Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 4.93 average.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Lefty

POPS&TIPS

Just got an advert from RPM and Len C that Len has programmed the old pen and pencil POPS & TIPS into a software prgm. I thght the old penand pencil had value but just too much to do. The manual was almost 300 mpages. Price for now is $277. Says that's good for 17 days.
Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #2
timtam

I know he programmed some of the tips into actually 2 programs

one was place to show and included was show a profit. In the detail lines

it gives the number of tips each horse accumulated. I just can't figure

out how just the pops part would be so expensive. Whew
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-25-2007, 12:57 AM   #3
Lefty

Well, in this he has programmed 77 tips and 33 subsets of tips. So it's not just the Pops part, plus he also includes the 2 you mentioned. $277 is only good for 17 days they say, then it goes up.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:10 AM   #4
BeatTheChalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty
Just got an advert from RPM and Len C that Len has programmed the old pen and pencil POPS & TIPS into a software prgm. I thght the old penand pencil had value but just too much to do. The manual was almost 300 mpages. Price for now is $277. Says that's good for 17 days.
Dont get me started on Pops and Tips !! I am the inventor of the Pop
System. I had a business deal with Mr Tom Worth years ago. He simply
chose not to go along with it ..once it was put together and money was
coming in. Maybe the good folks at RPM will send me a complimentary copy.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
keenang

Wink Pops and Tips

I have a Pop method that I bought some time ago but it was by a gentlemen by the name of Earl Sigloff(sp). It was more of an odds system. but it could get some good longshots.

Geno
keenang is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 09:49 AM   #6
timtam

I had the POPS stuff too put out by Earl Sigiloff. I remember they took a

large piece of paper and just put different angles all over the page. If it fit

in and was sideways so be it. I remember one called lightning in a bottle

and then double lightning in a bottle. I was more interested in the POPS

and kind of over looked the TIPS. I guess that speaks for me always

looking at the wrong place at the wrong time.
timtam is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
Lefty

The TIPS part was the lateTom Worth's stuff and the Pops & Tips manual(paper pencil mthd)was almost 300 pages and had over 100 Tips. Earl put out the Pops Part first(if memory serves)and called it A Horse Of a Different Color, and then as he has said, just a few posts ago, he and Worth got together. I remember that when a horse got a lot of tips it was a very "live" horse, but it just took too long to go over all the tips, so i gave up on it.

Last edited by Lefty; 11-26-2007 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
RaceBookJoe

Quote:
The TIPS part was the lateTom Worth's stuff and the Pops & Tips manual(paper pencil mthd)was almost 300 pages and had over 100 Tips. Earl put out the Pops Part first(if memory serves)and called it A Horse Of a Different Color, and then as he has said, just a few posts ago, he and Worth got together. I remember that when a horse got a lot of tips it was a very "live" horse, but it just took too long to go over all the tips, so i gave up on it.
Hey Chuck, i have the Pops and Tips printed stuff and I came to the same conclusion as you. BTW...hope you had a good Thanksgiving, will make it to JN to see ya in the next couple of weeks.
RaceBookJoe is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 11:23 AM   #9
Lefty

RBJ, looking forward to it.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Light
Veteran

That system worked great when I first used it years ago then it fizzled out. But it did have some good tips which are basically angles, which I still use today,such as back in 3 days or a z pattern in a running line where no trouble is reported. I guess everyone has their own arsenal of tips(angles) and most are well known and cliche,but I thought they did have some refreshing,lesser noticed ones which gave it its strength.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #11
Tom Barrister
Veteran

Quote:
Well, in this he has programmed 77 tips and 33 subsets of tips. So it's not just the Pops part, plus he also includes the 2 you mentioned. $277 is only good for 17 days they say, then it goes up.
And it's likely that you can get the software for that price for the next 17 months. It's also possible that the price will go down, once the supply of people willing to pay $277 is gone.

I wonder how many of these pops/tips are similar to Steve Wolson's paper and pencil methods or Chuck Blaskower's many methods? I printed a screen of Powerline in some thread. If I remember, only one of the 24 methods was above an ROI of 0.90; the rest were between 0.76 and 0.88. I also remember modeling BLaskower's Power Zap over a calendar month and about 16 tracks. None of his 12 or 13 methods reached 0.90, either, and some were sub 0.70.

I subscribe to HTR and CJ's program, and I'm currently evaluating JCapper. All have at least six months of data in their respective databases. HTR and JCapper each have dozens of rankable factors, and CJ's program has eight that I can think of. No factor produced by any of them shows a positive ROI, although a few do hit in the low 90's. These are, in my opinion, three of the top five thoroughbred handicapping programs on the planet, and none of them is a black box that shows a profit.

The point is that if the most powerful programs on the planet can't produce a positive ROI, and if the countless prevous attempts of Messrs. Blaskower, Wolson, Worth, etc. can't produce a positive ROI, why would anybody expect this program to do any better? The trap that many users will fall into is to find small subsets (i.e. claimers racing at 6 furlongs at Philadelphia) that one or another of its many systems has a high win rate and/or a healthy ROI, and go banging away on it. Unfortunately, what backfits well seldom works forwardly, and a lot of purchasers of this kind of program are going to lose far more than the $277 they spend on it.
Tom Barrister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #12
njcurveball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Barrister
If I remember, only one of the 24 methods was above an ROI of 0.90; the rest were between 0.76 and 0.88. I also remember modeling BLaskower's Power Zap over a calendar month and about 16 tracks. None of his 12 or 13 methods reached 0.90, either, and some were sub 0.70.

Kind of makes you think of the old racetrack lament.

Sure hope I break even today, I could use the money!
njcurveball is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-26-2007, 07:44 PM   #13
BeatTheChalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenang
I have a Pop method that I bought some time ago but it was by a gentlemen by the name of Earl Sigloff(sp). It was more of an odds system. but it could get some good longshots.

Geno
That B me. It is still a good system ! It takes too long .. but if u pick your
spots ..it's not bad. Pssst .. Dont tell anyone ..the workout patterns are
fantastic
Old 11-26-2007, 07:52 PM   #14
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Dat B U?
Hey, I read some of your articles in Gambling Times....used to get my Mark Cramer fix from that mag.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:08 AM   #15
Pcon04

lefty or someone

where is that website for that len or dave or what's his name

for pops and tips software??
Pcon04 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: