Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: Which handicapping software has given you the best ROI?
Horse Street Handicapper 22 16.79%
HTR 25 19.08%
Jcapper 11 8.40%
Other 73 55.73%
Voters: 131. This poll is closed

Old 10-05-2018, 01:29 PM   #31
oughtoh

My problem with it was if I uploaded it in the hotel room, and then turn computer off, when I got to the sports book I have to reload it again. Some of their wifi is not the best.
oughtoh is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 08:58 PM   #32
JJMartin

Maybe the poll question would be better posed as:

If you have Software ABC, What is your avg ROI?
And then provide several options for ranges.

Otherwise software XYZ might appear to be garbage but only because not that many people used it.
JJMartin is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 09:31 PM   #33
UnifiedTheory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMartin View Post
Maybe the poll question would be better posed as:

If you have Software ABC, What is your avg ROI?
And then provide several options for ranges.

Otherwise software XYZ might appear to be garbage but only because not that many people used it.

Excellent point. I will keep that in mind for future polls.
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-06-2018, 11:36 PM   #34
jimmyb

I've been using this for about a month, and yes, there surely is a learning curve but worth the effort IMO. As another poster stated, it is a bargain.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-07-2018, 06:14 AM   #35
incoming

I'm not a quick horse user. I was a quick dog user for at least 5 years and I am familiar with Mike Groves work. Quick dog was also very quirky with a very long learning curve. I do remember a few years back that a QH user took the time to list many of the quirks, the post should be in the archives. Mike Groves is very helpful about his software programs. I would contact him and ask for a report of any bugs that haven't been repaired and any information he has on hand that might help.
incoming is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 02:32 PM   #36
Sea Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Pardon me, but you sound like a shill. And not just because your very first post is about this software (though that helps....a lot!)

If I remember correctly, Mike Groves (Quickhorse) was an authorized advertiser here not that long ago. Why would he bother to shill his software after that?

The free data from Quickhorse doesn't need Equibase authorization. It doesn't use an Equibase product for its data, and its ratings are all home-made. Mr. Groves has been doing the same exact thing for many years, and if it was against Equibase's terms of service, they would have shut him down a long time ago.

Now before I get accused of being a shill, I'll offer my own review of QuickHorse, which isn't favorable.

It offers free data (ongoing for the price of the yearly subscription, also the entire data set can be downloaded with the 30 day trial). The user can also use Brisnet "single" files, which the user has to supply, in order to get some Brisnet ratings instead of home-brewed ones.

The software is very pedestrian. It's a crude reinvention of several old wheels. The software comes with several pre-built "columns" which are simplified uses of one factor or another, and some "methods" that are comglamerations of said columns. For personal systems, a simplified version of Reverse Polish Notation is used to input personal systems/columns/methods. Users can input differentials between column ratings to achieve a higher win percentage. Testing is done on a track-by-track basis. There's no way that I ever found to test multiple tracks at once.

The net result of all of this is that the free version will achieve a modest win percentage, and the ROI with the free data will be in the range of 15-25% loss on almost everything. I tried 90 days of BRIS files, and that improved the win percentage some, but the ROI seldom got better than a 15% loss. In other words, the software sucks for making money. It's a nice toy for those who want to fool around with their own systems or those provided, and test them by track over a long period of time, but it isn't a tool to use for profitable play, and it isn't close.

Mr. Groves has another product, for greyhounds, that uses the same interface and pulls data from freely available greyhound programs. It's known as Quickdog. That software does better, mainly because there's virtually no competition for it, but it also has trouble reaching profitability, since pools are small and shrinking every year, and almost everybody who still seriously plays greyhounds is using the software.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-07-2018, 10:26 PM   #37
jimmyb

I started using the quick horse in September. After the 30 day trial, decided to go for the year. I spent a good month getting aquainted with the software. On the 19th of October, Using the free data, I started a test $250.00 bankroll, spot playing to win. I started with $5.00 win bets and have increased it to $10.00. The bankroll now stands at $502.65

It's too early for excitement but it holds potential.

Last edited by jimmyb; 11-07-2018 at 10:28 PM.
jimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-09-2018, 12:18 PM   #38
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hero View Post
If I remember correctly, Mike Groves (Quickhorse) was an authorized advertiser here not that long ago. Why would he bother to shill his software after that?

The free data from Quickhorse doesn't need Equibase authorization. It doesn't use an Equibase product for its data, and its ratings are all home-made. Mr. Groves has been doing the same exact thing for many years, and if it was against Equibase's terms of service, they would have shut him down a long time ago.

The data that is being provided was derived from a source such as DRF, BRIS, Equibase, TrackMaster, HDW or another authorized reseller.

Every authorized reseller has "Terms of Use," "Terms and Conditions" and/or a "Subscriber Agreement" which specifically states the data is for personal use only and cannot be redistributed. Anything other than personal use requires permission, which means a license.

Just because someone hasn't been shut down does not mean they are not violating the agreements they entered into when they obtained the data.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #39
UnifiedTheory

Interesting Input - Thanks Everyone!

I appreciate the opinions and test results very much.

I've since moved on to the RDSS software which in my humble opinion is much better software with a much more enjoyable learning curve.

Happy trails!
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-17-2018, 01:07 PM   #40
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Hero View Post
Not that I recall...if he was, it was a LONG time ago....
Old 11-25-2018, 11:14 PM   #41
Sea Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Not that I recall...if he was, it was a LONG time ago....
It was a while back. By his posts (username quickhorse) he must have bought advertising for 2015.
Sea Hero is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: