Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > **TRIPLE CROWN TRAIL**

Old 05-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #91
GMB@BP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Um, two of Arrogate's last three races don't reflect well on Baffert.
cause the horse didint run well? I dont see how that is a condemnation of baffert. the horse was fine physically. these are animals not machines
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 05:21 PM   #92
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB@BP View Post
cause the horse didint run well? I dont see how that is a condemnation of baffert. the horse was fine physically. these are animals not machines
The horse was short. The previous poost claimed Baffert never brought a short horse to a big race.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-10-2018, 05:27 PM   #93
GaryG
Unreconstructed

Point Given was short for the derby. I believe Baffert said that he made the mistake of training him for the TC instead of the derby. PG won the Preakness and Belmont and I am pretty sure Monarchos never won another race.
Old 05-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #94
JustRalph
Just another Facist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryG View Post
Point Given was short for the derby. I believe Baffert said that he made the mistake of training him for the TC instead of the derby. PG won the Preakness and Belmont and I am pretty sure Monarchos never won another race.
Monarchos was interesting. I remember 30 seconds after the race my father said to me..... “that horse will never win again”

He went on to tell me how there is a place you can push them to only once. They never recover.........
JustRalph is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 02:29 AM   #95
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by dilanesp View Post
Um, two of Arrogate's last three races don't reflect well on Baffert.
You’re forgetting all the things people were saying about Arrogate before the Pegasus. Lots of people were convinced the horse wasn’t right and he showed up and hammered that field.

It’s not Baffert’s fault if the horse just lost it. Aroogate just faded to finish his career. Arrogate lost a step, plain and simple. Nothing Baffert could have done to change that.

That’s small potatoes compared to, for example Pletcher. Who got Uncle Mo’s ass kicked repeatedly, never figured out Quality Road and then the big cherry on top named Life at Ten.

When it comes to training a champion horse and bringing the horse in to turn in a quality effort Baffert is untouchable. No one can win every race, but if it’s a prized horse in a big money situation no way will Baffert run anything but his fastest bullet.

If Justify shows up for the Preakness he will win by open lengths. No question. This race won’t have anyone in the same galaxy as him talent wise.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 06:53 AM   #96
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post
You’re forgetting all the things people were saying about Arrogate before the Pegasus. Lots of people were convinced the horse wasn’t right and he showed up and hammered that field.

It’s not Baffert’s fault if the horse just lost it. Aroogate just faded to finish his career. Arrogate lost a step, plain and simple. Nothing Baffert could have done to change that.

That’s small potatoes compared to, for example Pletcher. Who got Uncle Mo’s ass kicked repeatedly, never figured out Quality Road and then the big cherry on top named Life at Ten.

When it comes to training a champion horse and bringing the horse in to turn in a quality effort Baffert is untouchable. No one can win every race, but if it’s a prized horse in a big money situation no way will Baffert run anything but his fastest bullet.

If Justify shows up for the Preakness he will win by open lengths. No question. This race won’t have anyone in the same galaxy as him talent wise.
A horse doesn't "lose a step" after a whopping 3 top races in a whopping 11 race career.

Last edited by Fager Fan; 05-11-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #97
Vinnie

Unusually and most peculiarly Arrogate did just that...

Vinnie

"All Human error is impatience; a premature renunciation of method"- F. Kafka
Vinnie is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 08:25 AM   #98
Fager Fan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
Unusually and most peculiarly Arrogate did just that...
Fager Fan is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 09:15 AM   #99
Prioress Ply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fager Fan View Post
In 1988 Criminal Type won the Santa Anita Derby as a six year old. Super Diamond won a GII the next year as a 9 year old. Fourstardave was winning stakes races when he was 10. Wake me the next time any of Baffert's "championship horses" make it to that age and remain on top. It's a fair question to ask why.
Prioress Ply is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 10:06 AM   #100
Grits

This is an honest question that I can't fully recall an answer to. Maybe Spaulding would know...given he has, I swear, a photographic memory!

Have any of Bob's champions gone on to become leading sires, or better yet, sire of sires. I can't recall a one. If not, why not?

I was only able to find this, in addition to remembering Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Point Given, War Emblem, Silver Bullet Day, a couple of others. But you all may know far more than me. I only recall his champions that have "flattened out" in the breeding shed.

http://bradleythoroughbreds.com/trainers/bob-baffert/
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 10:14 AM   #101
GMB@BP

Midnight Lute
GMB@BP is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #102
cj
@TimeformUSfigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
This is an honest question that I can't fully recall an answer to. Maybe Spaulding would know...given he has, I swear, a photographic memory!

Have any of Bob's champions gone on to become leading sires, or better yet, sire of sires. I can't recall a one. If not, why not?

I was only able to find this, in addition to remembering Silver Charm, Real Quiet, Point Given, War Emblem, Silver Bullet Day, a couple of others. But you all may know far more than me. I only recall his champions that have "flattened out" in the breeding shed.

http://bradleythoroughbreds.com/trainers/bob-baffert/
Silverbulletday was never going to be a leading sire.
cj is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #103
Rex Phinney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prioress Ply View Post
In 1988 Criminal Type won the Santa Anita Derby as a six year old. Super Diamond won a GII the next year as a 9 year old. Fourstardave was winning stakes races when he was 10. Wake me the next time any of Baffert's "championship horses" make it to that age and remain on top. It's a fair question to ask why.
I don't know much about Criminal Type, but I think it's safe to say he did not win the Santa Anita Derby at age 6...

I do know that Baffert trained Game on Dude won the Santa Anita Handicap at age 7. He did it in 1:58 and change and beat Will Take Charge and Mucho Macho Man.

Breeding is the overwhelmingly simple answer to your question of why Baffert's horses don't stay on top longer. Baffert cannot control when the horses are retired to stud, the higher up on the quality scale you go the sooner they are retired.
Rex Phinney is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:12 PM   #104
Grits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj View Post
Silverbulletday was never going to be a leading sire.
Dis is true...very good observation!
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-11-2018, 12:15 PM   #105
dilanesp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Phinney View Post

I actually agree with your overall point. I just don't think it is true that Baffert never runs a short horse. He is obviously much better than Pletcher.
dilanesp is offline   Reply With Quote Reply