Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 10-09-2017, 12:50 AM   #106
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

EDIT (Deleted quoted post of a known troll)

Laughably, in just a few short years, horse owners will be collecting only ribbons after their horse finishes in the money.....There will be NO bettors, except for trainers, grooms and owner's family members banking the game between themselves. You see, that's "horse racing's way", down the toilet, though it might take a few flushes to get it all down the hole.....Next.

EDIT (I left this part because it can stand on its own)

Last edited by cj; 10-09-2017 at 12:54 AM.
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 09:01 AM   #107
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 10:12 AM   #108
Not4Love
not4love

Count me in. Nothing wrong with Gulfstream!!!
Old 10-09-2017, 11:44 AM   #109
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not4Love View Post
Count me in. Nothing wrong with Gulfstream!!!
Santa Anita has been awesome so far......minus the timing issues.
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #110
jay68802

jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-09-2017, 12:54 PM   #111
alhattab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff P View Post
Handle Update

Keeneland Fall Meet 2016 vs. 2017, the first three days:
http://www.playersboycott.org/handleupdate10082017.html

-jp

The Saturday number is meaningful. The Sunday one not so much. Regarding the Saturday number, I can't see any reasonable spin other than it is just one day. Attendance was a little higher. Last year even featured a dreaded 4:00 conflict with UK football, whereas for 2017 the game was at 7:30 (both were home games). As far as I could tell, there were no minus pools or other anomalies last year. The only thing that stuck out was the handle on the First Lady was off $560k vs. 2016, with the 2016 renewal featuring Tepin.

By my calc, the expected decline would be about $200k and change, with all else being equal other than the rake hike. I took last years total handle of $15.9 million, assumed 25% of that was Exacta handle exposed to additional 3% rake and that 40% was WPS handle exposed to additional 1.5% rake:

$15.9*.25*.03= $120k
$15.9*.4*.015= $95k
alhattab is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 AM   #112
Jeff P

Location: JCapper Platinum: Kind of like Deep Blue... but for horses.
Kentucky Downs Handle Update:
http://www.playersboycott.org/handleupdate10122017.html

Quote:
Oh, I almost forgot. Last night I had a conversation with a fellow horseplayer who asked me:

"Jeff, If there's one thing you would tell Keeneland they need to be doing different what would that be?"

I thought about it for a minute and said: "Lower takeout. But do it incrementally. And measure the response."

But after I got off the phone it hit me. I really should have said: "Tell them they need to be doing exactly what Kentucky Downs did back in 2013.

They more than tripled their handle over the past five years by taking the novel approach of asking a horseplayers association to help them promote a three quarter point drop in exacta takeout."

-jp

Old 10-12-2017, 05:22 AM   #113
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #114
NJ Stinks

So yesterday I'm sitting at a car dealership for a couple hours waiting for my car to go through a 10,000 mile service appointment. Sounds like a bit of a pain but I have the Daily Racing Program for Wednesday with me so this appointment is actually a good thing. I should be home by 3:00pm and hopefully ready to play a few Pick 3's and maybe a Pick 4 from somewhere.

Obviously, with Belmont being dark yesterday the place to handicap was Keeneland. Except I - a guy who flew to Keeneland to play for the first time a month after 9-11 and several times since then - can't bet there this fall.

How the hell did Keeneland ever lose a guy like me?

Anyway, I played and lost a few hundred yesterday. The most expensive beat was when Whoop Ti Do failed to win the 8th at Gulfstream and sank my Pick 4 ticket so carefully crafted at the auto dealership. But still, the toughest loss yesterday was having to avoid an old friend.

Keeneland.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:11 PM   #115
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Stinks View Post
So yesterday I'm sitting at a car dealership for a couple hours waiting for my car to go through a 10,000 mile service appointment. Sounds like a bit of a pain but I have the Daily Racing Program for Wednesday with me so this appointment is actually a good thing. I should be home by 3:00pm and hopefully ready to play a few Pick 3's and maybe a Pick 4 from somewhere.

Obviously, with Belmont being dark yesterday the place to handicap was Keeneland. Except I - a guy who flew to Keeneland to play for the first time a month after 9-11 and several times since then - can't bet there this fall.

How the hell did Keeneland ever lose a guy like me?

Anyway, I played and lost a few hundred yesterday. The most expensive beat was when Whoop Ti Do failed to win the 8th at Gulfstream and sank my Pick 4 ticket so carefully crafted at the auto dealership. But still, the toughest loss yesterday was having to avoid an old friend.

Keeneland.
To me, the most puzzling question isn't "how did Keeneland lose a guy like you?". The most perplexing question is..."how could you develop the sort of friendship with a racetrack that leaves you guilt-ridden about joining a justified boycott against it?"

"Never smile at a crocodile", a wise friend advised me...when I suggested to him that I considered my bookie to be a "friend" of mine.
Old 10-12-2017, 01:50 PM   #116
jay68802

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplayRandall View Post
It's sad to see your bookie drive up in his perpetually new Caddy, knowing that you paid for it, yet your name is nowhere to be found on the title...
But at least he sends me a good bottle of scotch for Christmas.
jay68802 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #117
NJ Stinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
To me, the most puzzling question isn't "how did Keeneland lose a guy like you?". The most perplexing question is..."how could you develop the sort of friendship with a racetrack that leaves you guilt-ridden about joining a justified boycott against it?"

"Never smile at a crocodile", a wise friend advised me...when I suggested to him that I considered my bookie to be a "friend" of mine.
You ask a very good question, Dr. Thaskalos.

Believe me, I don't have the same fondness for all the tracks I've been to - just most of them!

I guess it's just that Keeneland seems like a shrine to horse racing in the USA....hard to explain I guess....

Last edited by NJ Stinks; 10-12-2017 at 02:45 PM. Reason: misspelling
NJ Stinks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-12-2017, 07:33 PM   #118
Fager Fan
Veteran

I lost faith in KEE when I found out we don't really know who owns it or receives money (through salaries or any other way) from KEE.

As much as I dislike Churchill, at least we know who is who. Same for the other tracks, every one of them except for KEE, who makes upwards of $25 million a year from horse sales.

I'm glad that a track is self-supporting, but how they collected up the stock years ago and then went private, with no one knowing who in Lexington is monetarily benefitting has a bit of a curious smell to it.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 AM   #119
highnote

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
Santa Anita has been awesome so far......minus the timing issues.
I don't play Santa Anita. SA takeout is too high and my adw does not give a rebate on SA Win/Place/Show bets.

I'd rather play Penn National or Remington where the rebate makes the effective takeout on WPS about 11 to 12 percent vs. SA's 15.43 percent.

It's all about money.
highnote is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #120
Afleet

How was handle today?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply