Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2019, 11:58 PM   #9616
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I am actually well-read...in spite of the impression that I make on most of my off-topic brethren here.
Know that. Sorry if it came out that way. It’s just that Frankl and other Shoah authors aren’t on just anyone’s reading list. My Rabbi insisted we read it before confirmation.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:07 AM   #9617
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Know that. Sorry if it came out that way. It’s just that Frankl and other Shoah authors aren’t on just anyone’s reading list. My Rabbi insisted we read it before confirmation.
I knew what you meant all along...and was referring to some of my OTHER brethren.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:24 AM   #9618
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
Boxcar reading Darwin would be a greater upset than Arcangues, but having done so, he would benefit from following up with James A. Shapiro...

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Vie.../dp/0133435539

...in terms of non-goal direction vs. teleology, random mutation vs. cell self-repair, and gradual vs. spontaneous change.

The poor man's version...

http://shapiro.bsd.uchicago.edu/Shap...Evolution.html
Shapiro, although apperring to accept intelligent design, does not.

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/James_A._Shapiro

"Natural genetic engineering (NGE) is a process described by Shapiro to account for novelty created in the process of biological evolution, there has been a large controversy over this process as intelligent design advocates have misunderstood the process and spammed the idea onto hundreds of websites and forums claiming it has refuted evolution. Despite the quote mining and misrepresentation of the ID advocates Shapiro does not reject evolution, is not an intelligent design advocate and has openly criticised and rejected intelligent design. "
Old 02-13-2019, 06:01 AM   #9619
hcap

So both you and boxcar should stay 1 million milers away from bogus attempts to discard Darwin.

Did you ever consider that in a sense a "deity" or cosmic principle may act over billions of years directing inanimate matter to organize through randomness within limits, or that random variables can appear random , but the random process do not appear to follow a deterministic pattern, WHICH only appears random to us, but follow an evolution described by probability distributions. That the universe is intrinsically arranged so probability itself can spontaneously organize life. Randomness can not do anything. The laws of nature limit available directions.

Maybe "God" set up those laws or directions?

Maybe spontaneous over billions of year time spans take on "directed evolution"

or.

"We are a way for the universe to know itself".--Carl Sagan.

Last edited by hcap; 02-13-2019 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #9620
hcap

The difficulty of describing the cosmos precisely, once again divides us. When I mention pantheism or Buddhism or the Hindu extremity vast time cycles, it seems at least two of you will duck into your Abrahamic surety safety blanket. Centuries of older western popular religious culture and thought, other than the mystical tradition, I think does not easily fit into modern scientific thought or connect with esoteric eastern traditions

"Ineffable" is used in language when words don't work that well.

The Buddhist Tathata, which means "suchness" or "thusness," is a word uesd to mean "reality," or the way things really are. It's understood that the true nature of reality is ineffable, beyond description and conceptualization.
Einstein stated that he believed in the pantheistic God of Baruch Spinoza. He did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve.

Einstein stated, "My views are near those of Spinoza: admiration for the beauty of and belief in the logical simplicity of the order which we can grasp humbly and only imperfectly."

Maybe his mathematical formulations were closer to describing things more precisely. Maybe the many mystical writers throughout the Judaeo-Christian and Islamic belief systems also came closer?
Old 02-13-2019, 04:53 PM   #9621
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Why not?
The read the pertinent passages in their context.
Old 02-13-2019, 04:55 PM   #9622
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
Read Darwin with an honest intent to understand.
I don't have to. Evolution (part and parcel of atheistic materialism) is a logically incoherent worldview.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:00 PM   #9623
boxcar

Quote:
Boxcar reading Darwin would be a greater upset than Arcangues, but having done so, he would benefit from following up with James A. Shapiro...

https://www.amazon.com/Evolution-Vie.../dp/0133435539

...in terms of non-goal direction vs. teleology, random mutation vs. cell self-repair, and gradual vs. spontaneous change.

The poor man's version...

http://shapiro.bsd.uchicago.edu/Shap...Evolution.html
Methinks the Shapiros of the world should spend more time with their noses in the bible. They might actually learn what biblical faith is.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:06 PM   #9624
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post

"Natural genetic engineering (NGE) is a process described by Shapiro to account for novelty created in the process of biological evolution, there has been a large controversy over this process as intelligent design advocates have misunderstood the process and spammed the idea onto hundreds of websites and forums claiming it has refuted evolution. Despite the quote mining and misrepresentation of the ID advocates Shapiro does not reject evolution, is not an intelligent design advocate and has openly criticised and rejected intelligent design. "
Well, well, well...whaddya know. A "true blue" Christian "believer" who believes in atheistic materialism? Why am I not surprised? Oh yeah...now I remember: The biblical principle that one cannot love God and mammon all at once and simultaneously is at work in this guy's life.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:09 PM   #9625
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
"Insisted", you say? Is he a "cult leader"?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:21 PM   #9626
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post

I'm totally aware of that, which is why I stated that the interesting aspect of Shapiro's research vis-a-vis Darwin lies in the possibility of intentionality in nature, based upon a cell's inherent power to read/write it's own cell repair (active vs. passive random mutation).

Also, the classical theists I read look upon intelligent design negatively.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:37 PM   #9627
dnlgfnk

"So both you and boxcar should stay 1 million milers away from bogus attempts to discard Darwin."

Why do you insist on identifying me with Boxcar? Are you subconsciously directing at him? Should Shapiro stay 1 million miles away? All I did was cite his challenge to Darwin.

Of course I consider orthodox Darwinism up until, for my own belief derived through experiencing the world, the infusion of the soul.

I hold Sagan in a little less esteem than others...

https://kiwihellenist.blogspot.com/2...tosthenes.html
Old 02-13-2019, 10:43 PM   #9628
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Methinks the Shapiros of the world should spend more time with their noses in the bible. They might actually learn what biblical faith is.
We already hashed this out. To briefly recap from my perspective;

Shaping already created matter, be it clay or hominid, is not creation. Creation is causing existence from nothing.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:55 PM   #9629
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
I don't have to.
Special Pleading! Double Standard!

Quote:
Evolution (part and parcel of atheistic materialism) is a logically incoherent worldview.
Prove it.
Old 02-14-2019, 01:01 AM   #9630
hcap

Quote:
I'm totally aware of that, which is why I stated that the interesting aspect of Shapiro's research vis-a-vis Darwin lies in the possibility of intentionality in nature, based upon a cell's inherent power to read/write it's own cell repair (active vs. passive random mutation).

Also, the classical theists I read look upon intelligent design negatively.
Ok, please explain "intentionality in nature". Then, "a cell's inherent power to read/write it's own cell repair"

Who is active and who or what is passive?

In your own words please.