Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Off Topic > Off Topic - General

Old 10-21-2018, 11:59 PM   #1
Dave Schwartz

Jordan Peterson book

Today I ran across this article about Jordan Peterson's book.

Why the Left Is So Afraid of Jordan Peterson

I've purchased the book and look forward to reading it.

Any comments?
Dave Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2018, 12:12 AM   #2
thaskalos

I am a leftist...and I think Peterson is GREAT!

I bought Peterson's 12 Rules For Life...and was so impressed by it that, upon finishing it...I subsequently bought the audiobook version as well. This is the first time that I've become aware of the book's "anti-leftist" stance.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaskalos View Post
I bought Peterson's 12 Rules For Life...and was so impressed by it that, upon finishing it...I subsequently bought the audiobook version as well. This is the first time that I've become aware of the book's "anti-leftist" stance.
Thank you. Is it actually anti-left?

Did you read the article?

I'm a little behind in my reading. It is #3 in line, so should get to it by next weekend.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:03 AM   #4
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

I finished reading it a week or so ago.

I don't really think it's anti-left, but more of a "you have to take care of yourself," which is, I guess, these days, anti-left...because the left wants government to care for us all.

But I digress.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:11 AM   #5
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
Thank you. Is it actually anti-left?

Did you read the article?

I'm a little behind in my reading. It is #3 in line, so should get to it by next weekend.
IMO...Peterson is a brilliant thinker with the admirable trait of being unable to pull a punch. His personal philosophy is well thought-out, and he is interested in making his readers THINK...instead of trying to appear "agreeable" to them. To the "fanatic", Peterson may appear "anti-left"..."anti-right"..."anti-government"..."anti-religious"..."anti-atheistic", etc...and all in the same chapter. The true intellectuals can't possibly be pigeonholed into the nice-and-neat social "compartments" that our society tries to file them in...and Peterson is nothing if not a "true intellectual".

A word of advice...since you mentioned being "behind in your reading". Think about taking out a membership at audible.com...a company recently bought out by Amazon. A reasonable monthly fee gets you monthly credits which you can trade in for thousands and thousands of these books in an audio version...which is a very convenient way to enjoy a good book, even when operating under a hectic schedule. I listen to the great books over and over...and find that I learn more by REREADING one great book, than by reading ten different lesser ones.

Last edited by thaskalos; 10-22-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:13 AM   #6
thaskalos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaceAdvantage View Post
I finished reading it a week or so ago.

I don't really think it's anti-left, but more of a "you have to take care of yourself," which is, I guess, these days, anti-left...because the left wants government to care for us all.

But I digress.
You said earlier that, if we piss you off...then we are permanently banned. What happens if YOU piss us off?
Old 10-22-2018, 01:49 AM   #7
PaceAdvantage
PA Steward

Quote:
You said earlier that, if we piss you off...then we are permanently banned. What happens if YOU piss us off?
I'm not answering any questions related to what I wrote yesterday....so don't bother...
Old 10-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
woodtoo

I love to watch Peter Jordan interviews especially the University student ones.

I started reading '12 Rules' but his writing style didn't agree with me,maybe Ill try the audio.
woodtoo is online now   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2018, 12:53 PM   #9
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
IMO...Peterson is a brilliant thinker with the admirable trait of being unable to pull a punch. His personal philosophy is well thought-out, and he is interested in making his readers THINK...instead of trying to appear "agreeable" to them. To the "fanatic", Peterson may appear "anti-left"..."anti-right"..."anti-government"..."anti-religious"..."anti-atheistic", etc...and all in the same chapter. The true intellectuals can't possibly be pigeonholed into the nice-and-neat social "compartments" that our society tries to file them in...and Peterson is nothing if not a "true intellectual".
Thask,

OK, since I make it a point to listen when people I respect talk on a subject that they know, I dove into this book while I was waiting for a blood draw this morning.

I'm only 32% into the book (or so my Kindle app tells me) and already I know two things:

1. He is a bit too low-level philosophical for me.

(On THAT topic... I do not believe I have ever met someone of Greek extraction who did not love a well-stated philosophy discussion.)

2. The book has amazing ideas. It belongs at the top of my list.

From what I've read thus far, your assessment is pretty accurate: It seems to be a politically-neutral book, being far more concerned about the center of our "self."

Quote:
A word of advice...since you mentioned being "behind in your reading". Think about taking out a membership at audible.com...a company recently bought out by Amazon. A reasonable monthly fee gets you monthly credits which you can trade in for thousands and thousands of these books in an audio version...which is a very convenient way to enjoy a good book, even when operating under a hectic schedule. I listen to the great books over and over...and find that I learn more by REREADING one great book, than by reading ten different lesser ones.
Audible doesn't work for me. I simply read far faster than anyone can speak. In addition, deep content books such as this one contain many paragraphs that must be read multiple times for understanding.

BTW, I also watch a lot of YouTube videos. Generally, I watch those at 1.5x, but, depending upon how fast the speaker talks, I may turn it up to as much as 2.2 or so.

There are great browser extensions for this, BTW.
Old 10-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
Suff
Beat up 💪

Peterson is good.

Peterson has inspired people to examine individual responsibility and happiness. That's a good thing. He's mass market lite-philosophy in the way Joel Olsteen is lite-bible.

If you've read On Liberty by John Stuart Mills , Pederson spoon-feeds Mills writings, which were much deeper, and guided multiple US presidents.

NY Times op/ed on Peterson that drove 500+ comments.

Last edited by Suff; 10-22-2018 at 01:27 PM.
Suff is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 10-22-2018, 04:30 PM   #11
TJDave

Self-help books are a contradiction in terms.
Old 10-22-2018, 05:08 PM   #12
Dave Schwartz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJDave View Post
Self-help books are a contradiction in terms.
How about Be Your Own Best Friend?
Old 10-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #13
TJDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Schwartz View Post
How about Be Your Own Best Friend?
Can’t. I know too much about myself.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: