Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 PM   #46
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbinepmi View Post
Georgia is simply a much, much better team than Texas in a much, much tougher conference.
SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM![/QUOTE]

Pokie state beating Mizzou didn't surprise me, I really thought they might beat them badly. Turned out to be a close game. oSU may be headed the wrong way, which gives me no happiness. I'm a fan of Gundy, the guy can coach. Their recruiting has fallen a bit, not sure if he's as much into it now. I'm pulling for him tho, good,coach that sticks up for his players. oSU is lucky to have him.

Mizzou... Second year in a row getting beaten by a 6-6 big 12 team in a bowl. (last year they trash talked Texas before the bowl game on and off the field) Has to be disappointing. They've really hit the downhill slope since going to the sec. Winning the SEC East a couple of times early on, now this.

Last edited by ElKabong; 01-02-2019 at 11:12 PM.
ElKabong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 01:14 AM   #47
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Welp. So much for playoff expansion.

"Deserving" teams in Georgia and UCF both lost to teams not even in the CFP committee's top 10. Both teams trailed by double digits for the majority of those contests.

#3, #4, #5, #7, #8, and #9 ranked teams all lost in the CFP or their bowl game.

#1 Alabama, #2 Clemson, #6 Ohio State, and #10 Florida were the only top 10 teams to win.

But hey, let's make these kids play another game so super fan can be entertained from his barcalounger. (And no, schools aren't risking taking away a regular season home game that brings schools in $6 - $10 million in revenue to help support other sports.)
How is Georgia "deserving" of going to the cfp? LSU bent them over and pulled their hair until they cried. It was a massacre. LSU is clearly superior to Georgia.

Not picking an arguement, just Being honest. They out played Alabama for almost three quarters but choked with the fake punt. It's nice they gave Alabama all they could handle, but in the end they couldn't close the deal. Again.

Georgia is good, and they're about to be damn good with their recruiting classes. But their offense needs an overhaul. My brother went to the game, said their offense was utterly under prepared. I guess they thought somehow we'd come out in the traditional big 12 style 3-3 defense. Texas made the obvious change to go 3-4 and play more physical. UGA wideouts kept running the same routes, never changing the reads until the second half. Our db's were all over their routes, wr's were rarely open in the first half

The throws Fromm was off on in the third quarter was likely due to halftime adjustments, which apparently they didn't practice leading up to kickoff. The wr's and the qb weren't on the same page until the fourth quarter. The coaches never gave them a chance. They thought they could push our front six (seven) but that extra LB allowed us to stuff their running game. Failing a running game they thought they could beat our db's, which wasn't going to happen either. Even with UT freshman starters and injuries in the secondary, Georgia receivers couldn't get separation until the game was essentially over.

Georgia... Poor coaching for this particular game. Over rated players (they'll be a legit top contender in no less than two years). To say the better team didn't win is wrong, IMO.

Last edited by ElKabong; 01-03-2019 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:16 AM   #48
Dahoss2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElKabong View Post
SEC went 1 and 3 against the Big XII in bowls. HOOK 'EM!

Pokie state beating Mizzou didn't surprise me, I really thought they might beat them badly. Turned out to be a close game. oSU may be headed the wrong way, which gives me no happiness. I'm a fan of Gundy, the guy can coach. Their recruiting has fallen a bit, not sure if he's as much into it now. I'm pulling for him tho, good,coach that sticks up for his players. oSU is lucky to have him.

Mizzou... Second year in a row getting beaten by a 6-6 big 12 team in a bowl. (last year they trash talked Texas before the bowl game on and off the field) Has to be disappointing. They've really hit the downhill slope since going to the sec. Winning the SEC East a couple of times early on, now this.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on Big Texas win! Screw all the people that thought Georgia would roll. You have to lineup and play the game!! Herman has Horns on the right track EK!!!
Dahoss2002 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 01:39 AM   #49
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
Sugar Bowl score was a result of two things:
Georgia not wanting to be there and Texas arriving on the scene.
UGA felt as though they deserved a spot in the playoffs and the Sugar simply wasn't where they wanted to be.
Texas announced its arrival back on the scene...excellent coach who will recruit very well and a solid QB makes them a force to fear in the coming years.
Texas hasn't arrived, unfortunately. They lose a lot of starters on defense and the o line. And Sam, as good as he was last night, was awful vs ou last month. Next year will be like this one. Start out slow, end strong (hopefully)

Georgia wasn't prepared (coaches) and to be honest with the extra LB we put on the field we become more physical than they are. Big difference between a 3-3 and 3-4 alignment. What you saw, in terms of physicality, was a different defense than what you'll see vs Oklahoma or West Virginia. It was out of necessity, but the result really isn't shocking given the extra LB (we have some good ones) on the field vs an offense with no imagination or a solid game plan.
Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 AM   #50
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss2002 View Post

Congrats on Big Texas win! Screw all the people that thought Georgia would roll. You have to lineup and play the game!! Herman has Horns on the right track EK!!!
Thanks dahoss, it was nice to beat them after they took us 10-9 back in January 1984 in the cotton bowl. We were undefeated that year. We were up 9-3, they weren't moving the ball at all. They punt, our normal returner hurt his hand so Craig Curry was in to return the punt. Fumbles. Next play or two, their qb runs it in on a beautiful option. I was there, froze our butts off.

The year before, we beat Alabama in the cotton bowl. Charlie Brewer ran a qb draw 30 yards to win the game. He was so slow you could time him with a sun dial. He won the bowl game mvp, very nice guy. Fast forward 35 years later. His son is the qb for Baylor, leads them to an unlikely bowl season, beats Vandy on a last minute drive. Just like his dad he wins the bowl game mvp trophy.

Stuff like that makes football fun. At least for me.

LSU plays in Austin in week two next season. Trust me, you'll beat us by two TDs plus. If so, hope you guys go all the way. And congrats on beating UCF !
Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 AM   #51
Someday Silent

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless View Post
Thanks but I was also dead wrong in the Sugar Bowl.

Texas was a deserving winner, for sure.
You still made a better pick than I, so thumbs up either way.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 AM   #52
reckless
Veteran

Quote:
Thank god for people like you, you line my pockets and fill my heart with joy. May you all multiply in numbers by the day

I read where Georgia didn't allow more than 16 points in the first half to an SEC team in the two years Kirby smart has been there.... Yet Oklahoma and Texas had no problems doing so. Hmmmm.

Collected more money off SEC fans from lone star park today than I did on a large pick four payout (two tickets totaling over $1400). Many thanks!
Glad you made a killing at the expense of us idiots ...

I also hope all of your winnings can buy you some class and good cheer.
reckless is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #53
Fred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour View Post
When did I say that about the Florida v Michigan game?
You didn't have to
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 11:30 AM   #54
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

All this Texas talk reminds me that Maryland beat the Horns two years on the trot.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 03:33 PM   #55
ElKabong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
All this Texas talk reminds me that Maryland beat the Horns two years on the trot.
Hey the better team won, and I congratulated you. Well deserved

I must say, when we beat Maryland in El Paso forty years ago 42-0, your fans there were equally as eager to congratulate.... wishing the Turtles well going forth.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:18 PM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Hey the better team won, and I congratulated you. Well deserved

I must say, when we beat Maryland in El Paso forty years ago 42-0, your fans there were equally as eager to congratulate.... wishing the Turtles well going forth.
Just teasing with ya, was certainly hoping Texas would win the Sugar Bowl and they dominated.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-03-2019, 05:35 PM   #57
Valuist

I bet Clemson +6 as soon as the line came out. We won't see it at 6 again.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-05-2019, 11:31 AM   #58
ronsmac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Entertainment based?

So, you don't give a hoot about the players (just the fans?) that are playing for peanuts with millions on the line for a number of them if they get hurt? (Can't wait for a QB on a 16 seed that is a potential draft pick sitting out the 1st round so he doesn't get hurt; cause it will happen. Likely would have happened this year with Will Grier sitting out for West Virginia on the road at Alabama.)

Fans shouldn't mean a damn thing for determining who the best team is in any given year.

Every year in college football going back to the 70s, there have been 1 to 3 dominant teams in any given year. This year we have 2 that are head and shoulders above the rest and remain as the only undefeated teams in all the land. They play on Monday for the title; and deservedly so.

If you can't win your regional/conference championship, you haven't earned the right to play for a national championship.
Man if we cared so much about the players we wouldn't even be playing football.
ronsmac is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #59
ultracapper

Clemson +190

Man, that's a fair price. 2/1!!! Almost.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 PM   #60
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Bama - 5.5
Under 57

Nick Saban looking to enter the rarefied air as being the first FBS College Football coach to win 7 National Championships.

Not all that surprising, but he is currently tied with legendary 'Bama coach Bear Bryant and Fielding Yost with 6.

A win tonight, and he'll likely take over the helm as the recognized greatest college football coach of all time (if he hasn't achieved that 'title' already).
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: