Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

View Poll Results: Which of these best describes you as a player on horse retirement?
I would support a 1/10% takeout increase to help horses 16 18.82%
I would support a small data charge/parking/admission to help horses 7 8.24%
I would support both the above 12 14.12%
I don't care about the issue, the industry should fix it itself 3 3.53%
I care about the issue, but the industry should fix it itself 47 55.29%
Voters: 85. This poll is closed

Old 01-17-2011, 03:12 PM   #16
joanied

Location: Wyoming, near Yellowstone Park...born/raised in Brooklyn,NY
Well, glad I came back to read through this thread...can I change my vote

I had a knee jerk reaction to the poll, I really should have thought it over before I voted, because everyone is making some damned good points.

One good idea is the one about every track using one race (maybe not even on a daily basis, but once a week) where total takeout is used for retired horse facilities.

You guys are right, though...if the top two poll choices are implemented, just where would the money go...we'd have no clue...they can say anything they want, don't make it true.
Needless to say, the final responsibility falls with the owner...and maybe a fee at foaling time is a good idea...it would sure stop breeders of questionable foals (those cheap bred horses) from bringing more into this world.

A central office for all this is needed...this way everyone would be certain the monies are actually going to the horses, and not, as someone mentioned, into he pockets of people that claim there are 'administrator expenses'...and I'd bet if they set up something like that, they could have it manned by volunteers...there are a lot of folks that would volunteer time for this cause...

I also question the horse numbers going to slaughter, as brought up by another poster...I doubt that number are all TB's...at least, I hope not.

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us"
Gandalf the Grey
joanied is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #17
thaskalos

Sickening!

The thought that even ONE of these majestic animals has to meet it's demise in a slaughterhouse is sickening to me. This industry handles billions of dollars a year in wagers...and yet there is no money at all to finally put an end to this heinous practice?

How does our industry live down the fact that horses like EXCELLER, the only horse to ever beat 2 Triple Crown winners, and FERDINAND, the 1986 Kentucky Derby winner...end up getting killed in slaughterhouses?

What happens to all those millions of dollars of horseplayer winnings that go unclaimed every year...does anybody know where all that money ends up?

This general apathy - which feeds this abominable practice - should not be allowed to go on any longer.

These regal animals deserve more than that.

Last edited by thaskalos; 01-17-2011 at 04:10 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 05:09 PM   #18
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
The thought that even ONE of these majestic animals has to meet it's demise in a slaughterhouse is sickening to me. This industry handles billions of dollars a year in wagers...and yet there is no money at all to finally put an end to this heinous practice?

How does our industry live down the fact that horses like EXCELLER, the only horse to ever beat 2 Triple Crown winners, and FERDINAND, the 1986 Kentucky Derby winner...end up getting killed in slaughterhouses?

What happens to all those millions of dollars of horseplayer winnings that go unclaimed every year...does anybody know where all that money ends up?

This general apathy - which feeds this abominable practice - should not be allowed to go on any longer.

These regal animals deserve more than that.
Now that's a good question, one I think we'd all like to know the answer to...where does all that money go?

By the way, since you mentioned Ferdinand...on Jan. 30th the HRTV show 'Inside Information" will have a show about him...it'll be a tear jerker, but a good show to watch, especially if it's as good as the one they had about Swale.

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
DeanT

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanied
Now that's a good question, one I think we'd all like to know the answer to...where does all that money go?
From my research and working on that issue for HANA, I can say it goes mostly to general revenues, but in one or two jurisdictions it goes to backstretch improvements. I think in CA some of it goes to jockey insurance, but dont quote me on that.

It does not go back to horseplayers or the horses for retirement.

We thought we had a deal in Ontario for it to go back to players, but when the vote came up, the tracks and horseman groups voted to continue to keep it for themselves.

Last edited by DeanT; 01-17-2011 at 05:15 PM.
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #20
joanied

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanT
From my research and working on that issue for HANA, I can say it goes mostly to general revenues, but in one or two jurisdictions it goes to backstretch improvements. I think in CA some of it goes to jockey insurance, but dont quote me on that.

We thought we had a deal in Ontario for it to go back to players, but when the vote came up, the tracks and horseman groups voted to continue to keep it for themselves.
Thank you, Dean...
if they use some for backstretch improvements, it can't be much...as far as I can see, that part of the tracks haven't changed much...as bad as ever, IMO...
and IMO, some should go to jockey insurance... but it would not surprise me if some goes to things like fancy new tables and carpet in board rooms!

Gandalf the Grey
Old 01-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #21
jelly
Veteran

The Breeder,if sold,then the owner should be responsible for the horse.

To many horses are bred every year.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #22
thaskalos

Quote:

Shocking!
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #23
DJofSD
Screw PC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelly
To many horses are bred every year.
Really? So, you must be in favor of short fields, reduced racing days and closing of race tracks.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJofSD
Really? So, you must be in favor of short fields, reduced racing days and closing of race tracks.

Yes,I'm in favor of closing race tracks.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 PM   #25
horses4courses

Important issues.....

Surely, if funds could be extracted from each track for retired horses, funding could also be acquired to establish a national organization to run the sport?

Getting the separate bodies of all states that participate in racing onto the same page would be so radical that it's hard to imagine.

Caring for retired thoroughbreds is a vital issue.

Establishing a national governing body for the sport of horse racing?
Priceless.......
chance of returning to the WH, assuming that
he can manage to stay out of prison. Think about it.
horses4courses is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-17-2011, 11:56 PM   #26
Fager Fan
Veteran

I have no idea why anyone thinks the horseplayers should be responsible for the retirement of racehorses. That is for the owners, trainers, breeders, jockeys, consignors, auction companies, and all the others who make their livings off the horses. This isn't something racing should ask the customers to support other than any voluntary contributions they'd like to offer.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 AM   #27
CBedo
AllAboutTheROE

Quote:
I pay about $200 a month for data. If I could pay $210, knowing Breeders, owners and everyone else was paying to a fund, run professionally by someone like Betts that might help, I would. As a horse owner I would gladly pay $x for a 401k like she has proposed, but I think my horses are my responsibility and I take that seriously anyway.

I chose the second option.
If the industry didn't do such a crappy job, then horseplayers wouldn't have to worry. Making it a horseplayer problem is like saying we should all have our taxes raised to help out the people have lost their pensions due to crappy management at places like Enron, Worldcomm, & Tyco. I feel bad for them, all, but I don't feel obligated to bail them out.

As far as data cost, maybe I'd be willing to contribute $10 a month...if they lowered my cost from $200 to $100!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #28
ceejay

The oil and gas industry in Oklahoma voluntarily does this type of thing. .1% voluntary levy to clean up abandoned spills. Although I am sure that there are some who opt out, I do not know any who do. http://www.oerb.com/WellSiteCleanup/...0/Default.aspx
ceejay is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 04:49 PM   #29
toussaud

I would have no problem with them raising admissions by 1 dollar and that dollar going STRAIGHT to horse retirement. I would not have a problem paying 7 dollars instead of 5 dollars for my data. I can live with that.

but only if I knew it was 100% going to horse retirement, not vacations for people who run a horse farm and retire 5-10 horses a year with the rest of the money and only if everyone else pitched in somehow to.

I think 2% or so of all purse money should go to horse retirement
toussaud is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2011, 05:24 PM   #30
tbwinner

It's not just the horseplayers who should pay - everyone should.

I would support a fee for increased foal registration that is "earmarked" for retirement - but who would hold it? Definitely can't trust it to the government or a state-steward board!
tbwinner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply