Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 11-23-2010, 10:23 AM   #1
andicap

Bleacher Report -- Most overrated QBs

i get this daily -- don't really agree with it much, but it can be fun, like today's 50 most overrated QBs. (Best were 10 best SI swimsuit models and the 10 top NFL teams for cheerleaders.)

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...in-nfl-history

I'm incensed Eli Manning is on the list -- he led them to a Super Bowl fer chrissake! And I'd hardly call Trent Dilfer "overrated." I guess you get pretty desperate when u get that far down the list. Should have stuck to top 20. Plus at times he confuses "Overrated" with "Hyped."

But some picks are interesting. Bob Griese at 12th. He did win a couple of SBs. However he has a point that Griese was often named to the Pro Bowl on rep not performance. I love Favre being 11th -- all the picks he's thrown in key situations. Johnny Unitas 9th? Never mind. This shows the guy's a complete moron. Johnny U basically invented the position for modern times and won the most famous NFL championship game in history.

I won't ruin the suspense on the rest.

Your reaction?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #2
cj's dad

As approached #1 and McNabb had not yet appeared my guess that he would at least be in the top 5 (if not #1)was looking good. Hell this bum didn't make the list and Unitas did. What is this guy on ? Crack ?
Old 11-23-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
andicap

I agree with you 100% on McNabb. On an NFL Network segment, they explained why Shanahan benched McNabb in that game. They showed several clips in which McNabb made terrible decisions - didn't see wide open receivers, didn't make the progressions you would think a veteran QB would do in his sleep, etc. Granted, Rex Grossman was not the answer but I could understand Shanahan's frustration.

And McNabb came up craps in his Super Bowl appearance. Lot of talent wasted there.

Some interesting choices in the top 10 but Unitas' inclusion ruined the whole thing. I am guessing he was taking the QBs entire body of work and downgrading Johnny U for some of his later years. That's idiotic.

I remember one game later in Unitas' career where he went head to head with Namath throwing TD passes. The teams combined for about 100 points or so.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
BillW
Comfortably Numb

The dude surely relies on QB rating a lot (at least when it's convenient). Back when quarterbacks called their own plays, weren't treated like china dolls and a wide receiver was fair game to be hit as long as the ball wasn't in the air the ratings were definitely down and the interceptions were up. And BTW who in hell over rates Cordell Stewart?
Old 11-23-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
cj's dad

This is the game Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by andicap
I remember one game later in Unitas' career where he went head to head with Namath throwing TD passes. The teams combined for about 100 points or so.
I was there- still a season ticket at the time; it was quite a shootout.

New York Jets 44 at Baltimore Colts 34

Sunday, September 24, 1972

Stadium: Memorial Stadium, Start Time: 1:00, Surface: Surface: grass,
Weather: 63 degrees, relative humidity 74%, wind 8 mph

This game was pretty much JU's swan song

Jets

Comp- Att Yd TD INT

15 28 496 6 1

Colts

Comp- Att Yd TD INT

26 45 376 2 0
Old 11-23-2010, 01:24 PM   #6
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj's dad
I was there- still a season ticket at the time; it was quite a shootout.

New York Jets 44 at Baltimore Colts 34

Sunday, September 24, 1972

Stadium: Memorial Stadium, Start Time: 1:00, Surface: Surface: grass,
Weather: 63 degrees, relative humidity 74%, wind 8 mph

This game was pretty much JU's swan song

Jets

Comp- Att Yd TD INT

15 28 496 6 1

Colts

Comp- Att Yd TD INT

26 45 376 2 0
An epic battle of 2 Pittsburgh boys! (Sorry Dennis, I just had to add that )
Old 11-23-2010, 01:27 PM   #7
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
An epic battle of 2 Pittsburgh boys! (Sorry Dennis, I just had to add that )
Thanks for sharing !

BTW, I seem to remember that ol JU was playing right in your backyard and no one from the Steelers orginization was smart enough to sign him. (Sorry Bill, I just had to add that)
Old 11-23-2010, 01:39 PM   #8
BillW
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
Thanks for sharing !

BTW, I seem to remember that ol JU was playing right in your backyard and no one from the Steelers orginization was smart enough to sign him. (Sorry Bill, I just had to add that)
He was a late bloomer
Old 11-23-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
sandpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillW
He was a late bloomer
Must have been considering he signed with the University of Louisville because nobody else wanted him.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Relwob Owner

Quote:
I agree with you 100% on McNabb. On an NFL Network segment, they explained why Shanahan benched McNabb in that game. They showed several clips in which McNabb made terrible decisions - didn't see wide open receivers, didn't make the progressions you would think a veteran QB would do in his sleep, etc. Granted, Rex Grossman was not the answer but I could understand Shanahan's frustration.

And McNabb came up craps in his Super Bowl appearance. Lot of talent wasted there.

Some interesting choices in the top 10 but Unitas' inclusion ruined the whole thing. I am guessing he was taking the QBs entire body of work and downgrading Johnny U for some of his later years. That's idiotic.

Couldnt agree more about McNabb....I have seen him play many games and have never once seen him seem to genuinely care about the result of a game he is playing in......
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
sandpit

Quote:

Jets

Comp- Att Yd TD INT

15 28 496 6 1

496 yards on just 15 completions??? that's ridiculous; I bet nobody has averaged 33 yards per completion in a game ever; at least not with that many attempts.
sandpit is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
cj's dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
496 yards on just 15 completions??? that's ridiculous; I bet nobody has averaged 33 yards per completion in a game ever; at least not with that many attempts.
To say this game was wide open would be an understatement
Old 11-24-2010, 02:29 PM   #13
Valuist

Quote:

Whether McNabb is no good now, or been overrated over the course of his career are completely different topics. Yes, he has not played well this season with the Redskins. But the guy took some very average supporting casts to 4 NFC championship games. When you consider that other than 2009 and the year TO was there, his top receivers were often guys like James Thrash, Todd Pinkston and Reggie Brown. Those are NOT good wide receivers by any measuring stick. He accomplished a lot with little help.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
Valuist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandpit
I will take Vick's game against Washington over that:
20 of 28 passing for 333 yards, 4 TDs zero interceptions; QB rating over 150
8 carries 80 yards, 2 touchdowns

Here I am defending McNabb and Vick in the same thread and I'm not even an Eagles fan.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-24-2010, 05:17 PM   #15
pandy

Numbers

Just like speed figures, numbers cannot be the only measure of talent. This guy attempts to rate quarterbacks on stats like completion percentage, touchdowns vs interceptions, etc. On paper it seems to make sense, only it doesn't. Look at Namath, for instance. He threw a lot of interceptions and his completion percentage wasn't that great. But anyone who ever saw him play can tell you that he was one of the greatest passers ever. So how can that be? Simple, since he had a cannon he threw long often (the didn't have the so-called west coast offense in those days). Namath not only completed a lot of bombs but he also completed a lot of passes in the 20 to 30 yard range, moving his team down the field quickly. And the reason for the interceptions is because deep passes are risky and all deep passing quarterbacks get their share of interceptions, just like most home run hitters strike out a lot. The same holds true for John Elway, who had a cannon and threw long passes.

With strong arm accurate passers like Marino, Elway, Namath, a team is never out of the game because these guys can bring a team back from a deep deficit. According to stats at pro-football reference.com, here are the guys with the most 4th quarter comebacks. Actual is using his methodology, reported is the NFL's.

QB Reported Actual
John Elway 47 34
Brett Favre 42 27
Dan Marino 37 36
Peyton Manning 37 28
Drew Bledsoe 32 24
Joe Montana 31 31
Johnny Unitas 31 34
Tom Brady 28 20
Joe Namath 16 16
Roger Staubach 23 15
Ben Roethlisberger 19 15

Last edited by pandy; 11-24-2010 at 05:27 PM.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply