Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 06-08-2015, 12:32 PM   #286
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage

On Bloodhorse's list of top 100 horses of all time, I think you don't hit a grass runner until #17 (Round Table)...although that list is 10-15 years old by now...perhaps they have revised it...
I don't believe they put out a list like that, I believe, only Top 100 of the 20th century. At least, I never saw it.

When they get around doing 21st century, I'm sure Zen will be on it.
Redboard is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 12:44 PM   #287
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

First chance to post a picture. Heading out to make some history

Attached Images
File Type: jpg AP Paddock.jpg (272.3 KB, 130 views)
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #288
Shelby

Nice Al! You were right up front!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #289
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby
Nice Al! You were right up front!
That is actually about 4 rows deep in the paddock. Didn't even watch the race "live" as it was too crowded by the time I got done with what was needed to be done (sadly was unable to watch from winner's circle this year but it was way more crowded than last year) so I watched it on CC with the bartender while sipping my well deserved annual Belmont Whatever-they-called-it-this-year (it was pretty good) out of the commemorative glass. I am still worn out from Saturday and had to go back to my real job!
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 03:46 PM   #290
ArlJim78

Usually I have no interest is seeing the big racing events live. Don't want to deal with the crowds and hassle, and can view everything on TV just fine.
However seeing the crowd reaction for this Belmont, the absolute pandemonium and emotional release, having 90,000 people screaming at once, man it would have been something to be there for this. It had to have been a huge thrill to witness.
ArlJim78 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #291
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Usually I have no interest is seeing the big racing events live. Don't want to deal with the crowds and hassle, and can view everything on TV just fine.
However seeing the crowd reaction for this Belmont, the absolute pandemonium and emotional release, having 90,000 people screaming at once, man it would have been something to be there for this. It had to have been a huge thrill to witness.

The screaming was mostly amateurs who were about to win their first $2 bet at 3/5 odds.

Just kidding. I remember in the early 2000's seeing a TC race at Belmont and the roar was deafening as they turned for home. And it moved like a giant wave as the horses proceeded through the stretch to the finish line.

It is something everyone should try to experience at least once. By far the loudest sporting event I've heard.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 04:04 PM   #292
nijinski

Had to watch from the Pink Restaurant at the Meadowlands .
Our table and many were standing and screaming at the screen .
It was very exciting , can't imagine being there .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 09:17 PM   #293
EMD4ME
NoPoints4ME

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage
I am not a Hulkamania/chalk loving fan, and neither are most who disagree with you here. Show a little more respect, and you wouldn't have gotten the responses you did here.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised you acted the way you did in this thread.

And for the record, NO HORSE is that lucky. After a while, you have to start chalking it up to talent (pun intended).
I typed up what I really wanted to say (ten minutes and 5000 characters of thoughts) but hit delete at the end when I was done because it is just not worth the debate. I don't care enough to rebut what you said. Whatever.

Don't take it the wrong way but it is my way of taking the highway. Be well.
EMD4ME is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #294
barn32
tmrpots

barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 10:23 PM   #295
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Zayat family during the race

https://amp.twimg.com/v/a9003b07-50c...9-39694fc2f1dc
JustRalph is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #296
jldonah

Exactly. Totally in accord.

It took me a day for the reality to set in about his splits, including watching the race so many times, looking at the charts, reading this forum, journalists' reactions, etc.

I was entertaining relatives and couldn't stare at the television like a six year old on Saturday morning like I would have normally during these kind of days,but I do know I mumbled (audible or not, I don't know) "He's running so strong!" late in the stretch. Incredible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper
The part of his performance that impressed me the most was his last quarter mile. It was 100% the opposite of what I was expecting. I thought he'd be on the lead, have to repulse a few challenges, and then they'd all stagger. He came home in 24.32. Moderate pace or not, that's serious racehorse time at 12F. There's no doubt he's a great horse that belongs on the list of Triple Crown winners. He has speed, stamina, and versatility.
jldonah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-08-2015, 11:52 PM   #297
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Have not ever heard the crowd so loud, for so long, or seen total strangers, so happy, hugging one another. It was insane when Victor, waving, rode Pharoah back up the track, the length of the grandstand for everyone to see him once again.

I took a lot of photos and I bought all three Sunday newspapers--the Times, the Post and the Daily News. I don't care about EBay or $2 win tickets--they fade.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 AM   #298
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by jldonah
...I do know I mumbled (audible or not, I don't know) "He's running so strong!" late in the stretch. Incredible.
When he made the lead on the first turn and the time was 24 seconds I knew the race was over. I was reminded of the way Buck's Boy won the BC Turf Classic in 1997 -- Lone Speed.

Buck's Boy got the lead and nobody wanted to run with him. He slowed the pace and galloped around the track in easy fractions. Then when he got challenged in the stretch he was able to kick away because he had the quickest turn of foot.

AP had the quickest turn of foot on Saturday. He got to the lead and then settled in on easy fractions over quick and untiring surface. Then, unfatigued, was able to use his quickness to kick away from the pack in the stretch.

I don't think a rabbit would have hurt AP any because he didn't have to run with the rabbit. He could wait till the rabbit tired and then pulled away. He ran his race, steady and solid 12 second eighths and, tactically, there really wasn't any good way to beat him.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:34 AM   #299
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by highnote
When he made the lead on the first turn and the time was 24 seconds I knew the race was over. I was reminded of the way Buck's Boy won the BC Turf Classic in 1997 -- Lone Speed.

Buck's Boy got the lead and nobody wanted to run with him. He slowed the pace and galloped around the track in easy fractions. Then when he got challenged in the stretch he was able to kick away because he had the quickest turn of foot.

AP had the quickest turn of foot on Saturday. He got to the lead and then settled in on easy fractions over quick and untiring surface. Then, unfatigued, was able to use his quickness to kick away from the pack in the stretch.

I don't think a rabbit would have hurt AP any because he didn't have to run with the rabbit. He could wait till the rabbit tired and then pulled away. He ran his race, steady and solid 12 second eighths and, tactically, there really wasn't any good way to beat him.
He was special from the get go , I posted the Delmar Futurity in another thread I'll post it here too .
He broke his maiden in the futurity .
https://youtu.be/EeSXlUkoTFQ
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-09-2015, 12:38 AM   #300
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijinski
He was special from the get go , I posted the Delmar Futurity in another thread I'll post it here too .
He broke his maiden in the futurity .
https://youtu.be/EeSXlUkoTFQ
Yep. I saw that link and watched the race. He looked really good in the Futurity.