Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 06-26-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
chadk66

SCOTUS OK's travel ban

chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
Clocker

It grants a temporary and partial approval.

Quote:
The court said Monday the ban on visitors from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen could be enforced as long as they lack a "credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States." The justices will hear arguments in the case in October.
Bona fide relationship means family relation, someone already a student in a US school, or someone with employment with a US company.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #3
tucker6

A 90 percent win for The Donald.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
chadk66

just more winning. nothing new
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
reckless
Veteran

While it should have never reached the US Supreme Court in the first place, once again, President Donald J. Trump was proven 100 per cent correct in the travel ban.

In addition to basic common sense, Trump had the US Constitution in his favor.

The real problem was anti-America presidents such as B.J. Clinton and Barry Obama who loaded the lower courts throughout the years with ideologues and idiots, with little regard to our sovereignty, safety, or laws.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
Clocker

This decision is not about the travel ban, or Trump's ability to issue it. This decision is about the temporary injunctions issued by the 4th and 9th Circuits staying that ban.

The issue as to the legality of the ban will be taken up by the Court in its fall session.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #7
tucker6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
This decision is not about the travel ban, or Trump's ability to issue it. This decision is about the temporary injunctions issued by the 4th and 9th Circuits staying that ban.

The issue as to the legality of the ban will be taken up by the Court in its fall session.
That may be, but the SCOTUS decision to allow the ban to go forward prior to the hearing speaks volumes about their thinking. The travel ban is for 90 days unless extended. That means that by the time of oral arguments, the ban may be over already.
tucker6 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 01:18 PM   #8
woodtoo

-ayes
Zero-nays
hear,here.
woodtoo is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 01:27 PM   #9
classhandicapper

I've lost all faith in congress, the Fed, the media and everyone else in what I think is the biggest priority - getting our financial house in order. They are all a bunch of liars, losers and scumbags. However, if Trump can keep stacking the Supreme Court with young conservative constitutionalists, I'll consider him a resounding success. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent the next market collapse and recession. That story was written during the last administration.
Old 06-26-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by classhandicapper View Post
I've lost all faith in congress, the Fed, the media and everyone else in what I think is the biggest priority - getting our financial house in order. They are all a bunch of liars, losers and scumbags. However, if Trump can keep stacking the Supreme Court with young conservative constitutionalists, I'll consider him a resounding success. There's nothing anyone can do to prevent the next market collapse and recession. That story was written during the last administration.
But you and I both know the media will never, ever view it that way. But you are 100% correct.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #11
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
The travel ban is for 90 days unless extended. That means that by the time of oral arguments, the ban may be over already.
I doubt that SCOTUS will issue an order on this before the end of the year.

The 90 day ban is supposed to give the government time to review its vetting procedures. I doubt the administration can accomplish that within 90 days, and if they can, the new procedures will certainly be challenged by the left. So the "temporary" ban will be extended until SCOTUS rules on the issue.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:25 PM   #12
boxcar

Quote:
I doubt that SCOTUS will issue an order on this before the end of the year.

The 90 day ban is supposed to give the government time to review its vetting procedures. I doubt the administration can accomplish that within 90 days, and if they can, the new procedures will certainly be challenged by the left. So the "temporary" ban will be extended until SCOTUS rules on the issue.
Maybe not. This administration has had all this time to work quietly during this period of stays. I think it would be outrageously funny if the temporary ban expires and the new vetting procedures are implemented before the SC gets around to hearing what would, then, become a non-case. Talk about an easy, no-brainer court decision.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:02 PM   #13
mostpost

Quote:
It grants a temporary and partial approval.

Bona fide relationship means family relation, someone already a student in a US school, or someone with employment with a US company.
How about that, there is a conservative who can read.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:04 PM   #14
mostpost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker6 View Post
A 90 percent win for The Donald.
More like a 30 percent temporary win.
Old 06-26-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostpost View Post
How about that, there is a conservative who can read.
I can also read between the lines. The decision lets the administration do what ever it wants to do.

The word "temporary" has no meaning in government. Once the policy is in place, it will take a Democratic president to take it out.

The exception for those with a "bona fide relationship" also means whatever the administration wants it to mean, because it now needs to establish a vettting procedure to verify a "bona fide relationship".