Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #7666
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
See Gen 3:15; Jn 8:44; 1Jn 3:12.
?

No devil's blood here.

Genesis 3:15 New International Version (NIV)

And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

Try instead.....

Old 08-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #7667
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Could it be that jehovah/ Yahweh is just a regurgitation of the Canaanite god “El”....? Do you really know whose god you are worshipping....?
Old 08-13-2018, 06:33 PM   #7668
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Here is a very interesting short video on the sources and progression of Judaism...have a look...
Old 08-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #7669
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
?

No devil's blood here.

Genesis 3:15 New International Version (NIV)

And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

Try instead.....

Ty instead to read. I said "brood", not blood. Did you take me literally and think I meant physical brood? I thought you didn't do literal.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:56 PM   #7670
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VigorsTheGrey View Post
Seems like Yahweh killing his own son has a Roman counterpart...https://www.ancient.eu/image/4130/
Yahweh didn't kill his son. The Jews and Romans did -- in that order, by the way.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:59 PM   #7671
boxcar

Quote:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ADikz5rAjJU

Could it be that jehovah/ Yahweh is just a regurgitation of the Canaanite god “El”....? Do you really know whose god you are worshipping....?
El was very likely one of the lesser elohims who who was in attendance whenever Yahweh called his council together to implement his plans.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:00 PM   #7672
boxcar

Quote:
Here is a very interesting short video on the sources and progression of Judaism...have a look...https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZECezMYug8c
Thanks. Been down that road before. After the Fall, mankind became polytheistic turning to demon worship of lesser elohims.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #7673
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Thanks. Been down that road before. After the Fall, mankind became polytheistic turning to demon worship of lesser elohims.
It should come as no surprise that Judaism has its antecedents and that it developed along the way.

All religions are the product of human achievement, whatever the targets of their worship and adoration or practice.

They did not spring fully developed, nor were they just given ready made from some outside source.

They were not “revealed” to us by omniscient deity in a complete package...the various oral and written sources underwent revision and redaction through the ages.

The deity espoused by the Israelites is by no means unique nor original but simply a syncretism of existing historical mythological narratives or historical embellishments relating to various leaders, Kings, rulers or other hero’s, and most likely a combination of the two...

The Israelites drew on many cultures in fabricating their narratives...they are not special or unique in this respect...the claim that “they” “gave” the world monotheism, IMO, is absurd...

Last edited by VigorsTheGrey; 08-13-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:33 PM   #7674
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Yeah...all back-fitted into the theory to make it work.
You have no concept of what back-fit means. Back fitting means you start with the conclusion you want and then ignore any evidence to the contrary.

Science does not back-fit. Absolutely nothing in science is sacred. If evidence shows that a theory is wrong then it will be discarded. For example the aether theory which was accepted during the 19th century is now no longer accepted. Ditto the static universe theory which was replaced by the big bang model, the geocentric model of the solar system which was replaced by the heliocentric theory. And of course the germ theory of disease replace the miasma theory.

Then there's this. There are thousands of religions in this world, all claiming to be the one true religion. But there is only one science. Even if a society started from scratch they would still come up with the same science we have today.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:03 AM   #7675
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post
You have no concept of what back-fit means. Back fitting means you start with the conclusion you want and then ignore any evidence to the contrary.

Science does not back-fit. Absolutely nothing in science is sacred. If evidence shows that a theory is wrong then it will be discarded. For example the aether theory which was accepted during the 19th century is now no longer accepted. Ditto the static universe theory which was replaced by the big bang model, the geocentric model of the solar system which was replaced by the heliocentric theory. And of course the germ theory of disease replace the miasma theory.

Then there's this. There are thousands of religions in this world, all claiming to be the one true religion. But there is only one science. Even if a society started from scratch they would still come up with the same science we have today.
No, they don’t ALL claim to be the one true religion...but by definition, the MONOTHEISTS make the claim that there is ONLY ONE TRUE GOD, and all else is angels, demons, man, animals, stars, etc...

...and to worship anything but the ONE TRUE GOD is basically, idolatry, a grave sin, and, bingo, you are now a SINNER, with all its negative connotations...

This I think, is a Great Pretense...that somehow, everybody else’s gods are false but THEIRS...

Another Great Pretense is that THEY are “in contact”, as in personal contact...with this great creator deity, that self-same deity that MADE the earth and everything on it...

...MADE the stars too, and MADE the entire Universes, trillions of galaxies strong...

...and still, THEY are in communication and have covenants with this being, on a personal level, AND want YOU to be so too...!

Ok...and wow...! Really...?

Another Great Pretense is that they believe that they are now going to live FOREVER and never die, or at least go to heaven after they do, die...and they want YOU to be there with them,
and so,
their HEART GOES OUT TO YOU...and they are so desperate to share with you, THE GOOD NEWS...that you don’t have to live your petty little human life anymore...but that you, even YOU....can be cleansed of all YOUR SIN...and be RIGHTEOUS, clean again, and forever...REALLY....?

Trouble is, I just can’t accept that they fall for this stuff, Actor...it boggles my mind just thinking about how ridiculous all this is...

It, it...drives me crazy, and I just have to walk away, scratching my head,...i’m Sure you understand...
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 AM   #7676
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Way to ease back into things....
Old 08-14-2018, 12:30 AM   #7677
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Way to ease back into things....
Sorry Mike, just a couple of years of frustration not being able to post for so long...I WILL COOL MY JETS now...and take it up with my therapist...thank you for letting me back on...i don’t want to get to the place I was before and disappoint both of us...thanks again...I’ll tone it down....
Old 08-14-2018, 01:00 AM   #7678
dnlgfnk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post

"Back fitting means you start with the conclusion you want [emphasis mine] and then ignore any evidence to the contrary...Science does not back-fit."

Back fitting in science, according to your definition = "Science alone can give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".

Atheistic Philosophers of science..."Science alone can give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".

Theistic philosophers of religion..."Science alone cannot give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".

The "hard problem of consciousness" or the varied interpretations of quantum mechanics, anyone?
Old 08-14-2018, 01:27 AM   #7679
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnlgfnk View Post
"Back fitting means you start with the conclusion you want [emphasis mine] and then ignore any evidence to the contrary...Science does not back-fit."

Back fitting in science, according to your definition = "Science alone can give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".
That's my belief, and I've given it a lot of thought.

Quote:
Atheistic Philosophers of science..."Science alone can give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".
Also my belief.

Quote:
Theistic philosophers of religion..."Science alone cannot give us complete and reliable knowledge of reality".
Science alone gives us the most complete, most reliable knowledge of reality. Nothing else works as well as science. In fact, nothing else works, period. Science alone took us to the moon, cured smallpox, gave us the transistor and the computer, gave us the automobile, gave us blood transfusions and organ transplants, extended the life span of billions to nearly a century, gave us refrigeration and air conditioning, etc., etc., etc. I could etc. all day long.

Quote:
The "hard problem of consciousness" or the varied interpretations of quantum mechanics, anyone?
I'm your man.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:34 AM   #7680
HalvOnHorseracing

Quote:
What Light doesn't know is that in Noah's day the earth was so filled with violence that parents could have been eating their kids for lunch, and yet his panties are all in a wad over the separation of kids from adults for the kids' own protection and safety.
Of course. Muchacho con arroz is one of Central America's favorite dishes.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: