remotely resembling a regular basis). Contraction? We had contraction here from the get-go, and yet our racing industry is failing, due to all the previously stated failures by the industry, and the added failure by the state regarding internet wagering (we also don't have OTBs, so to bet you have to drive to one of the 3 tracks in the state).

So, when you talk about contraction being the savior of racing nationwide, where is your proof? Where are the huge pools you speak of going to come from? Do you really think that states that no longer have race tracks within their borders are going to participate in allowing their residents' wagering money to leave the state and travel to the other states that are fortunate enough to have one of the few remaining race tracks?

I think some of you people really need to get a grip. Until the horse racing "powers that be" come to the realization that the bettors are the customers that keep tracks running, and start treating their customers better, then racing will continue to decline. And, what makes you think that when it gets down to 10 tracks that those 10 will not also close? They will become monopolies, and monopolies are almost always a bad thing. The few customers left will still be treated badly, maybe even worse because of the lack of competition due to the existence of fewer tracks.

The key to saving the industry is not contraction, the key is treating the existing customer better, and making your product more attractive to potential new customers.

Excel Spreadsheet Handicapping Forum

Charter Member: Horseplayers Association of North America

Last edited by raybo; 09-17-2014 at 03:10 AM.
raybo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #60
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
And that's much better than waving the hand of god and shutting all but 10 tracks down. You gave them the benefit of the doubt, they didn't fix anything, now it becomes they're own problem.
If a track wants to stay in business, they have to run races that are appealing to customers. I love your passion, not sure why you're unloading on Gus, he's just a customer who bets horse races, he has nothing to do with tracks going under....he's just trying to win his next bet, nothing more, nothing less.

Its a dog eat dog world, nobody wants to see others lose their jobs, but i'm not sure what a horseplayer from Chicago has to do with people losing their jobs in Mass.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply