Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 04-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #361
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
That will be my cross to bear I suppose if it comes to that.

Now then...how about we actually get back to talking about horse racing...that is, if anybody is still interested.
That sounds GREAT to me.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #362
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
The lack of understanding or respect for what the initials PM must be a virus pervading all moderators at PA.

Did you actually just post a PRIVATE MESSAGE you received from a client?

It's exactly that issue which caused PA's and my biggest war.

I cannot believe you guys continue to refer to PRIVATE MESSAGES for all to see.

Why even have a PM option if it means nothing?

Unbelieveable
Yeah, as if nobody has ever shared other people's PMs with others on the board. If someone is going to belittle or harass me privately, they should have the common decency to do it publicly.

The PM system is great if you are going to be civil. If you are not, all bets are off. Funny you respond to me posting the PMs, but not to Murphy acting like a child in them.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 01:28 PM   #363
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Yeah, as if nobody has ever shared other people's PMs with others on the board. If someone is going to belittle or harass me privately, they should have the common decency to do it publicly.

The PM system is great if you are going to be civil. If you are not, all bets are off. Funny you respond to me posting the PMs, but not to Murphy acting like a child in them.
You are a moderator. And as such expected to be held to a higher standard.

You justify betraying the very essence of the initials PM because the rank and file posters also have done that?

You can't possibly really mean that?

The PM system is great because of what it implies.

You're saying that only counts if you like what the PM says.

You have to be joking.

C'mon tell me it's April fools and you just punked me.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:48 PM   #364
Dahoss9698
Veteran

Quote:

You justify betraying the very essence of the initials PM because the rank and file posters also have done that?

You have to be joking.

You're punking us all with this routine. You expect moderators of a message board to be held to a higher standard.....yet as someone in the industry you don't feel as though you should be held to a higher standard here or on twitter.

You can't make this stuff up.
Dahoss9698 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 01:50 PM   #365
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:

You have to be joking.

So I guess you don't want to get back to talking horses.

Our position is pretty clear. PMs remain private. No moderators here are posting private messages with any sort of regularity. It's actually a once in a decade occurrence (per moderator), if that much. Hell, I didn't even post the full contents of our PM we had months ago...I posted ONE LINE and you jumped off the deep end...and that one line was you COMPLIMENTING me and this website...

So, just let it go. The drama is all too much.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-25-2017 at 01:51 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #366
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
So I guess you don't want to get back to talking horses.

Our position is pretty clear. PMs remain private. No moderators here are posting private messages with any sort of regularity. It's actually a once in a decade occurrence (per moderator), if that much. Hell, I didn't even post the full contents of our PM we had months ago...I posted ONE LINE and you jumped off the deep end...and that one line was you COMPLIMENTING me and this website...

So, just let it go. The drama is all too much.
I do want to get back to talking horses. I really do.

My posts henceforth will reflect that.

Promise
Old 04-25-2017, 02:30 PM   #367
SoCalCircuit

Quote:
I do want to get back to talking horses. I really do.

My posts henceforth will reflect that.

Promise
Speaking of henceforth, what happened to hence in the Southwest?
SoCalCircuit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #368
Si2see

Vic,

Welcome back. I too posted that it sounded like your calls were being influenced by your pick/s in that race at times. If this was not the case I apologize.

Also I wanted to post in regards to the nhc winner comment from earlier. You know it is funny I have played in more than a few of the same live tournaments with that person and or group ( because I can tell you first hand they are group picks ) however I can tell you one thing I learned at the World Series sitting directly beside them.... winning a big tournament like obviously good for the bankroll, but it is also a huge advantage in confidence. That group came in to the World Series fresh off the nhc win like I have never seen them before, for three days straight people coming up to the table congratulating at times, sharing picks at other times .

Speaking for myself the best I have ever finished is 5th place at Sam's town last year, and looking back I can now realize how good it felt being within striking distance for first place with one play left, and how much confidence it gave me for the next two live tournaments for the year , I walked into the room feeling like I was the person to beat.

Although you seem to be a tremendous handicapper , I think this above story describes your tournament play. It seems like with each time you qualify or wins tournament you keep the momentum. I can only imagine what it felt like being alive for the big money going into the last race of the bcbc, if you have the time please post about that experience.

Best of luck for the rest of the year,
Jason
Si2see is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 03:25 PM   #369
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si2see View Post
Vic,

Welcome back. I too posted that it sounded like your calls were being influenced by your pick/s in that race at times. If this was not the case I apologize.

Also I wanted to post in regards to the nhc winner comment from earlier. You know it is funny I have played in more than a few of the same live tournaments with that person and or group ( because I can tell you first hand they are group picks ) however I can tell you one thing I learned at the World Series sitting directly beside them.... winning a big tournament like obviously good for the bankroll, but it is also a huge advantage in confidence. That group came in to the World Series fresh off the nhc win like I have never seen them before, for three days straight people coming up to the table congratulating at times, sharing picks at other times .

Speaking for myself the best I have ever finished is 5th place at Sam's town last year, and looking back I can now realize how good it felt being within striking distance for first place with one play left, and how much confidence it gave me for the next two live tournaments for the year , I walked into the room feeling like I was the person to beat.

Although you seem to be a tremendous handicapper , I think this above story describes your tournament play. It seems like with each time you qualify or wins tournament you keep the momentum. I can only imagine what it felt like being alive for the big money going into the last race of the bcbc, if you have the time please post about that experience.

Best of luck for the rest of the year,
Jason
Jason

No apology needed. Fans love to speculate they know who the announcer bet. Nothing wrong with that. Although I expect they're almost always wrong.

Truth be told I wager a fraction of my normal amounts while calling the races. I bet less than 10 Oaklawn races during our entire meet. And about half of them the public already knew who I was playing as a result of the pre-race show I do with Nancy Holthus.

I couldn't agree more that confidence and past success play a major role in major tournament results. Another thing I strongly believe is simply knowing "how to play" tournaments properly is extremely important.

In 2014 when I started playing the biggest tourneys, I think I was just as good a handicapper then as I am now. What I lacked was experience in how to translate that into wins or high finishes. Be it mythical $2.00 WP or live money knowing how to "play" is as or perhaps even more important than sorting out live runners at overlayed prices.

That experience IMO can only come from rolling up your sleeves and playing. Good thing is you don't have to play tournaments with multi thousand dollar entry fees. The philosophy's and concepts are pretty much the same at much lower levels be it online or at brick and mortar sights.

Bottom line the more you play the better you'll get.

I strongly suggest you take advantage of the willingness of elite players to share their expertise. Peter Fornatale's column on DRF and well as Eric Wing's blogs can be a huge resource. There are many top players who are more than happy to share advice to players who wish to make the climb. Jonathan Kinchen, Barbara Bowley, Anthony Trezza, Brent Sumja and many other are really great about being accessible and candid.

As for last year's BCBC ride. Wow what a rush. Ironically had I not been alive for the $1 million bonus I probably would have made ALOT and I mean ALOT more money. But no regrets. I effectively was getting 20-1 on California Chrome. I said to myself if I can't go "all in" there I'm never going to do it. So I manned up and took my swing. Well Mr. Arrogate had something to say about that and I fell from 2nd to 14th which was roughly a $200,000 difference. Would I do the same thing again? Hell yes!!

Hopefully I'll be in that position again as I'm alive for the Million this year too after winning a Tourney at Del Mar last fall.

Here's a side note I've rarely told. If not for my wife I would have lost the entire 50k on Chrome. I totally hated Arrogate in the Classic. Hated! Didn't think he'd hit the board. At about 5 minutes to post, just before I put my bet in. My wife Tina said "are you really willing to finish with zero if Arrogate wins?" " I know you don't like him. But he is 8/5 in the Breeder's Cup Classic and trained by Bob Baffert and ridden by Mike Smith"

That brought me enough back to my senses that I ended up with a saver $500 trifecta with Arrogate on top. It payed $74.00 and I finished the tournament in 14th place with $37.000.

Did I marry well or what? Thanks honey!

Stay the course Jason. I expect you'll do well.

See ya in the tournament trenches!

VJS

Last edited by v j stauffer; 04-25-2017 at 03:27 PM.
v j stauffer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #370
menifee

Vic,

I've played quite a bit against you in the tournament game online. Especially, the Derby Wars Friday game. I really respect you as a handicapper. I've beaten you a few times, but you've beaten me plenty. Good to see your back on this board as your handicapping insights are welcome.

Please ignore the negativity - it is pointless to respond.
menifee is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 03:35 PM   #371
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by menifee View Post
Vic,

I've played quite a bit against you in the tournament game online. Especially, the Derby Wars Friday game. I really respect you as a handicapper. I've beaten you a few times, but you've beaten me plenty. Good to see your back on this board as your handicapping insights are welcome.

Please ignore the negativity - it is pointless to respond.
Those Friday games are the best of the best.

Hanging in those wars is a testament to you being an excellent player.

Looking forward to future battles.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:37 PM   #372
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post

The divulging of a pm seems wrong, but you're a fair and reasonable man. And have earned benefit of doubt from me. Case closed.

I think it's time we all took this a lot less seriously.

Last edited by mountainman; 04-25-2017 at 03:39 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 04:02 PM   #373
whodoyoulike
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenoa View Post
QUOTE=ReplayRandall;2157955]For some reason, I don't think this comment will go over too well.....

Vic provides more drama and entertainment on here then on the boob tube!!!
I don't think the drama is of his making but instead from others.

Entertaining? Yes. But, also he's been very informative.

How many on here will take unwarranted crap?

I don't and won't, especially when some ($*#!) wants to make it personal.
whodoyoulike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 04:08 PM   #374
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by whodoyoulike View Post
I don't and won't, especially when some ($*#!) wants to make it personal.
How exactly can things get "personal" when most everybody here is using fake names?

I hope everyone realizes how ridiculous this all is. Getting all worked up over a horse racing message board. How about talking horses instead?

Everyone needs top review exactly what they are getting all worked up about.

What are you getting worked up about whodoyoulike? Maybe I can help you out here and talk you down.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 04-25-2017 at 04:10 PM.
PaceAdvantage is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #375
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
The divulging of a pm seems wrong, but you're a fair and reasonable man. And have earned benefit of doubt from me. Case closed.

I think it's time we all took this a lot less seriously.
If I had it to do over again, I wouldn't do it. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I tried to mend fences I didn't even know were broken and that got me nowhere. I let that bug me more than I should have...live and learn.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply