Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Selections

Old 09-02-2017, 10:02 AM   #1
Teach

Saratoga: Saturday, September 2

Race One:

REEDINI. Yes, here I go out on the limb, again. I like this Bernardini-bred colt for various reasons: (1) his breeding; (2) his trainer, Dale Romans; (3) his jockey, Angel Arroyo (although “Double-A” is not having a stellar “Spa” meet, he is most capable); (4) Finally, his class-drop. In my opinion, the potential exists for a lucrative first-race payoff. I also like the fact that this 3 year-old broke his maiden, at Ellis Park, at today’s distance: 6 and ½ furlongs. If you’re looking elsewhere: 1, 6, 9.

Race Two:

TELECOMMUNICATION. First, this War Front-bred 2 year-old chestnut colt has a solid turf pedigree. Personally, I like jockey Florent Geroux “on the green”. The colt’s conditioner, Brad Cox, is a most meet starts, from a very large sampling. This colt’s morning works, although not eye-popping, have been good and steady. Others: 2, 6, 12 (if he draws in).

Race Three:

FROSTY GAL. This 3 year-old filly is dropping out of New York state-bred non-graded stakes company and into an n1x allowance sprint. I believe the today’s class-drop enhances this filly’s chances of gracing the winner’s circle. The most capable reinsman, Manny Franco, is in the irons for trainer Barclay Tagg. Tagg does reasonably well with horses that have been on the shelf (this Giant’s Causeway-bred has been away from the races for over two months). Finally, a personal preference: I like the turf-to-dirt angle. Oh, one final point: I believe this filly’s post-position draw is a positive for her running style. Others: 3, 6, 7.

Race Four:

SHALAKO. This Malibu Moon-bred gelding was claimed – at the start of the Spa meet – out of the Chris Englehart barn by Linda Rice. Yes, Rice has been somewhat overshadowed by the Chad Brown-Todd Pletcher training duel; yet she does exceptionally well with horses dropping 2+ classes. Rice is one of the finest trainers on the NYRA circuit (to say that she’s fiercely competitive would be an understatement). Well, she has a decent shot with this M/L longshot. You can add to the equation the services on one the best, Jose Ortiz. In his last, this 4 year-old ran into more traffic than the L.I.E. at rush-hour. Today, from his inside starting post… Others: 7, 1, 11.

Race Five:

J.S. CHOICE. This 3 year-old colt was second against similar in last. He has, during his heretofore racing career face some pretty tough customers, e.g., Grade I Breeders Cup Juvenile Turf, Grade III Pilgrim. This field should be more to his liking. Todd Pletcher trains this Congrats-bred colt; Luis Seaz (I like him on the turf) is in the irons. Others: 3, 6, 7.

Race Six:

BIBLICAL. I usually don’t like first-timers coming out of the 1-hole; yet, this grey colt is so regally bred, I can’t wait to see him come out on the track. The Hall of Famer, Johnny V., is in the irons. Although he won’t capture Spa riding honors, he has quietly put together an excellent Spa meet (top percentage jockey). Of course, the name Todd Pletcher speaks for itself. The Dallas. TX native is one of this nation’s top conditioners. I believe the 7-panels distance gives Johnny V. a chance to maneuver this colt into a winning position. Others: 5, 7, 9.

Race Seven:

MAY BE. O.K., before you say abuelo loco, this pick is admittedly the proverbial “shot in the dark”. Yet, there’s no denying that this Werblin-bred 7 year-old gelding is a “speed-merchant”. I wouldn’t have touched him with “a 10-foot pole” if it weren’t for the fact that he was starting from the outside post. Tony Quartarolo is this gelding’s trainer; he does well with horses making their 3rd start off a layoff. C.J. McMahon is in the irons. Others: 6, 5, 1.

Race Eight:

BROWSE. This bay filly was second in a similar race at the start of the Spa meet. Any slight improvement… The most capable “Shug” McGaughey trains the daughter of Medaglia d’Oro. Johnny V. is in the irons. A sharp recent work on the turf bolsters confidence. Others: 6, 4, 2

Race Nine:

BRICKS AND MORTAR. This Giant’s Causeway-bred 3 year-old colt is a perfect 4-for-4. It’s hard to argue with that. Joel Rosario – he’s been aboard in all this colt’s races – is once again this Storm Cat-bred’s pilot. “Mechanicsville Chad” Brown is this colt’s conditioner. He does particularly well with horses who were winners of their last race. Others: 2, 1, 9.

Race Ten:

SEPARATIONOFPOWERS. This well-bred 2 year-old filly demolished her competition in a MSW sprint in late-July at The Spa. Although she should prevail, she’ll get a sterner test, here. She’ll have the support of stellar connections: Klaravich Stables, Chad Brown and Jose Ortiz. A sharp recent morning work bolsters confidence. Others: 4, 3, 5.

Race Eleven:

GUN RUNNER. This 4 year-old won the Grade Whitney. This chestnut colt also won CD’s Stephen Foster. His racing record is stellar. He’s prohibitive here in The Woodward. Just don’t expect too much on flat-bet returns. Jockey Florent Geroux has been in the irons every step of the way; he once again reprises the ride. The Hall of Fame trainer, Steve Asmussen, conditions this Candy Ride-bred chestnut colt. Others: 3, 1, 4

Race Twelve:

WAR FLAG. This War Front-bred bay filly has been either first or second in all of her turf starts. She should be right there once again in the finale, the Grade III Glens Falls. In her most recent race, this filly was second at Monmouth Park in the Grade III Matchmaker. “Shug” McGaughey trains; Jose Ortiz is in the irons. Others: 8, 7, 6.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 10:41 AM   #2
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

Saratoga Saturday 9/2/2017

All win bets are $2, and all exactas are $1, unless otherwise noted.

R1 Lookin At Blessing 15-1
R1 Exacta , /
Nik Zito has only one win this entire meet? That can’t last. This 3Yrold gelding is back on dirt now and taking a class drop from his last dirt effort. You can draw a line through his last race, a disastrous attempt on turf.

R2 Piantagrane 20-1
R3 $2 Exacta /
Another Zito angle. Second try for this expensive Keenland purchase who might like being away off the rail this time.

R3 Bree's Got Heart 15-1
R3 Exacta , /
Another who’s had failed efforts on turf getting back on the dirt where he’s hit the board in seven out of nine tries.

R4 Generous Kitten 15-1
R4 Exacta , /
Assmusen is 20% off the claim, 24% in claiming races as well as 19% second off a layoff.

R5 Cruz Diez 20-1
R5 Exacta , /
Late-running 3YrOld didn’t like the slop last time.

R6 Bourbon Resolution 8-1
R6 Exacta , /
Third-time starter gave nice efforts in his first two. Will be up near the pace.

R7 Warrior's Club 8-1
R7 Exacta , /
Rosario onboard here on a colt who was second last-out at similar conditions at SPA last month.

R8 Smile Big 15-1
R8 Exacta , /
For some strange reason, Rodriguez is putting this filly back on turf after two excellent dirt efforts. Seems crazy but I just can’t resist.

R9 Rocketry 6-1
R9 Exacta , /
Meet’s leading rider, who is 40% with Jerkins, will be flying late.

R10 Lady Ivanka 9-2
R10 $2 Exacta /
Irad gets the mount on this filly who blew out the field in her maiden last-out.

R11 War Story 8-1
R11 $2 Exacta /
Fourth-place Whitney finisher will have his hands full trying to chase the current leading HOY candidate, but stranger things have happened this year and none of the new shooters look appealing.
Redboard is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 12:55 PM   #3
Teach

Race One: Although I didn't pick him, I feel that is making a nice impression on the racetrack. Do I dare? O.K., I'll say it: I believe is vulnerable. As always, good luck!

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-02-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
Redboard
$2 Showbettor

R1 Lookin At Blessing 15-1 ----- > scratched

R2 Piantagrane 20-1 ----- > 7th

R3 Bree's Got Heart 15-1 ----- > 4th

R4 Generous Kitten 15-1 ----- > 5th

R5 Cruz Diez 20-1 ----- > 4th

R6 Bourbon Resolution 8-1 ----- > won $10.60