Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 06-06-2017, 03:00 PM   #1
sharkey11

quirks of harness tracks

theres a few things that bug me about harness tracks #1 why would a track tell the public about a drivers choice and not bother to say anything about any claims in the race before the race is run .#2 why do tracks post payoffs on wagers that the payoff is greater than the money in the pool mabey its me but i realy find these things iritating
sharkey11 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #2
EdZone
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkey11 View Post
theres a few things that bug me about harness tracks #1 why would a track tell the public about a drivers choice and not bother to say anything about any claims in the race before the race is run .#2 why do tracks post payoffs on wagers that the payoff is greater than the money in the pool mabey its me but i realy find these things iritating
#1 I have seen the announcer did say how many claims of a hose before the race in the live video.

#2 If nobody win the $1 bet then the 20 cents will be huge but they post the payoff of a $1 bet even nobody win the $1 bet. So the payout looks big.
EdZone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2017, 06:52 PM   #3
Longshot6977

Some tracks should change their MTP designation to MAP. Minutes After Post.

It would be nice if all tracks posted/announced their exotic payoffs as the lowest wager amount(10c super, 50c tri eg) since most bettors use those wager amounts or everyone just post it as a $2 payoff and we'll calculate it ourselves, but it should be consistent between the tracks.

Regarding announced claims, watch the horse's odds drop a little just after the announcement. Connections are trying hard one last time with the horse and it may even get whipped a lot more in the stretch drive.

Since each track is basically owned by different entities, they do as they wish. Which comes down to the usual comment that maybe there should be a racing czar that oversees procedures and policies. We can keep dreaming.
Longshot6977 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
sharkey11

well ed youve got a point on the claims at certian tracks but to me why some and not the others . but i beg to differ with you on the tracks posting payoffs that are larger than the pool holds this to me is the equivlent to bate and switch and should be stoped . my point on the claims is that they should do the same at all tracks ive seen posts in here that useing the drivers choice have no value but some of these same tracks put them up but do not post the claims till after the race why not put them up before the race !
Old 06-06-2017, 07:00 PM   #5
sharkey11

you have a valid point there longshot as to the claims and they do as they wish well my bets and i will do as we wish i guess . ha ha to the tracks that do as they wish
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM   #6
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

One of the quirks of harness if someone could explain is the behavior of the drivers during the last strides before the finish line...some seem to be hopping around in the bike, others appear to lie flat on their backs....I can see that lying down might decrease air drag, but what gives with the hopping...?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
EdZone
Power User

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
One of the quirks of harness if someone could explain is the behavior of the drivers during the last strides before the finish line...some seem to be hopping around in the bike, others appear to lie flat on their backs....I can see that lying down might decrease air drag, but what gives with the hopping...?
I think the driver try to win the race by pushing the horse going too fast. The horse can't handle it and go off stride.
EdZone is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-06-2017, 08:33 PM   #8
sharkey11

well uve heard the term of dont beat a dead horse well it seems the tracks will issue a fine for either over whipping or under whipping just another cockeyed way for the track to raise money
Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 AM   #9
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
In general terms,. the hopping is to make the horse think there is trouble behind him and he had better get away from it.
Jess Hawsen Arown is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
sharkey11

heres another i seem to gravitate to the smaler tracks .this realy tics me off the wise guys will bet a large sum early on what looks like a legit fav then just before they go take the money off it an switch to another fav the 2nd or 3d fav its a game theyve been playing for years and it stinks ive learnd to recognise it but the newbys will get takin in by this and get hurt i think it should be stoped
Old 06-11-2017, 12:45 PM   #11
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
heres another i seem to gravitate to the smaler tracks .this realy tics me off the wise guys will bet a large sum early on what looks like a legit fav then just before they go take the money off it an switch to another fav the 2nd or 3d fav its a game theyve been playing for years and it stinks ive learnd to recognise it but the newbys will get takin in by this and get hurt i think it should be stoped
I've also seen bettors do that just for kicks. I remember one day many years ago at Meadowlands simo, standing near some guys who laughed at the chances of one of the horses. They then proceeded to bet $400 to win on him and watch the odds tumble. They removed the bet shortly before post time.

Per your comment on newbies, how about the mental midget handicappers on the TV. They are forever commenting on the early money as if the odds are real. THEY ALL DO IT!
Old 06-16-2017, 04:47 PM   #12
thespaah

Quote:
Back in the late 70's when I started betting on harness, information was scarce. The only info available was equipment changes. Fortunately, I became a student of the game, so I had an understanding of the equipment and its purpose and effects.
As far as driver's choice.....NYRA does this with their race cards. The rider's first and second choice( if applicable) is printed in the program. I see nothing wrong with sharing this with the public.
With regard to claims....Same thing. Announcement of claims on horses in a particular race is prudent. The bettors have a right to know. All tracks should do this. It is pertinent info.
Many tracks still base their payoff prices on a $2 minimum..
If the track offers a lower minimum, the payoffs should be listed based on that minimum....
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 09:50 AM   #13
sharkey11

thats the point in a nutshell all tracks need to do these things not just what they feel like doing . the problem is a lot of the tracks could care less about online players they would rather see people at there slots and are told to not pay much attention to online or adw players needs by guess who the owners of said tracks you know our money goes into your pools too !
Old 06-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #14
forced89

I loved harness racing when it was on the old half mile tracks. IMO handicapping was more difficult benefiting those of us who were good at it.
forced89 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 06-18-2017, 10:57 AM   #15
Jess Hawsen Arown

Quote:
Originally Posted by forced89 View Post
I loved harness racing when it was on the old half mile tracks. IMO handicapping was more difficult benefiting those of us who were good at it.
...and without a passing lane. Those who paid close attention to the races had a huge advantage.

Although 'trip' handicapping has become more difficult because of the prevalence of courtesy tucks.