Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 11-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #1
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Presidential Pardons

Maybe I'll get more responses from the posters here than my friends of various political views elsewhere.

Can a President (in this case Obama) legally pardon someone for a crimes and (mis-)deeds that they have not been charged with (yet)? Obama can only pardon Hillary, and his staff heads (CIA, Justice Department, FBI) while he remains president.
Steve 'StatMan' is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #2
chadk66

you can't pardon someone without them being convicted.
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #3
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadk66
That is in line what I have been thinking. Sets up very interesting quandries if so, doesn't it?
Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 AM   #4
DSB

Quote:
Ford pardoned Nixon without a conviction.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 09:49 AM   #5
davew

Quote:
I think it is just accused of a crime - my understanding is he could pardon the Clintons of any wrongdoing related to the Clinton Foundation money laundering / influrnce peddling / donation fraud. I am pretty sure Nixon was pardoned before convicted.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepre...Guidelines.htm
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 09:55 AM   #6
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB
You are correct. I read Wikipedia for more info. He was pardoned for all crimes that may have been committed against the United States during his tenure as President.

OK, what about any crimes that are of a different nature, against fellow citizens, etc. I'm thinking about some of the Contents of the Emails that have been leaked so far.

Ford was not popular for that pardon, and Obama won't be poplar if he pardons Hilary (he was mainly popular with Hillary's people anyway.)
Old 11-09-2016, 10:06 AM   #7
delayjf

It maybe a case that the Clintons are pardoned and live out there lives in Chappaquiddick, but the Clinton Foundation is decimated, maybe some officials within the Foundation go down. Uma for example.
delayjf is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
DSB

Here's what I'd do if I were Trump:

I'd clean house at the DoJ and replace Comey. Put honest and non-political people in.

Then I'd tell the heads of those depts. "I will not interfere with anything you deem worthy of investigation or indictment. Do your jobs."

Then let the chips fall where they may.

My feeling is that the rank and file of the FBI want their reputations back and would look into the dealings of the Clintons with a fine tooth comb.

If Obama wants to grant her some sort of "blanket pardon" for anything she's done, then that would be on him. He's already going to go down as one of, if not the worst, president in history already. If he'd like that to go on his record, so be it.

I'm not sure he'd do if for that reason.

He might, however, if he thought that looking into her dealings might implicate himself.
DSB is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
PICSIX
Mike Schultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 'StatMan'
Maybe I'll get more responses from the posters here than my friends of various political views elsewhere.

Can a President (in this case Obama) legally pardon someone for a crimes and (mis-)deeds that they have not been charged with (yet)? Obama can only pardon Hillary, and his staff heads (CIA, Justice Department, FBI) while he remains president.
Obama may be so pissed at the Clinton's and Hillary's inability to pull this Election off that a pardon is the last thing on his mind.

We have short-term memories; the Clinton's won't be indicted for any wrong doing(s). I personally believe they should (be indicted).

Last edited by PICSIX; 11-09-2016 at 11:52 AM.
PICSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #10
MONEY

Obama can only pardon Hillary from Federal charges.
Hillary is also under investigation in several states, Obama can't stop those investigations.
MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
LottaKash

A picture may be worth a thousand words:

Old 11-09-2016, 03:56 PM   #12
chadk66

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB
True but he was charged. So it's probably having to be charged. If that POS does that he should be hung
chadk66 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 04:18 PM   #13
Tor Ekman

Trump will pardon Tom Brady for Deflategate
Tor Ekman is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2016, 04:26 PM   #14
Steve 'StatMan'
Traded By Cubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PICSIX
Obama may be so pissed at the Clinton's and Hillary's inability to pull this Election off that a pardon is the last thing on his mind.

We have short-term memories; the Clinton's won't be indicted for any wrong doing(s). I personally believe they should (be indicted).
I agree with you on both!
Old 11-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #15
davew

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSB
Here's what I'd do if I were Trump:

I'd clean house at the DoJ and replace Comey. Put honest and non-political people in.

Then I'd tell the heads of those depts. "I will not interfere with anything you deem worthy of investigation or indictment. Do your jobs."

Then let the chips fall where they may.

My feeling is that the rank and file of the FBI want their reputations back and would look into the dealings of the Clintons with a fine tooth comb.

If Obama wants to grant her some sort of "blanket pardon" for anything she's done, then that would be on him. He's already going to go down as one of, if not the worst, president in history already. If he'd like that to go on his record, so be it.

I'm not sure he'd do if for that reason.

He might, however, if he thought that looking into her dealings might implicate himself.
Comey has a 10 year term starting in 2013 - unless he resigns or commits suicide by shooting himself twice in the head or cutting off his arms and legs and wrapping himself in a plastic bag in some park, he is around for another 6 years.
davew is offline   Reply With Quote Reply