Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
lamboguy

Stakes day at the Mountain

that looks awesome to me, i just got my plane tickets to Pittsburgh. gonna drive to Chester, W.V. from there and hang out at the Mountain that day.

if anyone else is headed that way, pm me, i'll buy the wiskey
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 05:24 PM   #2
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy
that looks awesome to me, i just got my plane tickets to Pittsburgh. gonna drive to Chester, W.V. from there and hang out at the Mountain that day.

Looked at the entries. Big fields. Should be a fun evening.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #3
brivolta

Anyone else see a problem with using your horse as a party prop?

http://www.moreatmountaineer.com/challenging-goliaths/
From the article:
This appears to be a case of David challenging multiple Goliaths – without his slingshot. Only I know has a career resume that reads seven starts, two wins, a placing and $33,650 in purse earnings. He’ll possess something of a minor home-ring advantage, having made six prior efforts at Mountaineer. But Only I Know also seems to be akin to a lightweight taking on a tag-team of Joe Fraziers.

“Yes, but from the time we purchased Only I Know (for $10,000 as a yearling), we’ve been targeting him for the West Virginia Derby,” said Scott Bowerman, managing partner of the 42-member Flying G. “We’re not really thinking he can win. But it will be great to be at Mountaineer’s celebration on Saturday, and we’re proud that we’ll play a part in it.

Here's the DRF Comment on him: Appears outclassed. Best Beyer 58 and, even worse, that was in his debut. He hasn't gotten any faster. Pass.

Here are some excerpts from Flying G's facebook page. Notice how little of this appears to be about the horse, but rather the owners:

A very proud moment for a whole lot of people has almost come to attrition (I believe they mean fruition). Only I Know or Norris to those that love him, has made what every real Owner, Partner, Team Member and Fan that Loves the Game dreams about, To bask in a priceless moment. It has nothing to do with the money, we cant buy moments like this. Congratulations to a great group of G's that believed that big moments don't have to cost a fortune. It starts with a seed called belief. We started from the bottom now were here. Thanks to The Hubel Family, Debra Rombis, 4 great Jocks, A great group of riders and grooms, The best group G's a horse could ask for and the grace of God!

Here are reasons 4-2 of why they are running him. Reasons 10-5 and reason #1 have all mysteriously disappeared. But you get the point:

Reasons 4-2 on why we want to run in the 2014 WV Derby
4. To promote both Norris and our Team. We sure as hell are not in this to just get a race call or a last place check. Norris is a Fighter and so are we. We asked our Trainer to believe in this insight and to Train Norris accordingly, as to having him at peak Physical and Mental shape come Aug 2nd, well over a year ago. She has done a great job, not only with Norris, in that regards, but with us as well.
3. Norris came out of his races leading up to this, better and better. He himself is telling us, that he is ready. I have in 8 yrs of ownership. never seen a Horse look so energetic,happy and bright eyed, 7 hrs out of the test barn. Should this change in any way, we will not run.
2. To set a record for most people with tears of joy swelling in their eyes, from the intense happiness and a strong felling of Pride for Norris and the Stables Family, when Only I Know is announced as a runner in the race.

And finally, notice they are using this as a "promotional" tool:
It is going to be a promotional next couple months around here. One of the major goals of our existence thus far is fast approaching. You will learn a lot about, what we are and insights on many different reasons, why we feel that "Teamwork is the fuel that allows common people to produce uncommon results"

At any rate, I wish the horse a safe trip and a sound return to the barn.
brivolta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 05:46 PM   #4
Stillriledup
Veteran

I glanced at the card and did ask, more than once, "why is THIS horse in THIS race"

Not sure why the race secretary would permit such outclassed entries, didn't we go thru this with Ricks Golden Star in the Breeders Cup (or whatever his name was)?
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 PM   #5
Mineshaft
Veteran

you cant fix stupid
Mineshaft is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
andtheyreoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillriledup
I glanced at the card and did ask, more than once, "why is THIS horse in THIS race"

Not sure why the race secretary would permit such outclassed entries, didn't we go thru this with Ricks "Natural" Star in the Breeders Cup (that's what his name was)?
I had to have heard this about at least three entrants in the Haskell (one of which, ironically, was Bayern).

And it drives me crazy. You can't complain about small fields, then complain when people enter their runners. If anything, it's better for you, as money on those horses is going to increase the price of the horses you like!
Old 07-29-2014, 07:47 PM   #7
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff
I had to have heard this about at least three entrants in the Haskell (one of which, ironically, was Bayern).

And it drives me crazy. You can't complain about small fields, then complain when people enter their runners. If anything, it's better for you, as money on those horses is going to increase the price of the horses you like!
I'd rather have those runners in races where they won't be 99-1. The small fields don't increase as if these people didn't enter in the race they entered, they would enter a few days later in a different race.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 07:51 PM   #8
dirty moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespaah
Looked at the entries. Big fields. Should be a fun evening.
Day time card.
dirty moose is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #9
Zydeco

Not worried about the races....only that lambo is buying the whiskey!!
Zydeco is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 08:20 PM   #10
brivolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtheyreoff

First of all running those two horses in this race isn't going to have much impact on odds as they will both only be taking barn money. Secondly, I don't want to hear you complain when only I know backs up after 5/8 and ruins a real race horse's trip.
brivolta is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 08:33 PM   #11
tanner12oz

Quote:

I'll be there...always a solid card
tanner12oz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-29-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
proximity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zydeco
Not worried about the races....only that lambo is buying the whiskey!!
that part sounds tempting but looking at the map i can see myself stumbling out of there at 2:00 am and driving laps around this chester place. proximity poker tour meets blair witch project.
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 01:29 PM   #13
cutchemist42

Mountaineer during the day just feels weird to me.
cutchemist42 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #14
ldiatone

Quote:

it gets packed at MNR this day, have been there twice for Wva derby. my last day of work is sat, so i'll catch it on the web. have a nice time.
40 mins from the airport. if you go down the rt 30 route check out the big "tea pot" at the chester exit

and now in Lancaster, CA.
ldiatone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-31-2014, 06:50 PM   #15
sammy the sage

seems TO BE always WET & miserable for THIS day....bad luck...and almost always a CHALKfest when that occurs there...and damn-it...I don't know why .... ...ya'll have fun, ya hear!!!