Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

Old 07-14-2019, 03:14 AM   #1
Actor
Librocubicularist

Dick Mitchell Program

In a thread titled Why Learn Basic Programming in the Off Topic Computers forum highnote posted a BASIC language computer program published by Dick Mitchell in one of his books. I recently purchased one of Mitchell's books titled Winning Thoroughbred Strategies. In that book Mitchell references the program and reveals that it was published in an earlier book titled A Winning Thoroughbred Strategy. I question the wisdom of an author using such similar titles for two separate books on the same subject. Whatever.

While I was able to obtain Winning Thoroughbred Strategies for under $10 Amazon was asking over $80 for A Winning Thoroughbred Strategy, a little too rich for my blood. The price later came down to under $30 and in a moment of weakness I bought it. Sure enough the program is in there.

I took the time to type the program into my own BASIC interpreter, comparing it to highnote's version as I went. Notable is that highnote's version lacks nh$(20) in line 20. Also notable is line 10

10 B$ = chr$(7)

Ascii 7 is the BELL, sometimes called the BEEP. Printing B$ should cause the computer to beep but in my computer it does not. Whatever.

The problem with the program is its 100% manual data entry, stemming form its 1984 roots that pretty much preceded BRIS. I would like to rewrite it to read the BRIS files but I cannot figure out the algorithm it uses, and believe me it is complex. The program has zero REM statements.

Last edited by PaceAdvantage; 07-16-2019 at 02:04 AM.
Actor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #2
headhawg
crusty old guy

I don't think the algorithm is complex per se. It looks quite simple mathematically. To make things easier to decipher code-wise I would recommend that you determine what the major variables are/do, and then give them logical names. For example d1 (d1=2640) looks to be the 1st call distance in feet, and the es() array looks to store early speed calculations. You don't have to change the temporary variables like "i" (i, j, and k were typically used as counter variables back in the day), but you can if it makes things clearer for you.

I believe that you will be able to figure out what the code is doing once you have logical variable names, and then it should be a piece of cake to program it. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:15 AM   #3
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Is this the program that takes speed and class and makes a power rating? I asked about the formula Mitchell used to put the two factors on the same scale, and it was headhawg who kindly helped me out a few years ago.

I just put the stuff into Excel and get the ratings.
Old 07-14-2019, 10:25 AM   #4
headhawg
crusty old guy

It might be, Tom. I looked at Winning Thoroughbred Strategies and it made reference to BASIC code in Thoroughbred Handicapping As An Investment. Maybe that's the book Actor was referring to? If so, he could just download Handifast and use that. I coded a slightly modified version of Mitchell's class consistency, pace/speed, and the power number for HF.

Last edited by headhawg; 07-14-2019 at 10:28 AM. Reason: formatting
headhawg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #5
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhawg View Post
It might be, Tom. I looked at Winning Thoroughbred Strategies and it made reference to BASIC code in Thoroughbred Handicapping As An Investment. Maybe that's the book Actor was referring to? If so, he could just download Handifast and use that. I coded a slightly modified version of Mitchell's class consistency, pace/speed, and the power number for HF.
The book I'm referring to is:

A Winning Thoroughbred Strategy (1984)

compare that to

Winning Thoroughbred Strategies (1989)

The only differences between the two titles is (1)the earlier title begins with "A Winning... ", the later title begins with simply "Winning ..." (2) the earlier title ends with " ...Strategy" (singular), the later title ends with "...Strategies" (plural).

A Winning Thoroughbred Strategy (singular) makes reference to an earlier book, Positive Expectation Handicapping, in a manner which tacitly assumes that the reader has said opus in hand, i.e., to understand the strategy you seem to need both books. The book is poorly written and I don't recommend it.
Old 07-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #6
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Does reproducing that program code violate copyright law?
Old 07-15-2019, 02:32 AM   #7
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Here we go again......

If you cant read/program ...its just gibberish....

Just play dumb...I can help you

Last edited by mikesal57; 07-15-2019 at 02:35 AM.
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
ubercapper

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Here we go again......

If you cant read/program ...its just gibberish....

Just play dumb...I can help you
It appears there may be a lack of understanding about the DMCA and why it is important anything which can potentially infringe on a copyright must be addressed quickly.

As a website administrator/owner, PA is bound to abide by the DMCA. The DMCA holds websites responsible for indirect, as well as direct, copyright violations.

Not only must PA respond to DMCA Takedown Notices for copyrighted material placed on the site, he must also respond to DMCA Takedown Notices about links to sites, or posts which may also infringe on copyright. Only then is PA eligible for Safe Harbor immunity for claims of copyright infringement.

PA doesn't have to wait to get the DMCA Takedown Notice from a copyright holder. As he's doing in this case he can be proactive and avoid receiving a DMCA Takedown Notice in the first place by asking the very legitimate question whether something may be violating copyright. If it is then it can be removed before a copyright holder takes further action.

Personally, I appreciate the fact PA is being prudent not only because it affects legitimate copyright holder's interest but also because I would hate to see the site shut down.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
It's probably a good idea to delete the program code from the post. It won't upset me.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #10
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actor View Post

compare that to

The only differences between the two titles is (1)the earlier title begins with "A Winning... ", the later title begins with simply "Winning ..." (2) the earlier title ends with " ...Strategy" (singular), the later title ends with "...Strategies" (plural).

A Winning Thoroughbred Strategy (singular) makes reference to an earlier book, Positive Expectation Handicapping, in a manner which tacitly assumes that the reader has said opus in hand, i.e., to understand the strategy you seem to need both books. The book is poorly written and I don't recommend it.
The book I found the program I used was a small white paperback.
The other was a larger hardcover.
Old 07-15-2019, 11:15 AM   #11
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

I agree - why take the chance?
I seriously doubt anyone would bother with an old dos program in this day and age, but not worth the risk. Who knows what some people would do for a nickel if they could get it.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:54 PM   #12
Actor
Librocubicularist

Fair Use

"Pursuant to 17 U.S. Code § 107, certain uses of copyrighted material 'for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright.'"

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ial-30100.html
Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #13
Light
Veteran

Quote:

I would like to rewrite it to read the BRIS files but I cannot figure out the algorithm it uses
But is it even worth it to do that? What success rate does it get? I doubt it is successful asking very basic info on a horse which most BASIC programs did.The software that emerged after BASIC were able to do much more.
Light is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 02:34 PM   #14
JJMartin

Quote:

compare that to

Have you considered VBA?
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-15-2019, 05:40 PM   #15
Actor
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin View Post
Have you considered VBA?
VBA??