Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Contests + Other Interesting Racing Topics > Harness Racing

Old 01-18-2021, 08:35 AM   #1
Teach

"In My Life"

"In My Life"

Many, especially those in their “middle-years,” and beyond, may remember The Beatles’ hit: "In My Life."

There are places I remember…

In the mid-to-late 1960’s, I was teaching history on Long Island’s North Shore when I decided one summer afternoon to trek south to northern Delaware. I recall it was a long drive down the New Jersey Turnpike and through Philadelphia to Brandywine Raceway just north of Wilmington.

I recall arriving at Brandywine about 6 PM. What a beautiful track! I remember seeing a large pool of water in the infield.
One name that comes to mind when I think of Brandywine is the late Marv Bachrad. He also worked at Liberty Bell and Dover Downs.

The track was torn down years ago to make way for a huge retail outlet.

All my life, though some have changed…

One of the first tracks I ever visited was Suffolk Downs in East Boston/Revere MA. It was thoroughbred track that used to run a 30-day fall harness meet. I would in the late ‘60’s teach two years at East Boston High School. As the school was located on a hill, I could practically see the track (I could definitely see nearby Logan Airport).

Many was the day that I'd leave the school building in the late afternoon and head directly to Suffolk for an evening of harness racing. What a great way to unwind and to top off the day (a cold beer, a hamburger, and harness racing). I recall that Harry Burright and Bob Farrington drove there. Gil Levine, the sound-effects man, would come east from Illinois’ Sporstman’s Park (a horse named Union Special: “Woo, Woo!”) to call the Suffolk harness cards. I remember one night there was a horse named Junior Goose. Levine makes “honk, honk” sounds. Then there’s: “Ivan Chief is lookin’ Susan Knight (pause) ‘right in the eye.’” There is no longer racing of any kind at Suffolk Downs.

Some forever not for better…

Another track I'd occasionally visit was Hinsdale Raceway in southwestern NH. It was a difficult place to get to from where I lived in the Boston area. You could head west on the Massachusetts Turnpike and then swing north on I-91 (about an hour north of Springfield, MA). Once you crossed into NH you were almost there. It was nearly directly east of Brattleboro, VT.

The one thing I remember most about Hinsdale was that when I first saw it, I thought it looked like somebody's “backyard.” It had that “small” feel to it. The grandstand looked like it couldn't have seated more than a few hundred people; yet actually, 3,500 patrons. There was good racing – mostly local drivers, trainers and owners. I only visited Hinsdale on a handful of occasions; yet, I thoroughly enjoyed each visit.

As I later read, the first race ever run at Hinsdale was on August 14, 1958. The winning horse was Stormy Spirit. The winning time: 2:18.

By the mid-1970’s, Hinsdale had added greyhound racing (less expensive). Slowly but surely, dog racing would take over.

Some 27-years later, Hinsdale Raceway would run its last harness racing program: July 28, 1985.

By December, 2008, Hinsdale Greyhound Park closed its doors.
The last I heard Hinsdale had opened an OTB facility that was started by Billy Faucher (he passed about two years ago; I can still remember his red driving colors).

There was talk of re-opening a track for live harness racing, but that “window” has apparently closed.

Some have gone and some remain…

Oh, my favorite was Foxboro Raceway. It was called by different names at different times: Bay State Raceway and also New England Harness Raceway.

I saw my first race there in 1958. I was just 15-years old. I have to tell you I loved the place. It wasn't so much the clubhouse, the grandstand or the racetrack itself, but the people who worked there and the people who went there. There was also the drivers and the horses.
I would later work there as publicist, back-up race announcer, and tip-sheet handicapper.

As for drivers, I had the pleasure of talking with Clifford "Tug" Boyd, Leroy Copeland, Alfred "Bucky" Day, Bert Beckwith and his brother, Willard, Ted Wing, and a host of others. My favorite horse was a roan gelding named Ivan Chief.

As I think back to the ol’ days, when the meet started up in June, it was like homecoming-weekend at college or a camp reunion. It was simply wonderful. I had a chance to renew acquaintances with the many people who worked there and the dozens of harness racing fans. It was just a wonderful time filled with beautiful memories.

All these places had their moments…

Then, there was Roosevelt Raceway on Long Island. I visited there frequently when I taught on “The Island.” What a beautiful place. So many levels. It seemed that there were glass windows and partitions, everywhere. I liked the track's buffet. As I think back, some of the best drivers in the world campaigned there. I particularly remember Lucien Fontaine. What a masterful driver he was.

One of things that stands out in my mind was how packed the place was. Thousands and thousands of people would make their way east on the Long Island Expressway. It was a mecca for harness racing. Now, it's a large shopping complex.

With lovers and friends I can still recall…

I was only there once...in the mid-1960s. It had opened a couple years earlier in 1963. The thing I remember most about it was that they ran on Sundays. I think it was only track that did so in that era. I remember it was located in a little town called Pownal, VT, not far from Bennington.

As I recall, desperate for harness racing action, my friends and I drove up there on a Sunday. I don't remember much about my visit, save for the fact that it was a long ride and that Dick Manzi of the Manzi clan came over from Monticello to campaign there.

Some are dead and some are living; in my life I loved… them all

Now, that's all that's left in my neck of the woods is Plainridge Racecourse (even Rockingham Park in southern NH has closed its doors). Yet Plainridge needed an infusion of funds to survive. The state came to its rescue by making it a racino. The purse structure has increased markedly over the years. Those purses have attracted top-name horses and drivers.

Yet as I think back, how I miss the ol' days. I know I can't bring them back, but I can certainly reflect upon them. Warm memories. Wonderful memories. They’re like “lost” loves that only remain now in the recesses of my mind.

In My Life, I Loved Them All.

"Walt, make a 'mental bet' and lose your mind." R.N.S.

"The important thing is what I think of myself."
"David and Lisa" (1962)

Teach is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-18-2021, 01:29 PM   #2
Boomer

Teach, you are the greatest.

As a fellow track nomad, I have been to them all. The memories you bring back are special. Though I do have to admit to missing harness racing at Suffolk.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2021, 11:02 AM   #3
king kong

Boomer

Teach is the great memory provoker. AtSuffolk I hope you missed all of Harold Story stiff jobs at that meet.
king kong is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-19-2021, 12:31 PM   #4
Boomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by king kong View Post
Teach is the great memory provoker. AtSuffolk I hope you missed all of Harold Story stiff jobs at that meet.
Not at Suffolk...But plenty at Freehold for Mr. Story
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 01-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #5
grant miller

oh, teach!-my memories are from buffalo raceway!-i got leave from the marines in jan of 88-scored tix for the bills game,& went to hamburg ny on the way back home-(corning n.y.)-fell in love with harness! when i got out of the corps, i would play buff-& batavia at my o.t.b.,again corning n.y.-i had a few teachers that helped me out-they told me to NOT to play any boston racing ,cause whitey bolgers crew would set up races!
grant miller is offline   Reply With Quote Reply