Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 12-06-2018, 11:44 PM   #1
Afleet

Bravazo Heading To Pegasus World Cup Invitational

I'm all for horses making multiple starts, but I would think this horse deserves to be turned out for 60 days or so

"We've got a window of about seven weeks so we'll get him in a work pattern,” Lukas said. “We did ship him to Arkansas where he's getting a week to just take it easy. We'll start picking up a work tab schedule in mid-December. He's really done well. He's fit, his weight is excellent. He's run eight straight G1s and a lot of people would think he would taper off but he seems to only have gotten better. He's a picture of consistency.”

https://www.paulickreport.com/news/p...-invitational/
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 12:43 AM   #2
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

I'm no trainer, but Bravazo seemed to take everything in stride this year.

11 races with a 2-3-2 record running in 8 G1s, 2 G2s and an Allowance race while pocketing over $1 Mill.

Who else is gonna run in the Pegasus? I'd say he has as good a shot as any off his longest rest in over a year. And oh by the way, 1/26/19 will be more than 60 days since his last.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 01:39 AM   #3
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Drop Husker View Post
Who else is gonna run in the Pegasus? I'd say he has as good a shot as any off his longest rest in over a year.
So far pointing to the race or "looking" at it:

Accelerate
City of Light
Gunnevera
Audible
Battle of Midway
Yoshida
Patternrecognition
Leofric
Bravazo
Seeking The Soul
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 07:16 AM   #4
Mulerider

Quote:
I I'd say he has as good a shot as any off his longest rest in over a year.
I agree, and wouldn't be surprised if he won.

Do you know what these horses had in common?:

West Coast
Pavel
Mind Your Biscuits
Catholic Boy
McKinzie
Axelrod
Discreet Lover
Roaring Lion

They were all beaten by LONE SAILOR in the BCC, a horse I thought was in over his head and stood an excellent chance of finishing dead last. Also, like Bravazo, he'd raced six times since the Kentucky Derby.
Mulerider is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #5
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spalding No! View Post
So far pointing to the race or "looking" at it:

Accelerate
City of Light
Gunnevera
Audible
Battle of Midway
Yoshida
Patternrecognition
Leofric
Bravazo
Seeking The Soul
Looks like a two horse race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
Lemon Drop Husker
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post

Can't wait to get Audible at 12/1.
Lemon Drop Husker is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-08-2018, 12:25 AM   #7
Spalding No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
I want to see which direction Bruce Headley goes with Surfing Star. He's eligible for both the Malibu and the San Antonio (and the 3yo turf race for that matter).

Either way, he'll be getting an acid test if he shows up opening day. He blitzed two allowance fields despite setting fast, contested paces during the recent Santa Anita fall meet. Shades of his sire and, dare I say, Sunday Silence (at least in terms of running style and coat color).
Spalding No! is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2018, 05:12 PM   #8
molson721

Nobody runs more horses in places where they don't belong than Lukas. Then when that very rarely and, occasional, horse of his wins a big race, you always hear how you can't count out a Lukas horse. All he does is throw sh** against the wall and hope it sticks yet he is never criticized for this. Just check his record in stakes races over the last 5 years. IT IS ATROCIOUS! Then again, so is his record with 2 year old starters and generally his OVERALL record!
molson721 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by molson721 View Post
Nobody runs more horses in places where they don't belong than Lukas. Then when that very rarely and, occasional, horse of his wins a big race, you always hear how you can't count out a Lukas horse. All he does is throw sh** against the wall and hope it sticks yet he is never criticized for this. Just check his record in stakes races over the last 5 years. IT IS ATROCIOUS! Then again, so is his record with 2 year old starters and generally his OVERALL record!
There's truth to this, but there's also truth to the fact that he can sometimes get horses to wake up and run huge. I would argue Bravazo's Preakness is a great example of this.

And bear in mind, it isn't as though he has no training skills. He did legitimately great jobs with Criminal Type, Steinlen, etc.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
clicknow

Lukas is old school and runs his horses a lot. That they should get a "rest" is a common chorus in a day and age when horses aren't raced a lot.

It all depends what his routine and feed is. Hay and oats trainers of yore did very well and had horses who were very *fit*.

Lukas doesn't have the numbers in his stables like some who really do "throw everything up against the wall and see if it sticks." What he does do is demand that his horses are RACE HORSES. That means not spending all their time standing around in the barn.

There are always "rumors" about his heavily run horses, before races, like how they are "lame" and such........and then they get out there and run pretty well.

He has a tendency to favor real war horses, iron horses. If only the breeders could breed more of those, and give them to trainers like Lukas, racing would start to look different today.

Unfortunately, the breeders aren't breeding for stamina/tenacity/longevity. That's not really Lukas's fault. He is training 'em like he always has.

I talked to an irate owner last year who had a horse w/Lukas, really didn't like him, transferred the horse(s) to another trainer, and the horse is not doing well at all. My take on him is mixed, but I sense that if you have a real race horse, who can "take" the athletic life that is the life of a race horse, then Lukas will bring them up to snuff. If you have a horse who isn't going to make it, he is not going to coddle your horse when he already sees what he's dealing with.

There are certain breedings I wouldn't give to Lukas for sure. He does very well with horses who are strong and physically sound. If you want your horse to run 2x-3x a year, don't give it to Lukas.

Last edited by clicknow; 12-10-2018 at 01:43 PM.
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-10-2018, 04:54 PM   #11
devilsbag
Prefer to be called Dinny

clicknow wins it for America!
devilsbag is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #12
clicknow

I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more "astute eye" for horses than Lukas. I used to think those same things that many people criticize Lukas for. I've talked to Mr. Lukas many times, read most all of his interviews, gone to Oaklawn at Dawn where he was featured, etc.......for 18+ years or so.

I remember when he was one of the few who started flying horses "coast to coast". Nobody did that.

He "knows" which ones can take consequetive races and which can't. I think there are trainers who don't care about their horses, and run them into the ground.... Lukas has nothing to prove, loves the game, has won everything there is to win. He rides, he knows horses.

he's also a gambler. Risk taker type. And just maybe, he expects horses to "keep up with him" At 80-something he's very active. Seems to go with his entire philosophy.

If a horse has a shot at hitting the board, and they are healthy and sound, why not take a shot?
clicknow is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #13
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicknow View Post
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find a more "astute eye" for horses than Lukas. I used to think those same things that many people criticize Lukas for. I've talked to Mr. Lukas many times, read most all of his interviews, gone to Oaklawn at Dawn where he was featured, etc.......for 18+ years or so.

I remember when he was one of the few who started flying horses "coast to coast". Nobody did that.

He "knows" which ones can take consequetive races and which can't. I think there are trainers who don't care about their horses, and run them into the ground.... Lukas has nothing to prove, loves the game, has won everything there is to win. He rides, he knows horses.

he's also a gambler. Risk taker type. And just maybe, he expects horses to "keep up with him" At 80-something he's very active. Seems to go with his entire philosophy.

If a horse has a shot at hitting the board, and they are healthy and sound, why not take a shot?
I agree with all of this.

I do think it is possible to believe this and also believe he over-presses with certain horses
Old 12-17-2018, 07:51 PM   #14
Someday Silent

Another thing about Lukas is that he doesn't get discouraged when a horse loses. Too many people freak out if a horse finishes third and want to retire them.
Someday Silent is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 12-17-2018, 08:20 PM   #15
Afleet

Quote:
Can't wait to get Audible at 12/1.
you may get more than that
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: