Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #16
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Germany controls the EU and Germany doesn't want Britain to leave. PM May keeps on presenting Merkel's agreement and Parliment keeps rejecting it.
A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies.
George Washington
Show Me the Wire is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 07:55 PM   #17
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
The Good Friday agreement to bring peace to Northern Ireland will continue to apply in all Brexit scenarios, the European Union’s chief Brexit negotiator Michel Barnier said on Wednesday.

Respecting the Good Friday agreement meant preventing the return of a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, he told the European Parliament in Strasbourg.

“In all scenarios, the Good Friday agreement will continue to apply. The United Kingdom will remain a core guarantor of that agreement and is expected to uphold it in spirit and in letter,” he said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKCN1R80YK
But this is where it gets so complicated. If there is a hard Brexit there would still need to be a plan to have regulatory checks between the countries even if away from the border otherwise goods from Britain could then enter the EU via Northern Ireland. The other alternatives would be Northern Ireland still remaining within the customs union with the rest of the UK not in it so technically the border would be in the North Sea between Ireland and GB and having to have customs check between different parts of the UK, Britain and Northern Ireland.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:00 PM   #18
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappit View Post
But this is where it gets so complicated. If there is a hard Brexit there would still need to be a plan to have regulatory checks between the countries even if away from the border otherwise goods from Britain could then enter the EU via Northern Ireland. The other alternatives would be Northern Ireland still remaining within the customs union with the rest of the UK not in it so technically the border would be in the North Sea between Ireland and GB and having to have customs check between different parts of the UK, Britain and Northern Ireland.
I am so hopeful that Scotland does vote for independence sooner than later.

Na h-alba gu brąth
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:23 PM   #19
snappit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko699 View Post
I am so hopeful that Scotland does vote for independence sooner than later.

Na h-alba gu brąth
As you will be aware Scotland recently voted against independence but Brexit could well change that if there was another independence referendum as Scotland voted to remain in the EU (as did N Ireland with England and Wales voting to leave). Brexit certainly does increase the possibility of a break up of the UK in the future.
snappit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #20
jocko699
Resurrectionist

Quote:
As you will be aware Scotland recently voted against independence but Brexit could well change that if there was another independence referendum as Scotland voted to remain in the EU (as did N Ireland with England and Wales voting to leave). Brexit certainly does increase the possibility of a break up of the UK in the future.
Yes I am aware. My bride was born there and I am one generation removed. Scotland will become independent within the next 10 years and the results will be very interesting.
Battle is the most magnificent competition in which a human being can indulge. It brings out all that is best; it removes all that is base. All men are afraid in battle. The coward is the one who lets his fear overcome his sense of duty. Duty is the essence of manhood.
jocko699 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #21
elysiantraveller

Quote:
Man...

Talk about being dead set at making this as brutally painful as possible...
Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #22
HalvOnHorseracing

I'm visiting England, Scotland, and Ireland in July. Sounds like it will be a great time.
HalvOnHorseracing is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #23
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Race tracks?
Old 04-05-2019, 07:47 AM   #24
barn32
tmrpots

No Wonder I'm Confused

Brexit Makes Trading the Pound Dangerous

Quote:
But as the Brexit drama has intensified over the past few weeks, with critical votes being held almost every day followed by an endless stream of commentary, speculation and conflicting reports, parsing all of this data has rendered the pound practically untradeable for algos designed to read and react to newswire headlines.
Quote:
This "blizzard" of Brexit-related headlines has been one of the biggest challenges for algorithmic traders in their short existance. Reuters has pumped out as many as 400 Brexit-related headlines a day in recent weeks, up from just 15 on average before Brexit, while Bloomberg has published as many as 1,000 on particularly busy days, like on March 12, when MPs rejected Theresa May's withdrawal agreement for the second time.
Quote:
After Prime Minister Theresa May decided to pursue talks with the opposition, we saw a surge in conflicting Brexit headlines, presumably because the fractious interest groups within the government and the opposition have engaged in a chaotic battle royal to try and wrest control of the narrative. Just look at the news flow since the beginning of the week: news wires have reported that the PM will pursue talks with the opposition, that she might endorse a vote on Brexit-deal alternatives, that she might call for a general election, request a long Brexit delay, request a short Brexit delay, possibly consider another referendum etc. etc. And that's not even factoring in the reports from Brussels.

Link
barn32 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 12:29 PM   #25
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

P.M. May submits resignation over failed efforts regarding Brexit. Interesting timing, is Brexit the only cause for resignation? Submits resignation when President Trump orders declass of intelligence documents through AG Barr and not DNI Coats.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:25 PM   #26
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
P.M. May submits resignation over failed efforts regarding Brexit. Interesting timing, is Brexit the only cause for resignation? Submits resignation when President Trump orders declass of intelligence documents through AG Barr and not DNI Coats.
It was Brexit.Donald Trump's personal attorney, William Barr, has nothing to do with it.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 05-24-2019 at 02:27 PM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 02:47 PM   #27
horses4courses

Good riddance.....

Theresa May has been completely ineffective as UK PM.
About the worst I can recall.

Her replacement faces a tough transition.
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM   #28
Show Me the Wire
Quintessential guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
It was Brexit.Donald Trump's personal attorney, William Barr, has nothing to do with it.
William Barr is not the President's personal attorney, Barr is the AG. The AG who is investigating crimes and collusion by U.S. agencies with foreign intelligence agencies.

Italy's President already taken action against 6 Deputy Directors of intelligence agencies, due to Spygate, regarding the spying on Papadopoulos. It is common knowledge the Papadopoulos saga started in London.

We will just have to wait and see, won't we.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:35 PM   #29
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by horses4courses View Post
Theresa May has been completely ineffective as UK PM.
About the worst I can recall.

Her replacement faces a tough transition.
What will be so tough, h4c? Really.

The EU, especially Germany, needs the UK way more than the UK needs the EU. The UK buys more Germany-made cars than any country in the EU, for example. But most importantly, the UK has been a net contributor to the EU coffers and have given more than what they've received.

The UK could make bilateral trade deals around the world with all parties being bound by pre-EU WTO rules.

It's a lot simpler than what's being reported in the elitist press. Really.

The only real loser in a hard Brexit is the Tory Party. They've gone the way of the USA Republican Party and have paid the price of lying to their constituents while selling out to corporate interests and unfettered globalism.

The GOP's death-knell have also been ticking and will formally end when Trump leaves office in all probability, but that's for another day.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-24-2019, 03:41 PM   #30
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
Quote:
William Barr is not the President's personal attorney, Barr is the AG.
Ya coulda fooled me.

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply