Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
nforsor

need help here to replace missisng software

About a year ago, I bought a software called Focus 2000 developed by ADPA a company I believe is owned by a Mr. Cole. Unfortunately, my laptop was stolen and thereby lost the software I was just starting to get used to. I have tried everything possible to contact Mr. Cole through ADPA with no success. Because I had used the software through Trackmaster, I contacted them to see if they have any idea as to what happened to Mr. Cole. The reasoning is that nobody knows. I am launching an appeal thru the auspices of this website to see if there is any one who can help me secure a copy of the software. I will be extremely grateful. Thanks NFORSOR
nforsor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 12:06 AM   #2
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforsor
About a year ago, I bought a software called Focus 2000 developed by ADPA a company I believe is owned by a Mr. Cole. Unfortunately, my laptop was stolen and thereby lost the software I was just starting to get used to. I have tried everything possible to contact Mr. Cole through ADPA with no success. Because I had used the software through Trackmaster, I contacted them to see if they have any idea as to what happened to Mr. Cole. The reasoning is that nobody knows. I am launching an appeal thru the auspices of this website to see if there is any one who can help me secure a copy of the software. I will be extremely grateful. Thanks NFORSOR
I have the program myself and went through a computer crash over a year ago. When I loaded the program on the new hard drive, I had to get a new authorization. That was not a real problem at that time. More recently, when I went to their web site, there seemed to be some kind of virus had taken over their site. I was able to move around their site and even downloaded the Harness version demo. Today, when I went back to their site, every thing was BLANK. Don't know what is up with that. Sorry, wish I could be more helpful.
dartman51 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
lsosa54

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ght=focus+2000
lsosa54 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #4
nforsor

Missing Focus 2000 by ADPA

Lucky you it's still in your hard drive. May be one day you can retrieve it thru your own personal effort or that of a computer wiz. Because of the way I handicap, I have come to find focus a very useful tool. Thanks for the concern, anyway. Good luck
nforsor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
JCB
Journeyman

Looks like some kids have used an exploit to add links to gogo2me and a Russian site (kiddie hacker sites) to the front page.

You can still get there by http://www.adpa.com/focus.htm

Am wary of anybody saying their program beats flats, harness, and dogs. More wary when the last copyright update was 2005. Don't like the fact that the program has come down from $595 to $77 and has been on a 30 day sale for the past year. Wondering why the program is still named the same year as a decade ago. System requirements are from the Windows 98 era. Good luck with it.
JCB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #6
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB
Looks like some kids have used an exploit to add links to gogo2me and a Russian site (kiddie hacker sites) to the front page.

You can still get there by http://www.adpa.com/focus.htm

Am wary of anybody saying their program beats flats, harness, and dogs. More wary when the last copyright update was 2005. Don't like the fact that the program has come down from $595 to $77 and has been on a 30 day sale for the past year. Wondering why the program is still named the same year as a decade ago. System requirements are from the Windows 98 era. Good luck with it.

The drop in price could be partially due to the fact their copyright ends this year.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dartman51
The drop in price could be partially due to the fact their copyright ends this year.
A copyright lasts for the duration of the lifetime of the author plus 70 years.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:57 PM   #8
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
A copyright lasts for the duration of the lifetime of the author plus 70 years.
I'm looking at the program now: Copyright (c) 1993-2009 ADPA Systems. All Rights Reserved.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I'm looking at the program now: Copyright (c) 1993-2009 ADPA Systems. All Rights Reserved.
That doesn't have anything to do with the duration of copyright. Just about everything you write is implicitly copyrighted whether you label it as such or not (even e-mails!)

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Last edited by BillW; 03-15-2009 at 01:02 PM.
BillW is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 03-15-2009, 01:03 PM   #10
dartman51

I looked it up Bill, and you are right. I just don't understand the expiration date (year) of 2009.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #11
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I looked it up Bill, and you are right. I just don't understand the expiration date (year) of 2009.
Typically the confusion comes in with patents vs. copyrights. Patents have a more finite lifetime and do regularly expire. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer (BTW i am NOT a Lawyer) as things like copyright law would make my teeth itch.
Old 03-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #12
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
Typically the confusion comes in with patents vs. copyrights. Patents have a more finite lifetime and do regularly expire. I'm glad I'm not a lawyer (BTW i am NOT a Lawyer) as things like copyright law would make my teeth itch.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm easily confused.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #13
JCB
Journeyman

Quote:
That means that the things on the website are copyrighted from 1993, the first date that anything was put online (and maybe on a dialup bulletin board back in 1993) to the present (or whatever year is the last that it was updated).
Old 03-15-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
dartman51

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB
That means that the things on the website are copyrighted from 1993, the first date that anything was put online (and maybe on a dialup bulletin board back in 1993) to the present (or whatever year is the last that it was updated).
The PROGRAM, NOT the website. But, Bill already explained that too.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #15
JCB
Journeyman

Quote:
The PROGRAM, NOT the website. But, Bill already explained that too.
Then it means that versions or elements of the program have been copyrighted beginning in 1993 and ending this year.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: