Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 05-14-2019, 06:24 PM   #31
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Let me emphasize the part that is relevant and why I posted it from this site

What, Exactly, Does Congress Have the Authority To Investigate?
http://www.mololamken.com/news-knowledge-34.html

While Congress can investigate conduct that may be criminal, Congress itself lacks the authority to bring criminal charges or otherwise initiate a criminal prosecution. If a congressional investigation uncovers evidence of criminal activity, however, Congress may refer the matter to the Department of Justice for investigation and, potentially, prosecution. Sometimes, the DOJ investigation predates the congressional investigation. No matter which branch of government moves first to investigate, however, the end result is that a congressional investigation often will run parallel to a criminal investigation. As a result, evidence developed in a congressional investigation might be used by the DOJ in its criminal investigation or in a prosecution.
It has been running in parrallel to the Mueller report. No matter which which branch of government moved first to investigate
The part that is relevant is congress uncovers a crime during the course of an investigation based in its power to legislate, the only remedy for Congress is to refer its finding to the DoJ. Investigating solely whether or not a crime has been committed is not a legislative purpose covered in Congress' "implied" powers, as investigating crimes is not an enumerated power of Congress

For the sake of argument. Let's say congress finds that the President committed a crime. What can Congress legally do as to the crime itself? Congress can only refer the President to the DoJ for investigation and possible prosecution. The investigations have been done by the DoJ. Congress investigating if the President committed a crime is just redundant.

Redundant because once Congress determined a crime has been committed, Congress can only ask the DoJ to investigate and the DoJ has already investigated the alleged crime. The DoJ invested the obstruction issue and found the President did not commit a crime.

That is how the system works, per the Constitution. The investigation into obstruction has been conducted by the only appropriate branch of government and then made a decision, a decision it has the sole authority to make. The decision is no obstruction.

Again, Congress has the power to impeach. If Congress believes it has grounds to remove President Trump via the Mueller "road map", Congress needs to open a formal impeachment proceeding and not these attempts to portray faux impeachment hearings.

Last edited by Show Me the Wire; 05-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #32
FantasticDan
gelding

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysiantraveller View Post
Weird flex but okay...
FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:36 PM   #33
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Another great Buckeye! RIP
Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM   #34
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantasticDan View Post

You're gonna wear out this quote from a full on Lefty from The Atlantic in a single day bro.

And it is meaningless.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:46 PM   #35
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Not proper because there is no formal impeachment.

The Whitewater investigation had been based on actions prior to Clinton's presidency and involved legitimate Congressional business as Congress legislates banking laws.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #36
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
You're gonna wear out this quote from a full on Lefty from The Atlantic in a single day bro.

And it is meaningless.
Not really, it is very useful to demonstrate how people lie to the American public to distort the public's perception. #more fake news #biased lies.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM   #37
FantasticDan
gelding

FantasticDan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #38
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:

You keep quoting stupid shit as if it is enlightening.

Chris Hayes at @MSNBC?

What are your actual thoughts Dan?
Old 05-14-2019, 07:01 PM   #39
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Again not true.

Here is the argument:

Quote:
A lawyer for the president, William Consovoy, asserted on Tuesday that the Democrats’ subpoena fell outside of Congress’ legislative function and that the House was claiming “unbridled” power to investigate Trump

“They have made clear that this is not about legislation................
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1SK13A

The argument is Congress is creating a Constitutional crisis through overreach. Congress is trying to usurp Executive Branch powers.

Chris Hayes. #biased lies # confuse the American public
Old 05-14-2019, 07:12 PM   #40
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
You keep quoting stupid shit as if it is enlightening.

Chris Hayes at @MSNBC?

Apparently Dan feels lies are enlightening. They are but not in the way he believes.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:17 PM   #41
tucker6

Quote:
After you and your buddies get done high fiving each other, the answer is "impeachment". That's your recourse.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #42
tucker6

Quote:
I asked him that very question once. He responded with a meme.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM   #43
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire
The part that is relevant is congress uncovers a crime during the course of an investigation based in its power to legislate, the only remedy for Congress is to refer its finding to the DoJ. Investigating solely whether or not a crime has been committed is not a legislative purpose covered in Congress' "implied" powers, as investigating crimes is not an enumerated power of Congress
Lying to congress is one. And it occurred frequently among many Trump associates testifying to congress.

May not be a "nexus" legally but unless you are in total denial, it sure paints a dismal portrait of Trump-ville.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:20 PM   #44
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Lying to congress is one. And it occurred frequently among many Trump associates testifying to congress.

May not be a "nexus" legally but unless you are in total denial, it sure paints a dismal portrait of Trump-ville.

Remember your thoughts on lying to Congress.

Remember your thoughts on "under oath" testimony.

Remember your thoughts on spying on opponents campaigns.

None of those happened.

And most definitely make sure you don't make any excuses for the Democrat minions.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:27 PM   #45
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:

A perfect example of the type of crimes uncovered in Congressional hearings. Could it be that the people who lied were led into a perjury trap or that interview notes were tampered with.

Right now there are several investigations going on, an investigation of Comey, an IG investigation of the FBI regarding the FISA warrants, an investigation by prosecutor Huber (unknown subject matter) and now a criminal investigation into the origins of the Russia investigation.

All of which are serious matters, much more serious than lying to Congress.

Let's withhold judgement until we know the results of the afore-mentioned investigations.