Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Poker


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-12-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 16,482
Blackjack

Any BJ players out there? For anyone thinking of learning card counting, I strongly recommend the Casino Verite software. Great way to practice without having to pay financial dues in a real casino.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
wiffleball whizz
Dead money
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuist
Any BJ players out there? For anyone thinking of learning card counting, I strongly recommend the Casino Verite software. Great way to practice without having to pay financial dues in a real casino.
I'll get more into this later but card counting is irrelevant.....8 decks where they bury 70-90 cards makes it pointless...

Worst game in the planet....people say the casino edge is .07 percent.....my ass...if I break then you break I lose,...it's a 12 percent hold game to say the least...

And another bj move nobody really Knows about is your supposed to split 8s against a 10......I wouldn't do that for a million dollars

I'm in the poker department so I don't deal blackjack but everytime im walking past bj tables the dealer always got a 10 up....always playing defense....

Then there is the "pulling cards from thd sky" factor....where the dealer pulls cards from outer space to win the hand
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 05:43 PM   #3
lamboguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston+Ocala
Posts: 22,855
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
I'll get more into this later but card counting is irrelevant.....8 decks where they bury 70-90 cards makes it pointless...

Worst game in the planet....people say the casino edge is .07 percent.....my ass...if I break then you break I lose,...it's a 12 percent hold game to say the least...

And another bj move nobody really Knows about is your supposed to split 8s against a 10......I wouldn't do that for a million dollars

I'm in the poker department so I don't deal blackjack but everytime im walking past bj tables the dealer always got a 10 up....always playing defense....

Then there is the "pulling cards from thd sky" factor....where the dealer pulls cards from outer space to win the hand
i agree with this, everyone always claimed if you were a good BJ player the house only had 2% edge, but i always thought it was more, if it really was only 2 % they wouldn't have so many blackjack tables in those joints. the only edges i ever found in casinos was horse racing when the house booked it. i was out in the dessert betting them and got thrown out of every place when i was out there. i also had a few winning seasons betting hockey in the mid 1970's, but once you beat them they cut you back. gambling against the house is always a tough go no matter what game you play.
lamboguy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
thaskalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
I'll get more into this later but card counting is irrelevant.....8 decks where they bury 70-90 cards makes it pointless...

Worst game in the planet....people say the casino edge is .07 percent.....my ass...if I break then you break I lose,...it's a 12 percent hold game to say the least...

And another bj move nobody really Knows about is your supposed to split 8s against a 10......I wouldn't do that for a million dollars

I'm in the poker department so I don't deal blackjack but everytime im walking past bj tables the dealer always got a 10 up....always playing defense....

Then there is the "pulling cards from thd sky" factor....where the dealer pulls cards from outer space to win the hand
Come on, Whizz...get serious.

I can play practically even with the house with a simplified card-counting system that I can teach you in one day...or a half-hour if you can keep from fantasizing about horses for at least that long...

Blackjack is far from the "worst game on the planet"...and yes, you SHOULD split the eights against the dealer's 10...unless, of course, your survival depends on the outcome of this particular hand.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #5
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 16,482
Agree with Thask. When the count doesn't factor into play, ALWAYS split aces and eights.

While there's bad places to play BJ, they all aren't bad. The 8 decks isn't as important as how far the penetration goes.

Lambo- the house edge is MUCH less than 2%. If you are playing correct basic strategy, the house edge is one half of one percent.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:18 PM   #6
wiffleball whizz
Dead money
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos
Come on, Whizz...get serious.

I can play practically even with the house with a simplified card-counting system that I can teach you in one day...or a half-hour if you can keep from fantasizing about horses for at least that long...

Blackjack is far from the "worst game on the planet"...and yes, you SHOULD split the eights against the dealer's 10...unless, of course, your survival depends on the outcome of this particular hand.
Thask your crazy!!!!!!!!! It's the worst game in the house

Lamboguy is correct there are tons of bj tables for a reason....you can't play perfect and be close to even percentages...you can of they don't bury 70-90 cards.....you just can't

And baccarat being another low house edge game is bullshit....nobody wins in the game......I play and they stick me in a hole I always gotta get out of

Dice is prob the best game in the casino.....On the opening roll if a 12 don't pop there is no edge in dice....and I can overcome a 12 either way 36/1 coming out if you play boxes and hards then they will have a edge

But all those shows you see on tv that bj is a tiny house edge is bullshit lies....its a 12 percent game and that's a low number

Just think if you bust then the dealer busts you still lose....this happens too many times over 100 hands
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
proximity
Registered User
 
proximity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: pen
Posts: 4,325
whizz could surrender that 16 up here at pen and start a harness show parlay with the remaining $7.50...
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
Thask your crazy!!!!!!!!! It's the worst game in the house
Lamboguy is correct there are tons of bj tables for a reason....you can't play perfect and be close to even percentages...you can of they don't bury 70-90 cards.....you just can't

And baccarat being another low house edge game is bullshit....nobody wins in the game......I play and they stick me in a hole I always gotta get out of

Dice is prob the best game in the casino.....On the opening roll if a 12 don't pop there is no edge in dice....and I can overcome a 12 either way 36/1 coming out if you play boxes and hards then they will have a edge

But all those shows you see on tv that bj is a tiny house edge is bullshit lies....its a 12 percent game and that's a low number

Just think if you bust then the dealer busts you still lose....this happens too many times over 100 hands
No, he's right. Dice is the best game? You really need to study probabilities. And there are plenty of places to play double and even single deck blackjack - Tunica, MS, comes to mind.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM   #9
wiffleball whizz
Dead money
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity
whizz could surrender that 16 up here at pen and start a harness show parlay with the remaining $7.50...
In Foxwoods I surrendered like a moron all the time....15 against a 10 also 16 vs a 7
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
wiffleball whizz
Dead money
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
No, he's right. Dice is the best game? You really need to study probabilities. And there are plenty of places to play double and even single deck blackjack - Tunica, MS, comes to mind.
You guys can come over my house for casino night any time you want...."for fun only" I will have the best booze and anything else you want here....

Please please spare me the bj is a fair game speech.....it's only good if they don't bury the deck
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #11
traynor
Registered User
 
traynor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 6,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
You guys can come over my house for casino night any time you want...."for fun only" I will have the best booze and anything else you want here....

Please please spare me the bj is a fair game speech.....it's only good if they don't bury the deck
With all the "advice" flying by (at least I think it is supposed to be advice), one wonders if anyone actually plays blackjack seriously, or whether their experience is all from reading and playing a few hands occasionally.

For starters, how many understand that "basic strategy" (and the associated disadvantages/advantages) is optimal ONLY until the first card is dealt? "Playing basic strategy" is not something that can be done on a long-term basis with the same percentages--yet pretty much everyone pretends that it is. Including the "gurus" who admonish the wannabes to "revert to basic strategy" whenever they lose the count. Or--even more foolishly--to sit down in the middle of a shoe and regard the cards that have gone before as "undealt"--because, after all, one has not seen them, so one should pretend they remain in play.

Blackjack is a great game, and can be profitable.
traynor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 PM   #12
thaskalos
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by traynor
With all the "advice" flying by (at least I think it is supposed to be advice), one wonders if anyone actually plays blackjack seriously, or whether their experience is all from reading and playing a few hands occasionally.

For starters, how many understand that "basic strategy" (and the associated disadvantages/advantages) is optimal ONLY until the first card is dealt? "Playing basic strategy" is not something that can be done on a long-term basis with the same percentages--yet pretty much everyone pretends that it is. Including the "gurus" who admonish the wannabes to "revert to basic strategy" whenever they lose the count. Or--even more foolishly--to sit down in the middle of a shoe and regard the cards that have gone before as "undealt"--because, after all, one has not seen them, so one should pretend they remain in play.

Blackjack is a great game, and can be profitable.
Would you consider James Grosjean a serious player...or is he just a "guru"?
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Saratoga_Mike
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffleball whizz
You guys can come over my house for casino night any time you want...."for fun only" I will have the best booze and anything else you want here....

Please please spare me the bj is a fair game speech.....it's only good if they don't bury the deck
Deal me double deck and I'll use a basic 10s and others counting strategy - over the course of time, you will go broke.
Saratoga_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
Valuist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 16,482
Here's the truth on blackjack and the house advantage:

http://wizardofodds.com/games/blackjack/calculator/

As for why there's so many tables, its because blackjack is a game everybody knows. Its about the simplest table game to play.
Valuist is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #15
wiffleball whizz
Dead money
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 3,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saratoga_Mike
Deal me double deck and I'll use a basic 10s and others counting strategy - over the course of time, you will go broke.
Come on over!!!!!!!! And I'm burying 23 of the 104 cards
wiffleball whizz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Reply




Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

» Advertisement
» Current Polls
Do you use energy percentages?
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 1999 - 2022 -- PaceAdvantage.Com -- All Rights Reserved
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program
designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.