Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > Handicapping Software

View Poll Results: Which handicapping software has given you the best ROI?
Horse Street Handicapper 22 16.79%
HTR 25 19.08%
Jcapper 11 8.40%
Other 73 55.73%
Voters: 131. This poll is closed

Old 09-20-2018, 06:30 AM   #16
biggestal99

Pace-view platinum is number one for laying horses.

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 08:28 AM   #17
mikesal57
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

Allan

My God....you are one sick dude.........

Mike
mikesal57 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:18 AM   #18
Mr.XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesal57 View Post
Can you export all their data to a spreadsheet?
Yes sir.
Also, those who are adept at scripting n databases (I'm not), can change / create new types of queries, and the various columns within the program.
Mr.XXX is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:25 AM   #19
castaway01

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggestal99 View Post

Allan
We know you like the exchange Allan, you've said it 10,000 times, but these details about your personal life are going too far. Keep it behind closed doors.
castaway01 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 AM   #20
Mr.XXX

It's free to try full featured 30 days, can even ask for a second 30 days.
MIGHT use if for years before learning it completely.
$95 yearly best bargain in horse racing.
Old 09-21-2018, 10:27 AM   #21
UnifiedTheory

Cool RDSS vs HTR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckMark View Post
Welcome to Pace Advantage! In a HONEST REVIEW I think you should not buy that software. Tried and was difficult to put in the work for all the different categories that the software offered and if you want to check out my results for it I did use it recently at Belmont and found only 2 winners and a few place horses. It’s up to you if you want to put in the work for it but if you want to try a much better software, you should try RDSS. Ted and I have went back a forth for all the questions I had and I have had success with it too! Again, up to you man!

Thanks for your reply CheckMark.

I actually decided to try HTR. I've only been checking out HTR software since yesterday so I've got a lot left to discover. And Ken has be giving me great customer service and terrific support.

I'm still on the fence though. I'm starting to wonder how HTR compares to RDSS or if I should forget both of them and buy HSH before the price skyrockets to $1600 by Oct 1/2018?

Thoughts?
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #22
CheckMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified_Theory View Post
Thanks for your reply CheckMark.

I actually decided to try HTR. I've only been checking out HTR software since yesterday so I've got a lot left to discover. And Ken has be giving me great customer service and terrific support.

I'm still on the fence though. I'm starting to wonder how HTR compares to RDSS or if I should forget both of them and buy HSH before the price skyrockets to $1600 by Oct 1/2018?

Thoughts?

Well, I have tried both which is great news. HTR has different rankings like Pedigree, Jockey/Trainer rankings, KRating, few others, it was a sort of simple way to handicap, but I enjoyed it, just wanted to switch since I was in school! The reason I have RDSS is that Ted gave me a trial run for it and gave it to me to test out and pick races on my own The only difference is that RDSS is based on the Sartin Methodology, which is determining the horses velocity, pace and incremental energy, disbursement and deceleration. In my opinion, RDSS is a slight better because a) you can easily download the data straight from the software and 2) Ted is a AWESOME teacher with his knowing of the software and also if you need help he is there! Take whatever you like and are comfortable with! Good luck sir!

PS. To get the software data off of trackmaster, it costs (for 20 downloads) the year price is $300.00, and for the unlimited plan for the year costs $1,200. So the price difference is $400 cheaper with RDSS.

Last edited by CheckMark; 09-21-2018 at 12:19 PM.
CheckMark is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 04:41 PM   #23
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
Look man, I didn't create this thread. Blame the OP.

This line in an earlier post in the thread "Program scrapes free data and gives it away as database" points to a clear violation of the terms of use of the web sites from which the information is obtained.

Most if not all sports web sites, including those in the racing industry, contains language the information is for personal, noncommercial use and may not be transferred or distributed in any way, as well as stating any use of robots, spiders and scrapers are prohibited.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 06:04 PM   #24
Mr.XXX

Wrong, Spider Breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercapper View Post
This line in an earlier post in the thread "Program scrapes free data and gives it away as database" points to a clear violation of the terms of use of the web sites from which the information is obtained.

Most if not all sports web sites, including those in the racing industry, contains language the information is for personal, noncommercial use and may not be transferred or distributed in any way, as well as stating any use of robots, spiders and scrapers are prohibited.

This shouldn't be that hard to understand.

As Johnny Carson used to say.

Anyhow...
Sports results are in the public domain; in fact, data providers give away charts results as free downloads. Many users collect them, import them into databases(hard to do with pdf, but doable), slice them and dice them, etc.

The results are NOT being resold.
NO proprietary figures / formulas from the data providers are used AT ALL. And in fact, the lack of that makes the data kinda lacking. Users that want better buy their own data files and import them into the program.

I do find something hard to understand:

Putting aside technicalities...what is YOUR agenda here?
What do YOU wish to accomplish?
HOW are you helping promote the game here?
WHAT are you gaining from this?

PS I'm just a private bettor and have zero connections to the software provider.
But the poor guy works his tail off, gives lengthy free trial, then practically gives it away for $90...he has no fallback of a big salary for yakking away from some industry behemoth.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:49 PM   #25
ubercapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.XXX View Post

Sports results are in the public domain; in fact, data providers give away charts results as free downloads. Many users collect them, import them into databases(hard to do with pdf, but doable), slice them and dice them, etc.

The results are NOT being resold.

Re: Sports results are in the public domain.

There is usually a misunderstanding when a generalized statement like this is made, because although some racing information is factual (some examples being finish position, odds and payoffs), some of it is subjective information which is the product of someone's work, a few examples being internal positions and lengths ahead/behind. These are not in the public domain.

Additionally, charts may be available for free but their mere availability does not place them in the public domain, and use of the data is still subject to terms of use.

Re: The results not being sold.

It appears this is not the case here because whatever the fee is, it entitles the user access to the data which was scraped.
ubercapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-21-2018, 09:27 PM   #26
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
PS I'm just a private bettor and have zero connections to the software provider.
But the poor guy works his tail off, gives lengthy free trial, then practically gives it away for $90...he has no fallback of a big salary for yakking away from some industry behemoth.
Or, in other words, he's making a buck off of somebody else's hard work and investment (Equibase)....one could say that now, couldn't one, if one were to examine all sides of the coin.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:56 AM   #27
Mr.XXX

To address both J & M simultaneously:

Technicalities, Schtechnicalities.

Maybe the software is downloading individually for each user, at the provider's site...thus rendering my initial description erroneous(And again, most people import pay data with it, which is tons superior).

There is Fair Use too. And Frivolous Action.

I can't see any court rendering any potential Equibase action in their favor-- here, Public at large, you can eat the results for free...but only from my spoon & recipe...one mouthful at a time, no simultaneous mouthfuls...don't alter the flavor / add your own seasonings.

Don't shed any tears for Equibase, it was created by the Jockey Club to promote horse racing customer base and handle.
It doesn't compare to a private DRF, HDW, ITS, BRIS, etc...that can claim at least loss of potential revenue.

And have you been recently to the Equibase site? It's almost unusable with the ton of adware and security measures!
Firstly, you need a top of the line Android flagship or loaded Windows computer for a semi-decent surfing experience there.
Then, once you take care of that issue, you have to overcome ridiculous tricky captchas and lengthy puzzle solving both on initial entry and at random while already working at the site...seemingy triggered once you click more than a couple of different pdf results or database queries.
We need Bill Nader to be head of the Jockey Club, or at least of Equibase.

Anyhow,
back to what's the point of all this? It's akin to squashing squirrels or pigeons at the park. The software sells for peanuts(folks debate whether to spend this tiny amount, even with lengthy & full free trial ), and free data is not sold-- it's more used to gauge the potential of the paid data.

I'LL GIVE AWAY ONE SECRET:
Some of you ol' geezers who relied on fig providers way back in the day when there were only one or two around, and suffered a service interruption...forcing you to rely on raw times(+other factors, to compensate)...will really understand this.

I have multiple installations and compare different provider figs(fyi the Bris module will accept JCapper Silver data, for those wishing to do better than mechanized numbers) including TimeForm & the free data # for example.

A fair amount of times most numbers will agree or not be so far off from each other, including the free data number.
Other times, the latter assigns a worse number than the paid...and it is right less often than the others, as it should be.
SOMETIMES, most paid #'s concur(or are in similar range) BUT the free number differs to the high, assigning what looks to be too good #(either much the best, or much the second best despite large ML), usually at a big price. This is a great moneymaker in the horizontals and the lower slots of verticals.

PS QH has a pick auto selection algorithm that throws positive ROI "especially when you edit some of the paceline selection criteria and weighted factors to better suit the particular race type".
Old 09-25-2018, 09:54 PM   #28
Mr.XXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unified_Theory View Post
...Quick Horse software (by Quick Reckoning)..the interface is small and rather ugly
That's because you haven't done even the basics(same as the negative reviewer)...have you clicked through the menu bar? It's huge....you can edit the colors of columns, background & text... you can set the program different sizes up to full screen...It opens up small initially-- the trend is to work on phone, tablet, small laptop these days-- looks like any other high res program when you enlarge it / it's no ancient low res program.

You can add, remove, edit or create brand new any of the columns.

I suggest you revisit all the tutorials at least twice, and more important-- click every single command, method, filter, script, tool, sort by, etc. within the program. You won't break anything, all have help files and examples/starter scripts...can always revert to default. ..

You can go to the next level by taking a free scripting in windows tutorial(google it). Ditto for working with databases.
While you learn all that you can use the pace module(brohamer bpace in Methods, then click Sort By and add all the different Sartin segments) and pp's inside it. In Filters select your auto paceline preferences...can also manually select paceline(s).... You can use its picks, edit the criteria for its pick calculations....

It may take months to learn everything-- but will be worth it. You can do anything you want with the program...just about anything you can think of.

$95 is like basically free, but you need to be the self-starter type. You can pay more for other programs, which will hold your hand more, but will be much more limited in scope and function.
Another thing-- the folk who have their little gold mine going will either be afraid to divulge, or too busy to post.
You have to "go get it" with this software.
Old 10-01-2018, 08:17 PM   #29
Buckeye
Smarty Pants

Thank you Sir for explaining the general theory of physics.

Now I truly do know it all.
Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #30
UnifiedTheory

QH Revelations

Quote:
I use this... and have used practically all commercial software out there.
OP not shilling.
Program scrapes free data and gives it away as database... guy makes his own pars n variants. Or you can use Bris data(or the jcapper version).
Program has everything other programs have, BUT requires a lot of digging thru and tinkering. A steep learning curve. Then again, it's practically free. I Use it along with TIMEFORM. Nothing else needed... IF you thoroughly scour and learn it.
You can do database queries, sartin pace, form charting, etc.
Buutttt you have to spend time and force yourself to dig through it.
Different things work at different tracks.
It's a stick shift, but if you learn it, you can do things other programs can't.
If you use it casually without learning the details and features, you will lose money and blame the program.

Mr. XXX - I agree now with everything you've said about Quick Horse. And I think you've accurately described QH's unique position in the handicapping software marketplace.

I regret hastily saying the interface is small and rather ugly. The interface window sizing cannot be adjusted properly during initial setup but once that's complete the interface can be made full size through the edit part of the menu bar. And while the interface could look better...so could I. The main thing is it's functionality.

I'm still new to this hobby, but overall I'm thinking Quick Horse is in the Top 5 or at least in the Top 10 of all thoroughbred handicapping software at a small fraction of the usual prices. In my humble opinion.
UnifiedTheory is offline   Reply With Quote Reply

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: