Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 04:30 PM   #6796
hcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Asaro View Post
It is better to keep politics out of the religious thread, and conversely religion should definitely be kept out of politics
Old 06-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #6797
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
It is better to keep politics out of the religious thread, and conversely religion should definitely be kept out of politics
Except when politicians use religion to further their agenda or a particular partisan narrative, right? Then it's okay to bring religion into a political thread, no?
Old 06-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #6798
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show Me the Wire View Post
Good. In general nothing above is in conflict with Christianity. In Christianity you have to reject the "false promises" i.e. the illusions of the world and the nature of your own mind, i.e, pride of life, as well as, living according to a set of standards.
It depends on whose version of Christianity you are referring to. In Boxcar's view, man is inherently "evil", and can do nothing by his own power to improve himself. When Boxcar hears of man "working on himself"...he mocks the effort as trivial self-improvement, instead of inner transformation.

Here is the main difference between East and West...IMO:

In the West...man is asked to take the Christian doctrine on "faith", because, as it says in your signature..."to doubt is to insult the divine". But in the East...man is asked to doubt EVERYTHING, even if it came directly out of the mouth of the Buddha himself. "Look into yourself, and see if things are really as I say...and if things AREN'T as I say by your own experience, then ignore me"...the Buddha said. In the East...man isn't "working on himself" in order to become a "better man". He is working on himself in order to peak behind the illusory nature of his own mind...so he can get a glimpse of his divine nature, which lies beyond.
Old 06-18-2018, 07:27 PM   #6799
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
IMO...there is no "validity" in ANY religion. The "validity" is lost the minute the original doctrines become organized, packaged and sold...for public consumption. Then religion becomes a "business"...and it loses all connection to its founder, and his "authenticity". And this applies to ALL the religions that I have encountered. That's why I endeavor to stay as close as I can to the founders' original teachings...while ignoring the dogma that invariably gets attached to them during the "commercialization" process.
You are definitely on to something here. An analogy I utilize is similar to Cap's Map vs actual territory. It goes something like this......The religion or teaching of the "Master" is akin to nutritious wholesome spiritual food.As time goes by this teaching is transformed into a tool of the state and or institution.It soon becomes devoid of all "nutritional" content.And abracadabra "true believers" are committing vile crimes against humanity in the name of "God"

Last edited by Hank; 06-18-2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #6800
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
It depends on whose version of Christianity you are referring to. In Boxcar's view, man is inherently "evil", and can do nothing by his own power to improve himself. When Boxcar hears of man "working on himself"...he mocks the effort as trivial self-improvement, instead of inner transformation.

Here is the main difference between East and West...IMO:

In the West...man is asked to take the Christian doctrine on "faith", because, as it says in your signature..."to doubt is to insult the divine". But in the East...man is asked to doubt EVERYTHING, even if it came directly out of the mouth of the Buddha himself. "Look into yourself, and see if things are really as I say...and if things AREN'T as I say by your own experience, then ignore me"...the Buddha said. In the East...man isn't "working on himself" in order to become a "better man". He is working on himself in order to peak behind the illusory nature of his own mind...so he can get a glimpse of his divine nature, which lies beyond.
Man can reform ("improve") himself, but he cannot transform himself since his fundamental problem is his nature, which he cannot change.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:03 PM   #6801
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
You are definitely on to something here. An analogy I utilize is similar to Cap's Map vs actual territory. It goes something like this......The religion or teaching of the "Master" is akin to nutritious wholesome spiritual food.As time goes by this teaching is transformed into a tool of the state and or institution.It soon becomes devoid of all "nutritional" content.And abracadabra "true believers" are committing vile crimes against humanity in the name of "God"
Thask made a great case for sticking with the teachings of the bible. This is why the bible is my only authoritative source and rule for Faith and Practice.
Old 06-18-2018, 09:18 PM   #6802
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Quote:
Thask made a great case for sticking with the teachings of the bible.
This is why the bible is my only authoritative source and rule for Faith and Practice.
No he didn't. He made a case for adhering to the teachings of the "Master". Jesus's words comprise less than 1% of the bible's content.
Old 06-19-2018, 09:54 AM   #6803
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
No he didn't. He made a case for adhering to the teachings of the "Master". Jesus's words comprise less than 1% of the bible's content.
No, Jesus is the LOGOS (Jn 1:1) -- He is the Living Word because the Spirit of Christ inspired the prophets and apostles to write his words.

1 Peter 1:10-11
10 As to this salvation, the prophets who prophesied of the grace that would come to you made careful search and inquiry, 11 seeking to know what person or time the Spirit of Christ within them was indicating as He predicted the sufferings of Christ and the glories to follow.
NASB

Jesus is called the Logos (Word) because the entire bible is His word. Also, I made the case in 6653 addressed to Light that Jesus held the entire OT in the highest possible esteem. Makes sense since that is his inspired word, too.

But I bet you're thinking that the 23 books of the NT that are not the Gospels -- those books, too, should go on the same junk pile with the OT, right? But here is what the "Master" said about future revelation -- revelation that he would give to his apostles after he ascended to his Father:

John 16:12-16
12 "I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now. 13 "But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come. 14 "He shall glorify Me; for He shall take of Mine, and shall disclose it to you. 15 "All things that the Father has are Mine; therefore I said, that He takes of Mine, and will disclose it to you.
NASB

You need to add a couple of 00 to that 1%.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:09 AM   #6804
hcap

Double posting sometimes happens thru' unforeseen computer glitches. But it really is not an excuse for your incessant double talking, or your ability to hold many Double Standards.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:13 AM   #6805
boxcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcap View Post
Double posting sometimes happens thru' unforeseen computer glitches. But it really is not an excuse for your incessant double talking, or your ability to hold many Double Standards.
And this coming Mr. Forked Tongue himself.

You make the charges, can you prove them? Double talking? Double Standards? Really?
Old 06-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #6806
Actor
Librocubicularist

Separation of church and state

https://centerforinquiry.org/press_r...groups-to-n-c/
Old 06-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #6807
Actor
Librocubicularist

Answers to a few questions that have been asked on this thread.

"Why do you believe in evolution?"
  • Why Evolution is True by Jerry A. Coyne
  • The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins
  • Origins by Neil deGrasse Tyson

"How did life begin?"
  • Genesis by Robert M. Hazen
  • The Machinery of Lifeby David S. Goodsell
  • Atomic Evidence: Seeing the Molecular Basis of Life by David S. Goodsell
  • The Origins of Order by Stuart A. Kauffman

"Did Jesus exist?"
  • Did Jesus Exist by G.A. Wells
  • Not the Impossible Faith by Richard Carrier
  • On the Historicity of Jesus by Richard Carrier
  • The Jesus Puzzle by Earl Doherty
  • Challenging the Verdict by Earl Doherty
  • Jesus Never Existed by Kenneth Humphreys
  • The Case Against the Case for Christ by Robert Price
  • The Christ Myth Theory and Its Problems by Robert Price

"Religion vs. science?"
  • Faith vs. Fact by Jerry A. Coyne. This one has a subchapter on "The Scientism Canard."

"Logic?"
  • The Mathematical Analysis of Logic by George Boole
  • An Investigation of the Laws of Thought by George Boole
  • A Mathematical Introduction to Logic by Herbert B. Enderton

At the top of each list is the work which, in my opinion, is most important. The others are by author's name with no particular order beyond that.

All are available from Amazon.com.

Last edited by Actor; 06-25-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 04:27 PM   #6808
boxcar

RELIGIOUS FREEDOM WIN: SCOTUS Invalidates Ruling Against Christian Florist

https://www.dailywire.com/news/32255...g-hank-berrien

First the baker, now the florist. Very Kool.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:22 PM   #6809
boxcar

Pro-life groups get WIN against California abortion law!

http://therightscoop.com/pro-life-gr...-abortion-law/

Another win for Freedom -- freedom from being coerced by government.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 PM   #6810
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcar View Post
Jesus has fulfilled all the OT (i.e. Law and Prophets), save for the eschatological aspects of his salvation.
Actually, he hasn't. Don't worry though...I'm sure it's not important.