Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 07-01-2014, 10:41 PM   #16
HuggingTheRail
BC Canada

Some regions, they may have just been waiting for the race to fill....
HuggingTheRail is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-01-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
pandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by therussmeister
He needs to find a race for non-winners of one in the last 5 years.

Exactly.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #18
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
But I'm guessing he had fun romping around the track . . . kinda like when the White Sox brought Minnie Miñoso back for one last game at age 54
I remember that game! Don't recall what he did but it was a publicity stunt.

Same with Satchel Page, as I recall.
Dave Schwartz is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 01:17 PM   #19
therussmeister
Out-of-town Jasper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackS
Of course you could look at like this- The horses feeding and vet bills are probably the same as the 4-5yo in the next stall. Horses like people have to earn their way through this world. If the owner is an unknown, the horse maybe someones pet and an automatic toss. If the horse has been entered by a respected trainer he may deserve a bet although not at 3 or 5-1.
Trained by William Grainger for owner Grainger Farms. Mr. Grainger's record this year is 3-0-0-0. Before this year his last starter was in 2007.

~Alan Watts
therussmeister is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 02:28 PM   #20
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz
I remember that game! Don't recall what he did but it was a publicity stunt.

Same with Satchel Page, as I recall.
Minoso played three games in 1976 and then had a couple at-bats in 1980 (at age 54) so he could say he'd played in five decades (he debuted in 1949). In 1976 he did get one hit in eight at-bats. He also got one at-bat in the minors in 1993 and again in 2003 (at age 77), so I guess he's up to seven decades.

Paige threw three shutout innings for the Kansas City A's at age 58.

Good memory Dave.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #21
JohnGalt1

I have no problem with this as long as the horse healthy and approved by a vet.

What I shake my head at is anybody betting real money on no chance horses like Rick's Natural Star to win the BC Classic and this one.
JohnGalt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-02-2014, 10:48 PM   #22
iceknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGalt1
I have no problem with this as long as the horse healthy and approved by a vet.

What I shake my head at is anybody betting real money on no chance horses like Rick's Natural Star to win the BC Classic and this one.
I looked it up - that's a gem!! It was BC Turf -Gr I, but nonetheless your point is absolutely taken. I am surprised (no completely SHOCKED) they entered the horse into BC after his long lay off and straight from the 3.5k claiming ranks at Ruidoso!
What is worse is that someone entered him into a 870 yd QH Race after the BC debacle... is that even possible?
iceknight is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2014, 12:35 AM   #23
CosmicWon

There's a 13yo mare entered in R6 ($4k n1y) at ELP Friday. The old girl did the little 4race Ellis stint last yr and ran 2nd by a head 3rd off the bench but was off the board in her other races.

I remember being concerned for her opening day last year but she was ultimately sound and fine though I'll not speculate on her 3 yr layoff from 2009-2012...

She still has no recorded works in 2014--and didn't know about the 13yo retirement "rule"? for tbreds--so wouldn't be surprised if she's a scratch. (Frankly, if there's forced retirement age from racing maybe one for breeding would be appropriate too because pregnant 23yo mares seems unsavory but I digress.)

I like cheering for the old hickory war horses as long as they're sound and not raced to the point of exploitation or disregard. We have 18yo horses jumping 5'5" in the Olympics and no one bats an eye.

It'll all about how well managed and cared for a horse is and I think Texas Gold Digger on Friday is more pet than anything and won't be running if, as we'd say at Hagyard, she's ADR ("ain't doin right").
CosmicWon is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #24
nijinski

CE had five races between 2008 and 2009 . The last was in a 35,000 cl .

He stopped in this last race while in for a 5,000 tag . Stinks to me not
the kind of racing I care to support .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 AM   #25
nijinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenegal
There's a 13yo mare entered in R6 ($4k n1y) at ELP Friday. The old girl did the little 4race Ellis stint last yr and ran 2nd by a head 3rd off the bench but was off the board in her other races.

I remember being concerned for her opening day last year but she was ultimately sound and fine though I'll not speculate on her 3 yr layoff from 2009-2012...

She still has no recorded works in 2014--and didn't know about the 13yo retirement "rule"? for tbreds--so wouldn't be surprised if she's a scratch. (Frankly, if there's forced retirement age from racing maybe one for breeding would be appropriate too because pregnant 23yo mares seems unsavory but I digress.)

I like cheering for the old hickory war horses as long as they're sound and not raced to the point of exploitation or disregard. We have 18yo horses jumping 5'5" in the Olympics and no one bats an eye.

It'll all about how well managed and cared for a horse is and I think Texas Gold Digger on Friday is more pet than anything and won't be running if, as we'd say at Hagyard, she's ADR ("ain't doin right").
She was in foal during her layoff .
nijinski is offline   Reply With Quote Reply