Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 08-25-2011, 01:04 AM   #46
KingChas
2 outta 3 aint bad

My Saratoga excursion's have never been the same since Siro's or whomever dropped the early morning show with TLG and his cohorts.
Nothing like a cup of coffee or hair o the dog "before the gates opened".
Relaxed,took notes,lmao at times, and could actually hear every word
and tip from TLG and Co.

Just cannot enjoy the show from the carousel too many distractions to much noise.
Just not the same I can't get comfortable.

I sure hope somehow,somewhere the Siro's type format(early morn) would return to the Spa.
KingChas is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 07:22 AM   #47
bks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfOscarB
A good and accurate piece on Mr. S.

Look, there are lots of pro players, past and present that can do what Andy does, but few would be interested in doing it for the public, on a daily basis.

1) It takes a certain personality type, which is rare.

2) They would prefer to bet alone, and not take grandma along for the ride.

What you're getting are the insights , for better or worse, mostly the former, of a professional level player. That so few are ever seen in public, makes the effort seem unique.
Very good comment. The fact that Andy is so good [which he inarguably is], and that people have begun to follow in significant numbers, can actually open up opportunities in races when Andy misses something you happen to pick up on. The sheer volume of races he handicaps virtually ensures things will slip through in his public comments, and when I see something he hasn't noticed in evaluating the race it can result in bigger plays for me.
bks is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 12:07 PM   #48
Little Watermelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingChas
My Saratoga excursion's have never been the same since Siro's or whomever dropped the early morning show with TLG and his cohorts.
Nothing like a cup of coffee or hair o the dog "before the gates opened".
Relaxed,took notes,lmao at times, and could actually hear every word
and tip from TLG and Co.

Just cannot enjoy the show from the carousel too many distractions to much noise.
Just not the same I can't get comfortable.

I sure hope somehow,somewhere the Siro's type format(early morn) would return to the Spa.
I couldn't agree more, the atmosphere at these seminars has really changed. There used to be an air of horseplayer comradery at Siro's which is entirely gone, not to mention the poor sound and other distractions. I actually had this conversation with a lady sitting next to me a couple of Saturdays ago. She was talking to her family loudly during the beginning of the seminar and I politely pointed out to her that there were gentleman speaking that we were trying to hear. She got angry and told me that if I wanted to hear them I should go somewhere else. She and her family got up in a huff a few minutes later.

I've always enjoyed Serling's commentary, although I miss the ribbing that Harvey Pack used to give him. Serling gave out a gem last Saturday I think it was, which I didn't use, to my regret. He pointed out that Albert Stall had run two first time starters long on the Spa turf in the last five years and had won with both of them. I absorbed that, didn't use the horse in my tri in which I had singled a Chad Brown 1st time starter, and the Stall horse came flying at the end and almost won. That taught me something: if you get a good piece of information like that on a horse that provides value and the information is not known by most of the betting public, you have to use it. I didn't and got burned.
Little Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #49
Cardus
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos
I have said before and will reiterate again, the three posters that I admire the most on this forum are (not in any order): The Little Guy (Andy Sterling), Robert99, and DanG.
My list is TLG, CJ, and -- flying at the finish -- Dexter M.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #50
Cardus
Veteran

Beyer's column's principal strength is its accuracy.

I'd like to read the reaction to the column by any of TLG's peers who post here. I think that that would provide another layer of interest.
Cardus is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 04:36 PM   #51
TheGhostOfOscarB
Veteran

posting this before the race.

Andy has just gone 'all in' on an off the turfer. 8th #3

wow. not me.
TheGhostOfOscarB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #52
TheGhostOfOscarB
Veteran

Nice call. Thought there were too many issues to take a short price.
TheGhostOfOscarB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 04:51 PM   #53
KidCapper

Not to brag, but I released that Winner and Exacta at 9:46 PM last night. I'm red hot at the Spa today!!! Sorry felt the need for some shameless self-promotion to release some energy. Carry-on!!

KidCapper
KidCapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 04:55 PM   #54
eastie
Double Secret Probation

Bertolino had a hoss named Bert B. Don about 35 years ago. He win about 15 and was secomd about 10 times in not too many starts. They must have thought something about this guy to give him that name. That hoss got them rolling in the business when they were San Fran stable. Side Note, if you ever see a firster named Country Monarch, he's probably a derby hoss, as he was the Big hoss for them back then.
eastie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM   #55
lamboguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
Bertolino had a hoss named Bert B. Don about 35 years ago. He win about 15 and was secomd about 10 times in not too many starts. They must have thought something about this guy to give him that name. That hoss got them rolling in the business when they were San Fran stable. Side Note, if you ever see a firster named Country Monarch, he's probably a derby hoss, as he was the Big hoss for them back then.
look for FRANK RULES in belmont
lamboguy is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #56
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidCapper
Not to brag, but I released that Winner and Exacta at 9:46 PM last night. I'm red hot at the Spa today!!! Sorry felt the need for some shameless self-promotion to release some energy. Carry-on!!

KidCapper
Seeing how last night it was still a turf race does it really matter?
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 06:04 PM   #57
Relwob Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGhostOfOscarB
As for comparing a touted horse to a hedge fund 'idea', there's no comparison at all.

Giving out your selection had an automatic negative impact on your return (roi) in a parimutual pool.

When a hedge fund passes on some 'idea' to another fund, the pile on effect is an automatic net POSITIVE for the originator. In fact, they may be selling their position to the toutee.

Andy, an ex wall streeter, will surely agree.
If you follow the thread, the hedge fund example was brought up to support the notion that serious, large bettors would listen the guys like TLG and Beyer and effect the odds as a result.

I think you missed his point. The debate was whether a serious bettor would listen to an expert like Beyer or TLG(and the analogy was spot on IMO) and I think it supports the fact that large bettors would listen to TLG, Beyer and others and it may impact the odds.

He wasnt referring to the specifics of the investments themselves, which as you pointed out, are different. He was pointing to the fact that someone investing money betting is likely to listen to someone like TLG and go along with their picks, just as a hedge fund manager would listen to another hedge fund person as well and make a move based on it.
Relwob Owner is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #58
Stillriledup
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relwob Owner
If you follow the thread, the hedge fund example was brought up to support the notion that serious, large bettors would listen the guys like TLG and Beyer and effect the odds as a result.

I think you missed his point. The debate was whether a serious bettor would listen to an expert like Beyer or TLG(and the analogy was spot on IMO) and I think it supports the fact that large bettors would listen to TLG, Beyer and others and it may impact the odds.

He wasnt referring to the specifics of the investments themselves, which as you pointed out, are different. He was pointing to the fact that someone investing money betting is likely to listen to someone like TLG and go along with their picks, just as a hedge fund manager would listen to another hedge fund person as well and make a move based on it.
You missed the point, that wasnt' the point. The point wasnt if serious bettors 'listen' to experts on tv, it was do they alter their bets completely because of something they heard on tv. There's a huge difference between a guy who bets 5k per race slightly altering his wagers because of an experts words or someone who completely goes 180 degrees from what he originally planned on betting.

My point was that there arent big bettors out there who were inches away from betting 2k to win on the 1 horse and then at the last second, switched the entire 2k to the 2 horse because someone gave it out on a tv show.

I think what's more likely to happen is that a smart bettor, who selects a horse and plans to bet 2k to win, might bet 2200 to win because he heard the expert on tv release the horse.

Most big bettors have been betting horses for DECADES, long before Andy Serling was an expert on television, those bettors ar.e set in their ways, they have their own strong opinions, especially if they're betting thousands of dollars.

There's no doubt that TLG or television experts do alter the odds somewhat...i just don't believe they alter them enough to even notice those moves on the toteboard. When Serling releases a good pick, there are plenty of professionals who have already decided they were on that horse to begin with even before Serling released it publicly. Andy Serling isnt the only top notch handicapper who's betting the horse races at NYRA.
Stillriledup is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-25-2011, 09:05 PM   #59
thespaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOnTour
All the big networks have to offer is Battaglia, Hammerin Hank and some ex-jockeys....TLG blows them away in the X's and O's dept, so to speak.

He would be a good addition/substitution for the above mentioned analysts.
Network TV and outlets such as ESPN look for on camera talent that is marketable ( name recognition).....It is for this reason why we see so many former athletes doing analyst work. Not to say that most do not do a credible job. Many do. There are also ex athlete on camera people who should be selling shoes.
Guys like Andy who are know their stuff, deliver it well also must be able to relate to the audience. That means ALL of the audience. Serling and his fellow public handicappers are experts that on a daily basis speak to an audience which has at least SOME knowledge of handicapping. I think as a network or major cable tv broadcaster/analyst, he like others in his position may have to "dumb down" their analyses to make them attractive to broadcaster management.
JMHO.
thespaah is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-26-2011, 10:08 PM   #60
affirmedny

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastie
Domenic Imprescia/Gonzalo Prosper trainer and jock? You missed the boat on Country Monarch II though, but probably a good thing:

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbH...031&registry=T
affirmedny is offline   Reply With Quote Reply