Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-07-2010, 12:22 PM   #301
andymays
Veteran

http://www.drf.com/news/blame-closes...bid-horse-year

Excerpt:

But it was Blame who got their first, though Stall admitted he was nervous in the closing yards.

“He shoved Lookin At Lucky out of the way at the quarter pole, and then I picked up Zenyatta between the three-sixteenths and the eighth pole, and that’s when I started doing the lean,” Stall said. “He galloped out in front. Once he saw her, she never got by him.”
-------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely love that quote. "I started doing the lean". Awesome.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #302
gm10

some nice pictures in here
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...LOST-time.html

check how much dirtier Zenyatta is!!

Last edited by gm10; 11-07-2010 at 01:04 PM.
gm10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #303
mountainman

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
http://www.drf.com/news/blame-closes...bid-horse-year

Excerpt:

But it was Blame who got their first, though Stall admitted he was nervous in the closing yards.

“He shoved Lookin At Lucky out of the way at the quarter pole, and then I picked up Zenyatta between the three-sixteenths and the eighth pole, and that’s when I started doing the lean,” Stall said. “He galloped out in front. Once he saw her, she never got by him.”
-------------------------------------------------------------

I absolutely love that quote. "I started doing the lean". Awesome.
Blame did indeed bull his way through, which amounted to more trouble than Z encountered. From my vantage point, she enjoyed a nearly pristene in-to-out trip. It's a good thing that Stall, by the way, was watching for himself rather than listening to the call, otherwise he would have thought that Z and L A L (the CALIFORNIA horses) were the only animals in with a shot. I thought it was an abysmal and biased call. Blame never LOOKED like a loser from the second he kicked it in on the turn, but he was mentioned too late and somewhat reluctantly by the announcer. Shame on that.

Last edited by mountainman; 11-07-2010 at 01:10 PM.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 01:13 PM   #304
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm10

What outstanding photos!!! GM10 thanks for sharing them.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #305
cpitt84

Quote:

Nice pics! Yeah, not used to seeing her so dirty. I almost didnt recognize her when she came down the stretch with all that dirt on her!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:57 PM   #306
DeanT

[YT="i1YutMhv1gQ"]i1YutMhv1gQ[/YT]
DeanT is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 03:10 PM   #307
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
As far as "getting tough" with her before the race
If a horse is not used to whipping, I wouldn't suggest that tactic in a big race, as it could very easily have had untoward results, just like an equipment change or any other major change might.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
All of them really loved this horse...and it showed.
Yet, there are many who believe they don't deserve any respect, and who even appear to despise them.

So much for the "value" of l-o-v-e (and stewardship over the animals we were supposedly given) nowadays in our value system of money-grubbing, ego, etc.

I was having a philosophical conversation about timing and position and greed and such, before the BC races with a friend. The next day, we witness the Life At Ten incident. He wrote: "It seems that LAT was not right before the race and they run her anyway. The horse just has to be in the race at all costs and the day had to be today, could not have scratched and waited for another day. Timing and position. Where are they now? How about express some interest for the horse?"

I save my disrespect for where it is most warranted.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 03:17 PM   #308
WinterTriangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
Why were their big hosses not here?
I have always scratched off most Coolmore, etc. horses running in Oct to Dec, (especially 3 year olds.) They have already peaked, and/or having prepped for all the big Euro races beforehand. It is somewhat general knowledge that euros send their 2nd (and lower) string horses here in the Fall.

At least, that was how i was taught, unless the horse is so classy that there is nothing that could stop it.
WinterTriangle is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #309
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Awesome stuff Dean. You can't help but laugh at that no matter how you feel today.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #310
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterTriangle
I save my disrespect for where it is most warranted.
Via PM?
Old 11-07-2010, 04:28 PM   #311
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman
Blame did indeed bull his way through, which amounted to more trouble than Z encountered. From my vantage point, she enjoyed a nearly pristene in-to-out trip.

I would have to disagree. I have watched the replay several times and have to say the key to the race was the far turn. I have actually have the race paused right now as the leaders hit the far turn. Blame is 7th at this point inside of Looking at Lucky with nothing absolutely nothing in front of him. Zenyatta is dead last at this point with 3 horses in front of her. As the leaders hit the 3/8th's pole Blame is still running freely as Etched and Looking at Luck pull to the outside to make there run. Zenyatta is still last in behind 3 horses and has not been able to make a run. Blame is able to run freely from the 3/8th's pole till the 1/4 pole when he has to split Etched and Looking at Lucky. Zenyatta finally gets a little room at the 1/4 pole has to shift out 5 paths and finally has daylight with 1-1/2 furlongs to go. Zenyatta ran very hard the last furlong but just could not quite catch Blame.

The best horse does not always win the race and this was the case here. Hard for Zenyatta to overcome the dream trip of Blame while she has to wait and wait some more to finally be able to run. No doubt in my mind Zenyatta is the better of the 2.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 04:33 PM   #312
bcgreg

Quote:

Very nice...thanks for sharing.

bcgreg
bcgreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 04:35 PM   #313
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat
The best horse does not always win the race and this was the case here. Hard for Zenyatta to overcome the dream trip of Blame while she has to wait and wait some more to finally be able to run. No doubt in my mind Zenyatta is the better of the 2.
Since when is having no tactical speed not a fault? There is a reason speed does better on dirt. Why? Because tactical speed and positioning are as important as rationing speed efficiently, probably more so. Horses that run 26 second first quarters are not the best horses on dirt, period. Feel free to keep betting them though, I have two more kids to put through college.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #314
SharpCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj
Since when is having no tactical speed not a fault? There is a reason speed does better on dirt. Why? Because tactical speed and positioning are as important as rationing speed efficiently, probably more so. Horses that run 26 second first quarters are not the best horses on dirt, period. Feel free to keep betting them though, I have two more kids to put through college.
I did not say anything about tactical speed or betting. I was talking only about this specific race and not races in general. I simply was responding to the other posters comment that Zenyatta had a better trip than Blame. I gave a break down of the trips encountered by Blame and Zenyatta the last half mile of the race. In my opinion Blame without question had the better trip than Zenyatta. If you disagree with my opinion feel free to break it down for me.
SharpCat is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #315
Charlie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpCat
. No doubt in my mind Zenyatta is the better of the 2.

I believe Zen is the better animal of the two also, but not by as the many lengths some people seem to imply.

Last edited by Charlie D; 11-07-2010 at 05:15 PM.
Charlie D is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: