Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Computers

Old 04-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #1
Clocker

Program installed without permission

Many on the web are finding a program called OneLaunch being installed on their computer without the knowledge or permission of the owner.

A quick search of the web doesn't show any harmful effects yet, but the practice is awful. If you have it installed, there will be a OneLaunch icon in the upper left corner of your Windows screen.

To remove it, you need to open your Windows Control Panel and follow the simple directions to "Uninstall". The Control Panel is in different locations in different versions of Windows. Finding it may be the hardest part of this process.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:09 AM   #2
BettinBilly
Educated Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Many on the web are finding a program called OneLaunch being installed on their computer without the knowledge or permission of the owner.

A quick search of the web doesn't show any harmful effects yet, but the practice is awful. If you have it installed, there will be a OneLaunch icon in the upper left corner of your Windows screen.

To remove it, you need to open your Windows Control Panel and follow the simple directions to "Uninstall". The Control Panel is in different locations in different versions of Windows. Finding it may be the hardest part of this process.
I believe my antiviral found and quarantined this about a week ago on my Windows 10 laptop, right after uploaded the latest anti viral update. Once Windows quarantined the program, I removed it permanently. If it was not OneLaunch, then it was a similar program that invited itself onto the laptop without asking.

I rarely use Windows, having migrated to Chromebook for all of my personal use. But I have a part time gig about 6 weekends a year that requires a Windows laptop, so I am forced to own a Windows machine. I try and run updates regularly just to make sure I'm keeping the laptop current and virus free. It's a pain in the behind compared to a Chromebook update process, but it has to be done.

Thanks for the alert.
Old 04-20-2022, 09:46 PM   #3
Stevecsd2

Thanks for the heads up. I hate this kind of crap, where they install stuff without your consent.
Stevecsd2 is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-20-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
Clocker

Upon further research, it is my understanding that OneLaunch is not a stand alone program that installs itself at random. What I have seen indicates that OneLaunch is attached to other web sites or programs, with or without the knowledge of those other programs. It installs itself when you access the "host" program or open the "host" web site.

Any further information on this problem would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2022, 02:17 AM   #5
tupper

It might be good to read this article.

Evidently, OneLaunch is not "attached to websites," but it comes bundled with other programs that one might download, as suggested by @Clocker.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-21-2022, 01:20 PM   #6
Clocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tupper View Post
it comes bundled with other programs that one might download, as suggested by @Clocker.
Bundled and self-installing, without notice to or permission from the user. If I knew what it was bundled with, I would give that one the ax also.
Old 04-21-2022, 01:50 PM   #7
tupper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clocker View Post
Bundled and self-installing, without notice to or permission from the user.
So glad that I never suffer any such problems with my setup.
tupper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 04-25-2022, 07:11 PM   #8
geroge.burns99
Veteran

For the past 10 years or so....

My PC has been protected with Avast & SpyBot

geroge.burns99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply