Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-09-2010, 12:29 AM   #1
thaskalos

What does "Horse Of The Year" MEAN?

Question:

Should the HOY award go to the horse with the most impressive year-long campaign...OR to the year's BEST horse?

Does a horse deserve to be named "HOY"...if said horse cannot be called the BEST HORSE of that particular year?

What would happen if the Japanese horse (Espoir City?) won the Classic by 7 lengths...earning a 123 Beyer in the process?

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-09-2010 at 12:42 AM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 AM   #2
jelly
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Question:

Should the HOY award go to the horse with the most impressive year-long campaign...OR to the year's BEST horse?

the year's best horse.

Does a horse deserve to be named "HOY"...if said horse cannot be called the BEST HORSE of that particular year?

No.
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 12:43 AM   #3
MNslappy

I've never been Board-Police Guy, but seriously...how many freaking threads on the exact same topic need to be on Page 1???

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=77129
MNslappy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 12:50 AM   #4
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNslappy
I've never been Board-Police Guy, but seriously...how many freaking threads on the exact same topic need to be on Page 1???

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=77129
You don't think I did it on purpose, do you?

I didn't notice the other thread...I ask that PA delete this thread if he sees fit.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 08:29 AM   #5
andymays
Veteran

It's not the award it's the people. If you had something similar to a sequestered jury where you weren't allowed to consider previous years or watch or read media reports about accomplishments from previous years then 99 out of 100 people would vote for Blame.
andymays is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM   #6
cj's dad

Zenyattamania

I just did a search here at PA using the words "Zenyatta threads" and came up with 20 pages @ 25 threads per page = 500 threads starters. Obviously, each thread topic had at least one reference to her; most had many more.

UGH - enough already !!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

I'll tell you exactly what it means. People with no real lives gaining self validation because a horse (you can replace the word "team" or "athlete" here) was declared the best (won championship) over other horses (teams. athletes) that they have no direct relationship with other than in their own minds. This does not apply to anyone who actually is directly associated with the horse (team, athlete) who actually accomplished something.

Live your own lives and quit living vicariously through others.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
I'll tell you exactly what it means. People with no real lives gaining self validation because a horse (you can replace the word "team" or "athlete" here) was declared the best (won championship) over other horses (teams. athletes) that they have no direct relationship with other than in their own minds. This does not apply to anyone who actually is directly associated with the horse (team, athlete) who actually accomplished something.

Live your own lives and quit living vicariously through others.
Al, this is one hell of a place to get mad at people for having an opinion.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
OTM Al
intus habes, quem poscis

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymays
Al, this is one hell of a place to get mad at people for having an opinion.
There is no comment there about opinions. I am simply giving my own. The question was not "Who should win". If asked that question I would answer "Blame" and give an logical argument. No, the question is, "What does it mean?" and I answered exactly what I think it means. And that's my opinion.
OTM Al is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

So then, HOY is just an excuse for a bunch of rich people to get together and rattle their jewelry and is meaningless to the teeming masses who provide the money for the purses.

Actually, I agree...if the awards are not determined by the fans, they have no value and are a waste of time.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
andymays
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTM Al
There is no comment there about opinions. I am simply giving my own. The question was not "Who should win". If asked that question I would answer "Blame" and give an logical argument. No, the question is, "What does it mean?" and I answered exactly what I think it means. And that's my opinion.
I get it Al. I would vote for Blame as well.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:29 AM   #12
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom
So then, HOY is just an excuse for a bunch of rich people to get together and rattle their jewelry and is meaningless to the teeming masses who provide the money for the purses.

Actually, I agree...if the awards are not determined by the fans, they have no value and are a waste of time.
Then as Fence said, the People's Choice Award would be great. Send Zenyatta, her groom, her connections--all on the end of her lead shank with security entourage accompanying them--right onto the red carpet and through the doors of the Kodak Theatre or the Shrine Auditorium in LA, whichever one this year's awards are held in. They can even build a ramp to the stage, no steps for the "the BIG MARE". She will, no doubt, outshine anything else in the building. And most of 'em will, surely, be in awe of her, realizing what racing fans have known for sometime!!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply