Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board

Go Back   Horse Racing Forum - PaceAdvantage.Com - Horse Racing Message Board > Thoroughbred Horse Racing Discussion > General Racing Discussion

Old 11-28-2018, 10:43 PM   #16
Afleet

they know its stupid to bet into a 25% take?
Afleet is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 11:26 PM   #17
Zaf
Pace Cappa

Minority but trust me there are many out there

Z
Old 11-29-2018, 02:33 AM   #18
ultracapper

My wife loves betting the horses, but finds the simulcast outlet close to us a dirty, disgusting pit with a clientele just a cut above the local methadone clinic.

And she's absolutely right.

The only two women there most days are the two gals that work at the windows, and after a day of work there, they're off to the methadone clinic. No self-respecting women would set foot in my local simulcast outlet, and very few self-respecting men are there. I used to go there a couple times a month. I've been there less than a half dozen times in the past 3 years. I much prefer, as my wife does, betting from home.
ultracapper is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #19
biggestal99

My wife loves the races.

She likes Monmouth, adores the New Meadowlands, and loves Saratoga.
Belmont....meh

doesnt like OTBs she's been to. Haven't had the nerve to take her to Aqueduct yet.

and yes she likes to bet.

she knows the classes (rudimentary knowledge) and form.

if she has a question she will ask. Is this horse dropping in class?

she also likes money won.

when she comes home from work on Saturdays and Sundays (she works retail) and I have been betting the exchange.

she asks me how much?

Allan
biggestal99 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:17 PM   #20
NorCalGreg
Authorized Advertiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasone View Post
Because they are smarter?

I was going to say 'Because women have more sense"....then someone mentioned the slot machine thing---shot that theory all to hell.
NorCalGreg is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #21
Grits

For 20 years I've gone back and forth to NY, primarily, for racing. Too...had a second home in Kentucky because I love racing. I've spent a lot of time at the track, every year and it's been due to my love of horses and of handicapping.

Most women do not want to learn to handicap horse races. It is a long and arduous process that they care absolutely nothing about, though, they are all smiles when you hand them part of your winnings, gentlemen. As you know, you're a genius then.

I've walked and stayed all day, into the night, in some dive OTBs. Not caring that I was the only woman in the building except for the mutuel clerks. I've also been in the fine dining spots, clubhouses, etc. They're more women in those, but they can't usually handicap either.

Learn the game. Then, think, walk and talk with purpose. Don't be bothered that you may be the only woman close by.

One thing I can say... be careful approaching any woman sitting alone, handicapping and betting. .... I wasn't in a dive, I was at Keeneland. For two days, this guy sat down at my table, trying to make small talk. I paid little attention, went about my business. He drank beer. On the third day, he blurts out, "I wanna know where I stand." I raised my head. And looked across my table. " Where you stand?? With me?? Dude, I've put up with you for three days. I don't give a damn where you stand. Now get up, or I'll call security. You can't even handicap and I've heard "who ya like" for my last time."

Gentlemen, don't interrupt us when we're busy. And good luck finding those of us that love the sport.
Grits is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:33 PM   #22
ReplayRandall
Buckle Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalGreg View Post
I was going to say 'Because women have more sense"....then someone mentioned the slot machine thing---shot that theory all to hell.
Less takeout on the slots....Might be sitting next to them soon...
ReplayRandall is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
thaskalos

There was a beautiful Russian girl who used to come to my local Chicago-area OTB. She used to sit alone, and was deep in handicapping thought...while the local "playboys" would periodically walk up to her and try to impress her by giving her picks on horses that they liked. "Don't even tell me the name of the horse. Here...take $10 and bet $5 to win and place on it for me"...she used to tell them with a disarming smile. As I recall...she was never told that any of her bets ever lost. If the OTB hadn't shut down...she would surely have been rich by now. I hope that she had the good sense to take her surefire system to some other wagering locale.

Last edited by thaskalos; 11-29-2018 at 12:55 PM.
thaskalos is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 11-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #24
Robert Fischer
clean money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
For 20 years I've gone back and forth to NY, primarily, for racing. Too...had a second home in Kentucky because I love racing. I've spent a lot of time at the track, every year and it's been due to my love of horses and of handicapping.

Most women do not want to learn to handicap horse races. It is a long and arduous process that they care absolutely nothing about, though, they are all smiles when you hand them part of your winnings, gentlemen. As you know, you're a genius then.

I've walked and stayed all day, into the night, in some dive OTBs. Not caring that I was the only woman in the building except for the mutuel clerks. I've also been in the fine dining spots, clubhouses, etc. They're more women in those, but they can't usually handicap either.

Learn the game. Then, think, walk and talk with purpose. Don't be bothered that you may be the only woman close by.

One thing I can say... be careful approaching any woman sitting alone, handicapping and betting. .... I wasn't in a dive, I was at Keeneland. For two days, this guy sat down at my table, trying to make small talk. I paid little attention, went about my business. He drank beer. On the third day, he blurts out, "I wanna know where I stand." I raised my head. And looked across my table. " Where you stand?? With me?? Dude, I've put up with you for three days. I don't give a damn where you stand. Now get up, or I'll call security. You can't even handicap and I've heard "who ya like" for my last time."

Gentlemen, don't interrupt us when we're busy. And good luck finding those of us that love the sport.

I'm lucky that my sweetheart likes animals, and doesn't gamble or drink. She simply enjoys the live racing, fresh air, atmosphere. We always split something like pizza, popcorn, a hot tea...

If I win, I take her out for some nice food, and if I lose I cook a nice dinner at home.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: