Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - Sports

Old 09-06-2018, 11:52 AM   #1
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
NFL,2018

The NFL season starts tonight and I would like this to thread to be about professional FOOTBALL. It is most definitely NOT about:

* Kneeling
* Nike
* Colin Kaepernik
* Donald Trump
* Boycotts
* Anything political.

If the above categories get you going, well God bless.But there are plenty of threads in both Sports and OT-General covering those topics or you can start your own thread.Can you dig it? .Glad you agree.

It is most definitely about :

* Predictions
* News
* Gambling
* Players,coaches ,teams & games
* Playoffs

Last year I did my prognostication thing on the Thursday Night games.I like the TNF because the teams are usually meeting on more or less the same terms.The NFL tries to have the visiting team not have to travel that far, thus avoiding time zone fatigue and a team doesn't play on Thursday if they are just coming off a bye. The fewer differing factors between teams makes betting easier, though it's still not easy. .Last year, I did OK ,going 19-9-2 (I do both the win and the over/under), finishing 8-5-2 in the win column and 11-4 on the O/U. For the spreads, I use the vegasinsider.com consensus of six Las Vegas sports books such as Wynn, MGM Mirage and Circus Circus (jk on that last one ),it's updated frequently,so the number I see when I do my choices is when I make the post.

Who do I like in the Super Bowl? I don't like the Patriots.They'll win the AFC East by default, although both Miami and the Jets have improved.But the Brady-Bellichik era is coming to an end.They could get to the Big Game because the AFC isn't up to much but Padre Time always wins and TB 12 is no different.Bellichik's arrogance may have worn out its welcome in Foxboro,especially after the Malcolm Butler fiasco.Players tolerated Bill because they knew they had a real shot at a ring but after all that effort only to come up short because the coach wanted to send a "message" (I guess when Butler retires, we'll finally get the truth) will not go over well.They lost Matt Patricia and several key role players.Not seeing them winning.

I think it will be the Steelers and the Falcons in the SB with Atlanta winning.The Falcons have had a year to recover from the trauma of blowing the Super Bowl 2 years ago and there's a lot of talent on that team.

As for tonight's game, the champion Philadelphia Eagles will hoist the flag, then play the Falcons at Philly. The spread as I write this is pick'em (opened at Eagles by 4) with an O/U of 44 1/2.I will take the Falcons and the over.The Eagles did a remarkable job of getting a journeyman like Nick Foles through the playoffs but eventually Cinderella's coach turns into a pumpkin and midnight is drawing nigh.I prefer the over most times but often the early season is a feeling out process that favors defense.Going to be a little contrarian with that thinking.I think we see a close game in the 27-23 range.

Let the games begin!

Fleetwood Mac, Oh Well, Part 1 (1969)

Last edited by barahona44; 09-06-2018 at 11:54 AM.
barahona44 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-06-2018, 03:07 PM   #2
Robert Fischer
clean money

Falcons look tough tonight.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
Robert Fischer
clean money

weird analogy

Not sure how many people here reading this post ever played video games or arcade games? ...

The Falcons are built like that player who makes it to the end of the level, dies and then starts over.

They can whiz through the regular season level, they have everything mastered.

Eagles in a different boat. They overachieved and won last year, now they have to prove they are still hungry, healthy enough, and with some different pieces.

I actually like Foles a lot, and feel he can be successful with an offense tailored to his strengths/weaknesses - but that's also a situation where the Eagles coaching has to decide whether to take the growing pains of the Foles offense or to have Foles continue with the regular offense that was so successful last year for Wentz (and some Foles).

Guessing as a fan, but I would think early success would be key for the Eagles in this game. Game could get away from them if they start cold. Falcons 27, Eagles 10
Old 09-07-2018, 04:01 AM   #4
proximity

are the colts still favored?

they have three good safeties (if they stay healthy) but otherwise i don't see how this defense stops anyone?
proximity is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 08:35 AM   #5
barahona44

Location: Diez meses en Port St. Lucie, FL; two months in the Dominican Republic
That was a sloppy game last night.A thousand penalties, nobody could score in the red zone, missed extra point.An exciting finish but if Matt Ryan has 5 shots inside the 10 to win and throws 5 straight incompletions, that'a not boding well for the idea to play your regulars as little as possible in the preseason ;I'll bet we will see more sloppy play on Sunday and next week, too.

As for me, off to a bad start, missed the win and the O/U.
Week 1 - 0-2-0 (Win 0-1-0, O/U 0-1-0)

Old 09-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
Inner Dirt

Anyone else get tired of how the rules and there interpretation change drastically every year? I hate to slow the game down but if they are going to call as many unnecessary roughness penalties they need to be reviewed. The interpretation of the you can't hit the QB low rule or whatever it is called is a real joke. I saw a guy get flagged for just trying to dive and wrap up the QB's legs while getting blocked. Now it appears you can't land on a QB while tackling him. Defenders are going to start getting hurt trying to contort themselves while tackling to avoid penalties.

Might as well have the QB play flag while the rest play tackle. Since that will make it easier to sack him you have to count two Mississippis before rushing.

I started watching football in grade school in the 60's I remember when Sonny Jurgensen was as bloody and battered as Dick Butkus after a game.
Now they want QBs to look like they never got in the game,
Inner Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by barahona44 View Post
That was a sloppy game last night.A thousand penalties, nobody could score in the red zone, missed extra point.An exciting finish but if Matt Ryan has 5 shots inside the 10 to win and throws 5 straight incompletions, that'a not boding well for the idea to play your regulars as little as possible in the preseason ;I'll bet we will see more sloppy play on Sunday and next week, too.

As for me, off to a bad start, missed the win and the O/U.
Week 1 - 0-2-0 (Win 0-1-0, O/U 0-1-0)
Big part of that game.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Robert Fischer
clean money

3 picks

COLTS -2.5 vs cinci

MIAMI +1 vs tenn

OAKLAND +4 vs la rams
Old 09-07-2018, 01:41 PM   #9
barahona44

2 casual picks

Vikings. -6 1/2 over the 49ers.San Francisco won their last 5 games in 2017, so a lot of people have them pinned as this year's Rams. Not so fast.

Baltimore-Buffalo. O/U of 40 1/2 , take the under.Most years, there'a a surprise team that gets to the Super Bowl or the conference championship.I think the Ravens could be that team.John Harbaugh's on the hot seat and Joe Flacco, has some competition for his job.Buffalo lucked out and backed into the playoffs last year.Bills are having Josh Allen sit for now at QB.When the Bills announced that Nathan Peterman, who tied an NFL record when he threw 5 interceptions in one half in his only start last year, was starting, the line jumped from 3 to 7 for Baltimore almost immediately.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #10
HHE10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by proximity View Post
are the colts still favored?

they have three good safeties (if they stay healthy) but otherwise i don't see how this defense stops anyone?

Well the team has kind of fell apart when Luck was hurt for the season.
HHE10 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-07-2018, 10:40 PM   #11
Robert Fischer
clean money

O/U for the STEELERS @ BROWNS has dipped almost a TD since open.

maybe the likely heavy rains Sunday?

Can't be the LeVeon Bell soap-opera. The timing there doesn't fit; we knew Bell was unlikely for Week 1...

I'll stick with my 3 picks, but weather could help the Browns and newly acquired QB Tyrod Taylor (his running game and bad weather résumé from Buffalo) be more competitive with the Steelers.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:57 PM   #12
Robert Fischer
clean money

COLTS -2.5 vs cinci

MIAMI +1 vs tenn

OAKLAND +4 vs la rams

CLEVELAND +4 vs pitt
Old 09-08-2018, 01:06 AM   #13
newtothegame

Ill jump in here if you guys don't mind and lay a few of my wagers....
Prior to that though, the falcons/Eagles game was dismal. The FalCants again prove why they can't win a big game. Good for me being a Saints fan but they are not all that they are hyped to be and last night showed it. The eagles were offensive to say the least with NO offensive fire power and the falcons continue the trend of not being able to "finish" either drives or games!

With that being said, The Saints win it all this year!

My picks for the week,

GB-7 at home vs the bears

Chargers -3.5 versus the chiefs

Dolphins +1 versus Titans
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men,deriving their just powers from the consent of the
governed.
newtothegame is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
Robert Fischer
clean money

some good games today

really interested in how my Steelers(my team) fare vs the Browns(a week 1 pick) and how much rain hits. Looking at how I basically picked Atlanta in the Thursday opener, 0-1 on the season with 3 live picks for today.

only a couple hours for the 1 o'clock games, I know there are some more pigskin prognosticators in here
Old 09-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #15
PhantomOnTour
C'est Tout

I believe Deshaun Watson will be exposed this year.
He put up great numbers last year but I still think he isn't a good passer. The old D corrodinators have film now and they will figure him out.
Texans will underachieve once again

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: