Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 09-23-2018, 01:33 PM   #31
anotherCAfan

Sarge, Vic, Rich Perloff, and Kurt Hoover are some of my favorites.
anotherCAfan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 02:18 PM   #32
FlintAtTheFetlock

Matt, Rich, and Kurt give best insights IMO. Don't understand any of the knocks on Matt. Yes, he and others seem awkward teamed up w/Brittney, but I think more generational and a matter of style.

Never got the Sarge thing as a TV personality, but he seems like a smart, good guy. Haven't noticed him pulling in many Pick 4's or Pick 5's but will nail a horse that I never saw (bombs).

chasing the bone, flies at the nostrils plunder
- IA @1978
FlintAtTheFetlock is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #33
Nitro

Quote:
Originally Posted by the little guy View Post
Matt is extremely knowledgable and well prepared. Does that not count for a lot? He's also a personality. All of these things make him good at his job. The fact that you are talking about him means he's doing his job well.
It’s certainly refreshing to read something positive about Matt. Your assessment couldn’t be more factual and true than some of the other nonsense posted on this thread. Isn’t it always amazing how some offer unwarranted criticism as if they could do a better job.

You handicapping gurus don’t have to agree with anything a TV announcer has to say about their selections or play suggestions, but keep in mind these guys are also ambassadors of a game that can certainly use some positive PR. It’s something unfortunately that’s lacking on the PA forums. So who can we criticize for that?
I suspect that much of the pessimistic commentary is a reflection of how the game has impacted the bank roll and the resulting attitude.
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 03:15 PM   #34
turfnsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitro View Post
It’s certainly refreshing to read something positive about Matt. Your assessment couldn’t be more factual and true than some of the other nonsense posted on this thread. Isn’t it always amazing how some offer unwarranted criticism as if they could do a better job.

You handicapping gurus don’t have to agree with anything a TV announcer has to say about their selections or play suggestions, but keep in mind these guys are also ambassadors of a game that can certainly use some positive PR. It’s something unfortunately that’s lacking on the PA forums. So who can we criticize for that?
I suspect that much of the pessimistic commentary is a reflection of how the game has impacted the bank roll and the resulting attitude.
Huh? The person that started this thread stated nothing about his handicapping ability, just that he talked over his colleague. I then stated he does it all the time, and I mentioned nothing about his handicapping ability either.

I do not think that is "unwarranted criticism" at all.
turfnsport is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #35
Tom
The Voice of Reason!

Quote:
First of all, I am a customer of the game it is not my role to provide PR for it. I don't get paid to do their work for them.

Criticize them for not earning it.

My betting has nothing at all to do with my opinion of Matt.
I never listen to his picks. I try not to listen him period.

He may well be doing his job fantastically, but, I am not his boss and MY criteria for whether or not not I enjoy listening to him has nothing to do with his job or how well he does it.

I think he is like listening to a 10 year old more often than not.
Maybe a smart 10 year old, who can pick winners.

But still a 10 year old.

Where does everyone get the idea that we are supposed to give TVG a pass because their mission is not to entertain the customers? I pay to get TVG on my service.

So, maybe he does work for me after all.

Last edited by Tom; 09-23-2018 at 04:57 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #36
pandy

Quote:
Matt is extremely knowledgable and well prepared. Does that not count for a lot? He's also a personality. All of these things make him good at his job. The fact that you are talking about him means he's doing his job well.
Very good point. Being animated, like you are, by the way, and Matt is, helps keep people from falling asleep. Some people are made for TV, some aren't. Like Andy Beyer. As a writer, he's one of the all-time greats. On TV, he makes watching paint dry seem exciting.
pandy is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 06:10 PM   #37
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by how cliche View Post
my problem with matt carruthers is he appears to be drunk on the air. the next time any of you are setting up to grind for a day, note how he seems cogent and lucid at the beginning of his shift. contrast that with how he looks and acts the end of it.
Nonsense
Old 09-23-2018, 06:20 PM   #38
v j stauffer

Quote:
I agree with all of that. Would add Matt is an original TVG personality. Meaning he's been on the air since 1999.

Almost 20 years in and he's ALWAYS prepared. He's ALWAYS energetic. He ALWAYS give the feel that's he's engaged, excited and happy to be on the air.

4 hours of live television requires a lot of prep time. Rule of thumb is the same time as the shift. That's pretty much the way it works for me. Four hour shift. Four hours to be ready.

Don't do the work. Gloss over. Phone it in. Do it on the fly and the show suffers mightily.

On a personal note I can say of all the people I've worked with on TVG Matt is the most consistent of character. Always upbeat. Always respectful. Looks for the good in others. Fine family man.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:38 PM   #39
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandy View Post
Very good point. Being animated, like you are, by the way, and Matt is, helps keep people from falling asleep. Some people are made for TV, some aren't. Like Andy Beyer. As a writer, he's one of the all-time greats. On TV, he makes watching paint dry seem exciting.
I have seen Beyer on TV several times...and I find myself hanging on his every word. A Beyer/Serling TV segment that I saw a few years back remains as the single most enjoyable horse racing commentary that I can ever recall. I might be in the minority, but I don't much value the "glibness" of the TV hosts when I watch a horse racing show. My "entertainment" comes from the genuine handicapping knowledge that the hosts possess...and the sincerity with which they relay it to the viewer. Beyer has SUBSTANCE...and I'll take that over "style" ANY day!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #40
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I have seen Beyer on TV several times...and I find myself hanging on his every word. A Beyer/Serling TV segment that I saw a few years back remains as the single most enjoyable horse racing commentary that I can ever recall. I might be in the minority, but I don't much value the "glibness" of the TV hosts when I watch a horse racing show. My "entertainment" comes from the genuine handicapping knowledge that the hosts possess...and the sincerity with which they relay it to the viewer. Beyer has SUBSTANCE...and I'll take that over "style" ANY day!
Aaron Vercruysse and Jeff Siegel on the now defunct HRTV used to provide some good handicapping back and forth, one of the downsides when TVG bought that network out was the two of them basically disappearing from broadcast television.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 08:14 PM   #41
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
Aaron Vercruysse and Jeff Siegel on the now defunct HRTV used to provide some good handicapping back and forth, one of the downsides when TVG bought that network out was the two of them basically disappearing from broadcast television.
Jeff and Aaron are terrific. Their work is still available on XBTV. However, my preference is you watch TVG. We're pretty good too.

See you on the air this coming Fri, Sat & Sun.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #42
metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Jeff and Aaron are terrific. Their work is still available on XBTV. However, my preference is you watch TVG. We're pretty good too.

See you on the air this coming Fri, Sat & Sun.
I do check in on them on XBTV occasionally, especially on the bigger race days.

Any idea who you will be paired with next weekend? With Santa Anita opening kind of hoping you get paired with Kurt Hoover at least one afternoon.
metro is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 09:52 PM   #43
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I do check in on them on XBTV occasionally, especially on the bigger race days.

Any idea who you will be paired with next weekend? With Santa Anita opening kind of hoping you get paired with Kurt Hoover at least one afternoon.
Kurt is fabulous. Worked with him many times at Hollywood Park. Be thrilled to work with him anytime.

Friday: Solo on TVG2 from 1:00 to 4:30

Saturday: Solo on TVG2 from 1:00 to 4:00 then what's called The Bridge on TVG from 6:00 to 7:00.

Sunday: Solo on TVG2 from 3:00 to & 7:30

Send me a tweet during any of those shows and I'll say someting, probably nice, about PA.
Old 09-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #44
VigorsTheGrey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Kurt is fabulous. Worked with him many times at Hollywood Park. Be thrilled to work with him anytime.

Friday: Solo on TVG2 from 1:00 to 4:30

Saturday: Solo on TVG2 from 1:00 to 4:00 then what's called The Bridge on TVG from 6:00 to 7:00.

Sunday: Solo on TVG2 from 3:00 to & 7:30

Send me a tweet during any of those shows and I'll say someting, probably nice, about PA.
TVG comes in on my cable...but doesn’t mention that it is TVG1...how is TVG2 accessed on cable..?
VigorsTheGrey is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-23-2018, 09:59 PM   #45
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
Here ya go Gus...

ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: